It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secrets of Scientology now on BBC1.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by dbloch7986

How can you possibly follow a "church" in which it's founder is a science fiction writer who came up with the whole so-called religion for, in his own words, money?

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Hi all

I watched the programme last night and found it very interesting. I have had experience of Scientology when I was approached in Birmingham City Centre (UK) on a busy Saturday afternoon back in the mid 90's by a very attractive woman who came up to me and said " Are you happy with your life? would you like me to show you how to be happier?"
Now I'm not stupid and I smelled a rat straight away but it was a nice ego boost to be approached by such a hottie ( and she was) that I went into the Scientology offices and went through the induction etc etc e-meter to reveal my negative thoughts and started to be exposed to the money making machine that it is......

It is a business founded on the back of a science fiction writers creative mind, which some have taken into using as a 'faith' for those ''seeking'' an alternative to a normal religion. I have always said that I do NOT believe in religions as I do not think people should be told what to do or not do by a superior being------ WE all know right and Wrong but we CHOOSE what we do and therefore should be INDIVUDALLY helld accountable for our actions... Not blame religion or use get out of jail cards like hail marys etc etc......

Anyway - back to Birmingham where I decided to have a little fun..... I became immeadiately aware of the 'pressure' to submit and agree with the ''diagnosis'' of my ill mind but being aware a little of physcology I thought i would play devils advocate....

After a few visits I was deemed a trouble maker becasue although I was willing to donate, I was also known for ''Questioning' too much...... I couldn't help myself because that is who I am..... It drove them mad because they work on a level of brainwashing and people feeling vulnerable and that is NOT me..

I was asked not to attend and that was my experience of Scientology.......

It is a business, run to make money from people's insecurities and doubt in the world.......

Regards

PurpleDOG UK

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   
I watched this last night too and it was very informative. What a shameful organisation indeed!! The guys following and recording John Sweeney's every move were for intimidation and to invoke a reaction. I find it so hypocritical that an organisation that villifies psychologists so much uses psychological games routinely in its defence and recruitment processes.

Although i found the parts about the breakaway group very interesting. Those that still believe in the benefits of the belief, but disagree with the church and it's organisation. Sounds similar to another popular religion....

My experience of Scientlologists was having them set up a stall in Glasgow city centre for about a month on a Saturday afternoon. I recognised immediately who they were althugh they had nothing saying 'Scientology' anywhere on their stall. they had books about Dianetics and e-Meters set up.

A girl asked if i'd like to take a test and handed one to me. I asked why they were testing people. She said 'so that you can find out more about yourself'. I said 'I already know about myself'. So she grabbed the test back off me and said 'Well we wouldn't be interested in you then'. Cheek! So, having a drink in me after a few in a local pub, i started going on at her abut Lord Zenu and how her 'church' was a pyramid scam and how can they justify tricking people in the street into thinking they have psychological issues only their church can fix.

She told me she knew nothing about Lord Zenu. I advised maybe once she saved up enough cash to be able to afford OT3 they might let her in on that little secret. It was really fun. I really did know more about her 'religion' than she did.

For the 2 weeks after that some Anonymous supporters showed up with masks on and stood near them shouting 'Down with this sort of thing' and handing out flyers. The next week the Scientologists were gone and haven't been back.

No church here or even groups yet. Lets hope it stays that way.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Omg your kidding right?

Undermine the Church of Scientology?

Have you actually read what you have commented on here. There are numerous, ex scientology members, who would refute your claims.

Scientology is a Controlling Cult not a religion. The amount of money your so called religion charges for each course is disgusting and ridiculous.

Anyone interested in reading up on the mysterious deaths surrounding Scientology, here is a link:

Scientology Deaths

There are other links which can be provided for members who want to hear ex scientologists views on the Goings on within the Cult of Scientology. If anyone wants them I can provide them.

edit on 29-9-2010 by Laurauk because: Fix Spelling

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

CX, Can I give you some advice?

Look up on the internet, do some research on your own. Read the Statements from other Ex Scientologists, who have left the Cult. And whom have been harrassed for years by officials invovled in scientology. The make up your own mind with regards to it.

The Picture a certain member is tryng to potray is not a correct one.

Look on You Tube, Or Xenutv.com for further information.

Just my two cents on this.

Here is a link I can provide for you in you are interested in reading:

XENU.NET

edit on 29-9-2010 by Laurauk because: Adding Link

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
The” Church of scientology “is a cult , I’ve studied it as part of my degree and it ticks every box in the cult classification/definition system ,no doubt about it .However, I’ve got to say that people who wish to follow a belief system that promotes personal betterment and individual personal growth to me seem like admirable individuals ,regardless of whether or not I agree with how this organisation is structured and managed ,they have at least arrived at a point in their lives where they wish to seek some enlightenment ,to me that is a very positive /beneficial thing .I watched the programme last night and I think the ex-church members are heading in a much more positive direction they seemed like decent people .I think that most followers of the church seemed to get detached from the fact that religion/beliefs are a personal thing ,not something that has to be undertaken en mass organisations, yes we have the main Judaeo-Christian beliefs which have many followers ,but they seem so much more open and transparent than the Church of Scientology .I actually like some of the ideas of Scientology and I think it looks interesting and please don’t attack me for saying that ,but the church/organisation puts me off it .

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Can I recommend a thoroughly indepth and though provoking analysis of scientology and Tom Cruise's relationship to it in Channel 4s "Star Stories:Tom Cruise". Sorry im new to this and havnt figured out how to post a link, and for the scientologists reading this there is no offence intended its just a bit of fun, which i think we need plenty of in these dark days.

CX

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Laurauk
reply to post by CX

CX, Can I give you some advice?

Look up on the internet, do some research on your own. Read the Statements from other Ex Scientologists, who have left the Cult. And whom have been harrassed for years by officials invovled in scientology. The make up your own mind with regards to it.

The Picture a certain member is tryng to potray is not a correct one.

Hi Laura, cheers for the advice and i know what you mean, however maybe what i need to respect is that the picture that dbloch7986 is trying to portray, works for him/her.

I have seen enough in life to know that i will never, ever join a religous group of any kind, so don't worry about me getting sucked in.

However i don't mind learning about different groups, religions etc, and i know there are good and bad experiences for everyone who is involved with them.

Take the Christian church, without going into detail, i detest it. Much of that is down to my experiences with family and other members that claim to be devout Christians, when in reality they are the most horrid people you can imagine. The kind that put on their Sunday best and trot off to church, then are attrocious the rest of the week. Even my local vicar agreed with me when i told him this.

Yet i have elderly friends who get a lot from their faith, they do not suffer because of it and they can donate what they want. Ok it's different than the way Scientology works, but they are happy.

So yes i know there are many websites and stories that show the darker sides of Scientology, enough to put me off for life anyway, but if someone is doing ok with it and seems to be responsible enough to handle what comes their way....then all the best to them.

It still won't convert me, but i'll listen to the good as well as the bad.

Cheers for the link though.

CX.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   

I'm a Scientologist.

Christ dude, it takes big bollocks to makes a statement like that on ATS of all places.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Djin

I'm a Scientologist.

Christ dude, it takes big bollocks to makes a statement like that on ATS of all places.

And Probably A BIG hole in his bank account !!!

Regards
PurpleDOG UK

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I haven't had anything bad happen to me. All the Scientologists I know are good people and my mom even works for the church. None of us are in financial disarray because of the church. I've never been extorted or harassed. You're talking about a church.

I am entitled to participate in whatever religion I want. Why wouldn't I be honest about my religious affiliation? I don't think most people care. And as a matter of fact, look at my posting history and you'll see this is the first time I've even mentioned it. I just wanted to bring a little balance to this thread but obviously that's not happening.

I'm surprised that some of you are encouraging me to hide or lie about my religious affiliations. I didn't realize there were people on here that condone persecution.

A lot of people think Catholicism is a crackpot religion. The Catholic church amasses and has amassed untold wealth throughout history and has been directly responsible for the deaths of millions throughout its history. Not to mention the rampant child molestation and rape. Yet it has a billion followers that give it all kinds of money and unfathomable power and influence worldwide.

Comparatively, Scientology is a relatively new small religion and they don't nor are they able to exert undue influence over governments or people. I am not brainwashed, nor do I work for the church, although that's probably a pointless argument for some of you.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Also I've covered the inane idea of secrecy which most of you have happily chosen to ignore.

Everything about the church is freely available in written text at any church in the materials library. Go read it if you really are interested. Or you can take a disaffected member's word for it. That's like if you were divorced on bad terms and I asked your ex-spouse his or her opinion of you.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
As a final thought, I have every right to practice whatever religion I want as well as none at all. If you don't like my religion then don't participate in it. But leave me to participate in it as I see fit. I won't lie about my religious affiliation just because a few of you think you're Billy Bad Ass and can stand on top of everyone and say you're better than me because your way is the right way and mine is wrong.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   

And what about disconnection?

Families who have been torn apart, since they cannot contact thier mothers, fathers, daugters, son or grandchildren.

Can you explain this to me?

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   

There is a difference, I agree you are allowed to participate in what ever religion you want. But when that religion invovles murder, rape, forced abortions, diconnection, tearing up families, harrassing ex scientologists, with blackmail and innuendos. Leaving People bankrupted.

Then do you see why people are skeptical of Scientology? I f you can answer the questions then I would be grateful.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Thanks for your open thoughts on this thread. I admit I have poked fun at your religion in the past, but for a Freemason to poke at another religion is a bit hypocritical, so after some thought, I apologize. I have no rite to judge your religious thoughts any more than anyone else should judge mine.

Having said that, if you wouldn't mine sharing the main focus of your beliefs (as long as they aren't secret). Is the whole Xenu thing real? Aliens being blown up in a volcano and their tormented souls infesting our bodies? Or is that just blown out of proportion?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts, and if you don't want to answer, that's fine and I won't both about it again.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

with all due respect, do you have any proof of these accusations? I have heard and seen some nutty things regarding Scientology, but nothing sinister like murder or rape. Tom Cruise acting like he is possessed by King Stupid yes, but none of that other stuff to my knowledge. I am starting to see similarities between how other groups are demonized.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   

No it is not And you well know that.

Ask Children whom have beenripped from thier mothers and fathers over the doctorines of Scientology. Then you will see truth. How can you compare that with divorce/

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

Have you actually searched on the internet for this?

I have, and there is testimonies of rape, although the Cult of Scientology denies such incidents.

Would you rather they bring up your mirckey past Than go ahead with such a case?

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

if it's real, then it's something to be concerned about, but people will make up stuff to discredit what they don't like/understand. ask me how I know.

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join