It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RQ-170 stealth UAV - clear photo from Michael Yon

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
no worries

eh, not wanting to appear overly simplistic (just simple enough will do nicely)

but

are we all completely 100% sure those two humps arent fairings for the retracted wheel's and their mechanisms?

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by maintainright

That is a possibility for sure. I only commented on speculation that I had read in an article. Although other UAVs of the same size do not have these humps on them. Why don't they need these humps to house the wheels and mechanisms on them? I do agree it could be as simple as that though.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Isn't a stealth UAV a bit of an oxymoron. I mean there has to be a signal going to and from the remote control to the UAV and back right? You don't think an enemy could just track that signal? I also don't see any panels to redirect the sound or heat signature like both the B2 and F117-A have. So how can we assume this is even stealth at all?

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by dbloch7986

Well to begin there is no such thing as true stealth, at least released to the public, all it really means is a reduced radar cross section. The shape and size of many of these UAVs are considerably smaller than a jet. Combine that with the shape of the UAVs and you have a considerable reduction in the radar cross section. The X-47B for example looks quite a bit like the B2. So some of these UAVs could be using some of the same technology as the B2. For example positively charged wing leading edges and negatively charged exhaust stream. As for the radio frequency being picked up I have no clue if that is possible or not but wouldnt they have to know that they were coming and pick them out specificaly from other signals? Maybe there is some secret technology behind the controling of the UAV that does not allow the signal to be picked up.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbloch7986
Isn't a stealth UAV a bit of an oxymoron. I mean there has to be a signal going to and from the remote control to the UAV and back right? You don't think an enemy could just track that signal? I also don't see any panels to redirect the sound or heat signature like both the B2 and F117-A have. So how can we assume this is even stealth at all?

No, you are assuming that it is just radiating a an analog signal in every direction in a constant manner that just needs a tracker. These are not RC planes broadcasting a tv signal out.

Its mostly all handled by satellite, and can just send information upwards digitally as needed. I doubt Taleban will have devices to track them anyways.

Stealth does not mean invisble, but less detectable. And I would say it does have a reduced RCS, and and it would be so high, that sound would not be a concern.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by I B Dazzlin

reply to post by firepilot

You guys are right. Reduced cross section would classify as stealth.

I didn't know about the positively charged exhaust and negative wing edges. How does that work?

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by dbloch7986

The B2 uses this charging process on the wings leading edges to help minimize aerodynamic turbulence and thereby reduce its radar cross section. When the jet exhaust stream is charged it has the effect of rapidly cooling its exhaust, reducing its thermal signature. The hull is also composed of a highly classified radar absorbing material, probley ceramic dialectrics.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by I B Dazzlin

Well I'll be damned.

I would never have thought that an electrical charge could be used to reduce air turbulence.

I did know about the radar absorbing material. I think you're right about what they used.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join