It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our History - Astro-Archeology and Ancient / Lost Civilizations - Resources and Information

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I recently made a post about human kinds history, lost cities being found under the worlds oceans and the scientific expeditions to document and explore these sites. While going through that site I noticed they have another section dedicated to Astro Archeology.

It delves into ancient mans obsession with the stars and universe, and how it played a role in civilizations development.

I decided to make a seperate post since it deals with another major topic outside of the underwater archeology (MODS - if this needs to be combined with the other thread, please do so).

The Morien Institute - Astro Archeology

A few examples:

Aborigines may have been first astronomers - 2009

Aboriginal Australians may have been the world's earliest astronomers, says a Sydney scientist who has used ancient "Dreaming" stories and Google Earth maps to locate a previously unknown meteorite crater in the Northern Territory.

The Astronomical Orientation of Ancient Greek Temples

The mysteries of La Hougue Bie - 2009

The 6,000 year-old burial site at La Hougue Bie is one of the best preserved remnants of the Neolithic period in Western Europe.

Every spring and autumn crowds of people gather to watch the equinox from inside the chamber.

Archaeologists can make educated guesses about what went on there, but much is shrouded in mystery.

North America comet theory questioned - 2009

An independent study has cast more doubt on a controversial theory that a comet exploded over icy North America nearly 13,000 years ago, wiping out the Clovis people and many of the continent's large animals.

A ship of stones - 2009

The serious photographers were here at dawn, capturing the silhouettes as the sun rose from the sea beyond. We've missed that moment but there is still plenty of magic hovering around the Ales Stenar. It's the mystery surrounding these prehistoric stone circles that appeals to us. We can imagine they were erected with great difficulty, massive boulders being dragged across country and up a steep hill, then carefully aligned with the heavens and set on end. But the purpose of all that effort remains unknown and even scholars can only make guesses.

Mexican Archaeologists from INAH Explore Prehispanic Observatory in Tabasco - 2010

MEXICO CITY.- Researchers of the National Institute of Anthropology and History (INAH) study a Prehispanic monticule known as Structure 12, at San Claudio Archaeological Zone in Tabasco, which may have had been used as an astronomical observatory to register the Sun movements at solstices when this city was dwelled by Maya people, between the first centuries of the Common Era to year 900.

According to archaeologist Jose Luis Romero Rivera, director of the INAH project at the site located in Tenosique municipality, Structure 12 is a 2.5 meters high base, with other 2 bases slightly tallest at the north and south extremes.

“It is probable that people accessed the structures by the esplanade or central yard. It is a stone construction with batter walls and rounded corners resembling the Peten style but of smaller dimensions”.

Nebra sky disk discarded because of volcanic ash, scientists say - 2010

Halle/Mainz, Germany - A catastrophic volcanic eruption spewing huge clouds of ash about 3,600 years ago was behind the burial of the Nebra sky disk, one of the most spectacular archaeological finds in recent years, according to scientists at Mainz and Halle-Wittenberg universities in Germany.

The 3,600-year-old disk, discovered in 1999 near the town of Nebra in the eastern German state of Saxony-Anhalt, is the oldest known representation of the night sky. It is thought by some to have been used as an astronomical clock to determine when to add a thirteenth month synchronising the lunar calendar with the solar year.

Syria's Stonehenge: Neolithic stone circles, alignments and possible tombs discovered - 2010

Dr. Mason explains that he “went for a walk” into the eastern perimeter of the site - an area that hasn’t been explored by archaeologists. What he discovered is an ancient landscape of stone circles, stone alignments and what appear to be corbelled roof tombs. From stone tools found at the site, it’s likely that the features date to some point in the Middle East’s Neolithic Period – a broad stretch of time between roughly 8500 BC – 4300 BC.

The Thirteen Towers: Peruvian Citadel is Site of Earliest Ancient Solar Observatory in the Americas - 2007

The Thirteen Towers of Chankillo have been discovered to span, almost exactly, the annual rising and setting arcs of the sun when viewed from two specially constructed observation points.

The existence of this observatory predates the European conquests by 1,800 years and even precedes the monuments of similar purpose constructed by the Mayans in Central America.

Chankillo is a large ceremonial centre covering several square kilometers. It was better known in the past for a heavily fortified hilltop structure with massive walls, restricted gates, and parapets. But the purpose of a 300m-long line of Thirteen Towers lying along a small hill nearby had remained a mystery. New evidence now identifies it as a solar observatory.

There is a lot of information on this part of the sites archive. Again there seems to be an underlying theme talking about these structures being built 5,000 to 12,000 years ago. Like the Underwater Archeology thread, these sites on land are challenging modern science and timline of human civilization.

edit on 10-10-2010 by Xcathdra because: spelling, links, etc

edit on 10-10-2010 by Xcathdra because: Title fix

edit on 10-10-2010 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I just saw a little travel story about Sweden's Ales Stenar

I was going to do a thread but I search and saw that you touched on. I'll leave it at that since I really don't know muct about it, yet.

If you are interested, here is the link to the story:

England's Stonehenge Has Nothing on Sweden's Ales Stenar
www.communityofsweden.com...

S&F for you good work on the thread. I missed it at the time but I am glad I found it.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

hi there im from jersey i live about 5min drive from la hougue bie site theres also loads of other stuff like that over here if you want any photos or info let me know and i can post check the history of jersey and you will be suprised whats happend on a patch of land only 5x9 miles lol

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerseychannelislands

hi there im from jersey i live about 5min drive from la hougue bie site theres also loads of other stuff like that over here if you want any photos or info let me know and i can post check the history of jersey and you will be suprised whats happend on a patch of land only 5x9 miles lol

Photos and what are always a welcome addition to the site / threads. It becomes more real, at least to me, when I can visualize the topic while reading up on it.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   

www.culture24.org.uk...

theres some stuff about ww2 here aswell as other parts of history

en.wikipedia.org...

this shows some really old dolmens and stuff

top topics

join