It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't Forget The Kids

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
The best thing that people with kids could do is work for a world where the S won't HTF.
"Want peace? Work for Justice"

But it is a harsh reality that kids will eventually get you both killed if there is total anarchy, chaos and blood in the streets.

Mobility is the key to survival. Those that hunker down will eventually be worn down or burnt out by the hungry, mad or just plain evil.

Sadly the one's that will survive a SHTF scenario are probably the one's least deserving; as they will be the one's without any honor, compassion or human ness. They will be brutal animals filled with blood lust and hate.

Those that think the SHTF will allow for a hippie, back to the land lifestyle are in for a rude awakening.

Have a nice day!

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Personally, I think there are more good people in this world then
BAD people. We out number them..sorry!

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by 19rn50
reply to post by whaaa

Personally, I think there are more good people in this world then
BAD people. We out number them..sorry!

When things are comfortable; people have the luxury of compassion and kindness. When people get hungry the primal instincts kick in and it gets ugly very fast.....sorry!

A study of Malthusian theory might enlighten you. It's still valid.
www.ucmp.berkeley.edu...

The key to survival is to work for a better world and exhibit brotherhood and compassion before the shtf; if you really care about your kids..... Not after, then it's to late.

edit on 19-10-2010 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

When I was in grade school. I was told some Europeans landed in a new
country call America. They where out number by the Native Americans.
Did they run to the hills and hide NO, and that is why you are here today typing
on your pewter.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by 19rn50
reply to post by whaaa

When I was in grade school. I was told some Europeans landed in a new
country call America. They where out number by the Native Americans.
Did they run to the hills and hide NO, and that is why you are here today typing
on your pewter.

It's hard to refute that kind of logic!

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I have to whole heartedly disagree with your whole premise on multiple factors. Foremost being the fact that children give value to survival regardless of survival value. You can live for 3 weeks without food, 3 days without water, and 3 minutes without air. You won't survive 3 seconds without hope.
You also seriously underestimate the survival value of children. Children learn, and adapt at an exponentially faster rate than an adult. So while you are still trying to orient yourself in this strange new post SHTF world those kids will have beat you around the learning curve. Children in a life or death situation will react viciously, and more rapidly without forethought or remorse. They won't hesitate like an adult. This has been unfortunatley proven accurate many times in war torn 3rd world countries. An adult would hesitate to fire on a child, the child would not hesitate. Mild example: My 9 year old son wanted to shoot a new gun I purchased. A rather large gun. I was hesitant to fire it the first time. It took me 2 or 3 seconds to work up the nerve to tap off the first round. My son picked it up pointed it down range, and with no hesitation let the first dog off the chain. Then grinned like a cheshire cat for 5 minutes. He can wield a 7 shot pump with amazing acumen. He is also extremely protective of his younger siblings.
In a SHTF scenario I wouldn't hesitate to depend on him over most of the adults I know. If he knew it was life or death he wouldn't think twice about filling a bad guy with lead, and then have a nice meal, and sleep like a baby. We go hunting, and fishing together, and he can hear better than I, see better, and is just more naturally "in tune" than I am. His thinking isn't weighted down with old paradigms. He can intuitively find a solution, proof it, and implement a better strategy rapidly. In a survival scenario he would be formidable indeed. With the help, and support of his family I don't worry about his survival at all. I worry much more about his mother.
He's a very sweet child that is affectionate, and loves animals, he just likes certain ones with butter, and cornbread. He got mad when he found out about catch and release fishing. He said "It's wrong to just hurt a fish if you aren't going to eat him." I didn't tell him that he formed the opinion on his own, and I support him, and quit going on "sport" fishing trips, and we only fish together for food now when we go camping. He enjoys fishing immensely, but just won't fish unless we plan to use the fish. Quite a moral compass on a 9 year old. He goes with me to the range and practises with a full size 9mm on silhouette targets, and can put 2 to the chest, and 1 to the head as fast as any adult. He cries when innocent people get hurt in movies or for real. He revels when the bad guy "gets it" though. His morality, and moderation are not a handicap at all. He understands that when it's time to fight, fight dirty, fight hard, and win at all costs.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Binder

I agree completely. Many parents here could tell you about how their pre-teen responded to a crisis, i.e. giving cpr without actually having training (remembered it from a "House" episode) or just mundane things like figuring out how to open a locked door with a piece of wire(!).

Actually, until puberty makes them contentious, kids are better team workers in a small group or band than some adults are, in areas other than strength and endurance.

Most survival skills are NOT shooting at people. Most are things like gathering firewood or picking berries, or watching water heat to a boil, or keeping watch over an avenue of approach to the campsite. Those are jobs for children and old people. Frankly, having an adult focus on those tasks is a waste of resources.

In most developing countries, children are given chores as soon as they can walk. From tending barnyard livestock to picking nuts or hoeing the garden or cleaning the homesite, there are things that "the feeble" can do to help the strong.

No, they don't fit in with the case of Red Dawn, but when it comes to building a community from scratch, you're going to have to take care of the kids.

If not now, then beginning in about 9 months. *wink, wink, nudge nudge*

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
For what it's worth, Geronimo's band of Apaches took children on raiding journeys with them. Their children were trained from birth never to cry audibly (still common among traditional Navajo as well).

I figure they probably knew more about "survival" than most of the posters here.

no offense.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by dr_strangecraft

Good points, and I was just exemplifying his shooting, and hunting abilities as a case in point. He has many other interests, and abilities. He's actually quite interested in cooking, and animal husbandry too. I'm probably biased I'm sure as he is one of my pride, and joys, but the darned kid is sharp, and a bit wise beyond his years. He can be a pain in the arse too, but I would worry about him if he wasn't.
He would be an excellent candidate for protecting the home front while the most able bodied were away on urgent matters. You are right that history has shown time, and again that children are pivotal in any survival plan. Even our current situation where we are letting the public school system, Xbox, and cartoon network raise our children. tsk, tsk.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Binder

And I certainly wasnt critiquing his interest in hunting, not by a long shot.

My eldest is pretty focused as well. I am gearing up for Opening Day this Saturday, and jr is constantly checking and rechecking my kit for me.....

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join