It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why don't people provide evidence, facts, or logical arguments?!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I've been having some problems with certain posters in the "Madness in US politics" forum (I know, my name is madness based, there will be further madness if that is mentioned) because quite a few people on there seem to not understand the value of facts, evidence, and logic. More credence seems to be given to people simply holding steadfast to their opinions and using 'common sense', even when such opinions and 'common sense' have been readily refuted.

When people provide evidence, it's ignored. When logical or mathematical abstractions are made that refute a point, they're ignored. The same points are just repeated over and over and over again, and these willfully ignorant people who are dragging down this forum keep giving each other stars.

I'll say plenty of things about some of the people I disagree with, but I prefer to have a healthy amount of respect for them instead of wondering how people could be so willfully ignorant as to how points are proved.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I think it's a human thing....

I see the same thing happening with religious folks....

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

It really gets my goat as well.

Between that forum, and one poster who in the last few weeks I have seen what are seemingly "pipe" ideas...it just really has gotten to me.

I too think it is part of the human condition. There are two types of people: People who "know" and people who "learn"

Those who "know" have opinions you can't change and they will never want to change them

People who "learn" are open to new ideas and new ways of life. These are the ones that forward civilization. It seems you are one who "learns"

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
If this helps at all my solution was to stay away from the political madness forum all together.

Politics are a diversion to keep us from the truth.

And it IS madness, after all.

new topics

top topics

join