It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Three 'Deadliest Catch' Captains Quit Show, Report Says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   

www.foxnews.com

After being sued by Discovery for not working on a planned spin-off, Capts. Johnathan and Andy Hillstrand said bye-bye to the network. They were joined by Capt. Sig Hansen.

"We have been through a lot over the past year and unfortunately given the current situation with Discovery we are unable to continue participating in 'Deadliest Catch,'" the fishermen said in a joint written statement. "It has been a fantastic ride, and we wish the best to all of the amazing and supportive 'Catch' fans we have met over the years."

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I really liked this show but have been following their troubles for a while now. The Hilstrands actually were sued first for failing to meet production requirements over a two day shoot. It was a one time spin off special featuring The Time Bandit crew.

Oh well there hopefully will be some good replacement boats to come.

www.foxnews.com

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
The Hilstrand brothers are gone.

Sig is gone.

Phil died.

The only main captain left is Keith and I never liked him, so I guess I won't be watching the show any longer. I really loved that show too.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Becoming
The Hilstrand brothers are gone.

Sig is gone.

Phil died.

The only main captain left is Keith and I never liked him, so I guess I won't be watching the show any longer. I really loved that show too.

I know that we frown upon +1 posts, but seriously, you read my thoughts.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

Did you also laugh your ass off when Scotty gave keith a little shove and he went down like a ton of bricks?

I thought that was the greatest moment out of the whole series, that and little Jake knocking the crap out of big bad Mat on the Northwestern.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
What a pity! I loved that show.

Without Cap'n Phil they are nothing. He was my favorite.

I guess Cap'n Sig can continue to sell his crappy fish sticks, I tried them, they suck.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikelee

www.foxnews.com

After being sued by Discovery for not working on a planned spin-off, Capts. Johnathan and Andy Hillstrand said bye-bye to the network. They were joined by Capt. Sig Hansen.

"We have been through a lot over the past year and unfortunately given the current situation with Discovery we are unable to continue participating in 'Deadliest Catch,'" the fishermen said in a joint written statement. "It has been a fantastic ride, and we wish the best to all of the amazing and supportive 'Catch' fans we have met over the years."

BTS Subject matter perhaps? It's a tv show. Why is this news?

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

Because a television show is trying to sue hard working Americans out of a job.

This is the only thing these brothers know, they were doing it at an age when most boys are joining boy scouts for the first time. People should be outraged that this is happening. Followers of the show know what kind of year they have been having and to sue them over this is despictable.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Sounds like you are on to something big here. Well, we unplugged the mediabox so I never have to watch anything anymore. I never saw the program you mention. I can understand why you wouldn't want to work around a bunch of hollywood types, though. I wish they'd scrap that motorcycle show where a bunch of hacks put together shiny POS's with butchered insides all hidden by gleaming chrome. Those guys are a stain on the world of machining.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I liked the show.
I spent a few years on navy minesweeps that were about the size of the smaller of those crab boats.

And watching the show reminds me why i got out of the navy and moved back to the desert.

When you see white water over the mast you know the weather is not fit for man or boat.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by mikelee

Im with Sig and the boys no matter who is in the right

them dudes are a1 ,r.i.p captain Phil ,star and flag, im finding this very interesting buddy

thank you

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Becoming
reply to post by ColoradoJens

Because a television show is trying to sue hard working Americans out of a job.

This is the only thing these brothers know, they were doing it at an age when most boys are joining boy scouts for the first time. People should be outraged that this is happening. Followers of the show know what kind of year they have been having and to sue them over this is despictable.

Im with you 100 percent!! they made discovery much better! We should all boycott the whole discovery network.
because this is a load of bo lax

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
This show was awful. Who wants to watch people go fishing?

I found it repulsive how they just threw the fish around anyways.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by mnmcandiez

hahaha what fish?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To the OP and everyone else:

Discoverys stock has already started to drop, this announcment had something to do with it im sure.

a lot of people (including myself) wont be watching the show anymore if we cant watch the crews we have followed for years now.

I have a feeling discoverys overall rating will take a bit of a dive, since they just crippled there highest rated show.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Great show.

I bet you any money its some guy in a suit that really doesn't care about anything related to the show that decided to sue. For monetary purposes of course.

I guess I won't watch Discovery anymore.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Alaskan Man

fish, crabs, whatever they caught. I watched it once years ago and thought it was repulsive.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by mnmcandiez

You want them to pick each of them up individually and softly put them in the tanks?

I doubt that the way they handle the crab hurts them seeing as how they can only sell live crab. It would be counter productive for them to injure them.

You want to get you're panties in a wad over how crabs are treated then get upset about how they are prepared. They get stuffed into boiling water alive. I think getting knocked around a little bit is the least of their worries.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Becoming

Yeah and I find them being boiled alive awful as well.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
One of the interesting side notes here to any die-hard fan of the show is the fact that the whole concept and idea for this show originated from the mind of Sig Hansen of the NorthWestern.

So this might give some idea of how bad things must have gotten for the originator to back out also.

new topics

top topics

join