It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question to the Christians

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by XxRagingxPandaxX

admittedly I didn't read all the replies but I just reread the story. Because they all spoke the same languauge they didn't want to spread out across the earth and populate it. Which was Gods plan for them, so because they couldn't understand eachother they left. The Bible also says it was so they "could make a name for themselves" so maybe they were arrogant and wanted to "live up where God does" and he didn't like that.
Just some thoughts
Genesis 11 is the story, I have a NIV Bible

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by XxRagingxPandaxX
The tower of bable. This thread was not meant to be confrontational I'm just asking questions. Now I'm not very familiar with this story so correct me if I get anything wrong. The tower of bable explains why humans speak differen languages. Supposidly humans tried to build a tower to reach heaven. But before they could reach heaven god destroyed it. And face them different languages so they couldn't unite and do it again. Now granted I got the story right. Or the jist anyway, this story can't be true, because if they stepped off the tower they would just fall and die, and above that is space. So how can the bible be right? God destroyed the tower cause they were gonna reach heaven. This is impossible since we've been up there and there is no heaven. Just sky and space. Can someone possibly defend this story?

The problem is the laziness of the English language. Where Greek and Hebrew are extremely specific, the English is very lazy with one word that had many meanings.

The Hebrews have 3 different words for "heaven". One is the air from the ground to the mountiantops, another is used for space, and another used for the "3rd heaven", or God's kingdom. In the Hebrew it speaks of the 1st heaven, or the air we breath. But when you get to English, all three Hebrew words are translated "heaven". It's just the cards we are dealt with having such a lazy/easy language.

I suggest getting a Greek/Hebrew Concordance such as "Strong's". When you study and do Hebrew and Greek word studies the scriptures spring to life.

new topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join