It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would you say if all of religion was proven false?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Whatever your beliefs in life. Let's say someone showed you a vast amount of evidence declaring you beliefs in life are wrong. What would you do and how would you react? Let's say all religious beliefs are wrong. Would you denounce your religion and become an Atheist or make up your on religion?

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Already happened to me. I took stock of what little I thought I knew of the universe and assembled a philosophy that I could guide myself with. So yeah, I guess you could say I made up my own religion. But I keep it to myself usually.

"Folks that want to share their religion with you rarely want you to share their religion with them"

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Does it really matter, as it stands right now no one can prove that it is wrong. The most anyone can provide is why they feel it is wrong, maybe it will strike a chord in some while others it doesn't. So the absolute best you can do at this point is make an argument based on what you believe to be so or not. If someone could actually prove it to me, it wouldn't make much difference at all, because whether or not it were factually true, I do believe that life truly is better the way Jesus taught it.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Heya ops.

I was wondering for a moment if my thread somehow made it out of the ether. heh

So, What happens to you if/when religion is proven false?

20 pages, ultimate result is...for the most part, athiest/agnostics will weigh in and contemplate the question, and religious people will dance around the subject and not put alot of thought into the question sadly.

I personally would worry. I see religion as a bloody and evil mark on humanity, but on a person to person level, many people are using religion strictly to keep them from being destructive to self or others.

Religion is the invisible "Dont do that, dad is watching" excuse which keeps some people from doing some really bad stuff. Until this is fixed somehow, religion is needed on at the very least, the mentally challenged and those whom refuse to take ownership of their actions and having a personal code of morals and ethics.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   

It wouldn't really affect me at all. I'm agnostic (borderline atheist). I've found that religion is another anomaly that cannot be physically proven, just like ghosts, UFOs, Bigfoot, parallel universes, and so on. Lest we forget the day we learned Santa Claus was a hoax, although it is still a global phenomena. People will believe what they are compelled to believe whether it be based on blind faith, 'testimonials', media, social conformity, or family history, etc. It's the same basis of the illusion of 'the American Way'. We pick what we think we are, and throw the rest away.

edit to add: The plain fact that if there is an Alien Disclosure, it would throw the very concept of God into chaos, which would have profound effects into ANY organized religion.
edit on 11-10-2010 by OuttaTime because: adding

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

I agree with this guy. I figured they all were a wash so I developed several theories and studied on each one until I had narrowed it down into something I could dig. I do keep quiet about it, lest my theories have to be revised due to some new revelation that has to be factored in.

I'm really interested though, if you don't mind rogerstigers, what your philosophy is that you came up with?

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
and what would you do if it turned out to be true

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by sykickvision
I'm really interested though, if you don't mind rogerstigers, what your philosophy is that you came up with?

Send me a U2U and I will reply.. I do not want to hijack this thread.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Romantic_Rebel,

IF,,,,it turned out no religion was true there would be no reason for much of anything except to grab all you could and then someone would grab it from you and I'll leave you to that merry go round. The big question really is what can you do when it turns out to be true, it will be too late then, now is the time for a right decision.

Truthiron

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthiron

Romantic_Rebel,

IF,,,,it turned out no religion was true there would be no reason for much of anything except to grab all you could and then someone would grab it from you and I'll leave you to that merry go round. The big question really is what can you do when it turns out to be true, it will be too late then, now is the time for a right decision.

Truthiron

Um, are you implying that without religion the only thing we would have left is moraless materialism? I just don't see any evidence of that. Many folks have given up on religion or never had it in the first place but are not materialists. In fact, several I have known personally are quite philanthropic or philosophical.

If, however, people only choose to do the right thing because their god told them to, well, then that shows, IMHO, an incredible lack of character.
edit on 10-11-2010 by rogerstigers because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Nothing would happen if religions were proved untrue.

An Example: The Jehovah Witness religion has predicted specific years for Armageddon to begin 5+ times over the last 100 years. While losing a small percentage of their membership after each incident, the majority remained members. Their membership is still growing despite the fact that time proved their bible-based predictions were untrue.

The ability to spin (re: lie with an element of truth) a story that allows confused believers to be able to believe again will win out over facts and personal experience almost every time.

top topics

join