It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obstructing and Perverting Our Reality

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
A couple of days ago I came upon a blog titled "Photos hop Disasters"

I spent hours looking over it, bursting into laughter at some of the terrible Photoshop jobs found in prominent magazines and news articles, but I also became outraged at what I found. I've known for years that models and celebrities were airbrushed into perfection, but I had no idea how common it was to swap out heads, bodies, and body parts. It shocked me. Being female I can't help but to occasionally compare myself to the women on these covers. They look so perfect. Unfortunately even the models who's body appearance we'd love to duplicate with our own are not perfect enough for some designers or art directors. Though they may already have perfect bodies, someone at some magazine decides that their legs are not long and skinny enough, or that their waistlines aren't slender enough, or that someone else's arms would look better on that body.
When I saw some of those photos, I had to wonder why in the world anybody needed to adjust anything at all. I can understand adjusting the lighting or smudging away a bad blemish,.... but to warp the body to physically impossible poses and dimensions is, simply put, horridly insulting.

Models are one thing, and news photos are another. I found numerous horrible photoshop jobs from "The Daily Mail" within this blog. Whoever is in charge of their art directing needs to be fired immediately. The blog contains at least five images with huge mistakes in them. On the other hand I'm glad for the mistakes, because they are evidence of shameless manipulation. It frightens me to think how many photos in how many newspapers are photoshopped on a daily basis. I'm sure that from now on I will look at every photo with an extra dose of suspicion.

Our sense of reality is being twisted and warped in more ways than some of us realize. Should something be done about this? Are there laws against photo manipulation in news publications? Are there consequences? Magazine covers could be considered a form of "art" even though they lightly suggest it should be taken as the truth, but photos manipulated to support a news article certainly must be against the law. Am I wrong?

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I know what you mean, so much of what is in the media is a million miles away from reality. It's just all so fake, from people's physical appearances to the lifestyles people are supposed to aspire to. And then there is the whole obsession with fame, it's as if that's supposed to be the highest thing people can aspire to.

And not only that but i noticed it doesn't stop there, it goes on to the attitudes of people and the beliefs they should have, and these myths on how the world works and what people expect, or how men and women should behave or what they should wear to impress each other and all that other nonsense. I am pretty sure most men and women want more or less the same thing in the end.
I have noticed that they seem to keep putting out this myth that people have to be arrogant and boorish to get ahead, or that people who are really good at something are just naturally gifted (obviously people have their own talents etc but the media seem to miss out the fact that usually people have worked pretty hard to get good at a particular skill etc whether it's being a musician or a scientist or whatever). Sometimes I can hardly be bothered to watch TV anymore and I don't buy magazines. Whenever I happen to look at a newspaper I usually think, ugh, how depressing.
I wish they would make magazines and newspapers about more positive things. We need more than just things about people achieving some impossible ideal, it's so unhealthy.

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
They are allowed to as long as somewhere in the paper they have a 2 pixel line saying that they reserve the right to doctor any photos that they want to support any position that they want. News is supposed to be unbiased, but today it ALWAYS IS. It's all about whether they want us to vote for the red idiots or the blue idiots, because that determines how much money they will receive in grants for the next 4 years. Such is America; strong, proud, free.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
it wont be against the law, theres a previous contract with the model or a statement somewhere. everything must be fake.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
i think its natural and a by/buy product of peoples hands labors works and deeds. i feel what you are describing is a natural state at present of what "reality" is; and your feelings make me feel elated that i am single and havent given into the product being sold, even withstanding my own end in the face of the marketing.there is no obstruction to me other than your own feelings of being inadequate; and the pervert is not reality but myself for being amused at the thought that i should be aroused at the product being marketed.

top topics

join