It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: D.C. schools don't measure up to his daughters' private school

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Hey, at least Obama is letting some truth come out now and then. I always knew sooner or later that he would let it slip that he believes the government cannot run anything right.

I am really enjoying the fact there are a few real reporters out there yet.

Article-Obama: D.C. schools don't measure up to his daughters' private school

Snippet-

Some of Obama's critics say it is hypocritical of him to spend that kind of money on private school while allowing a federal voucher program in the District to lapse . The D.C. voucher experiment provides funding for some low-income D.C. families to enroll their children in private school. The Democratic-led Congress and the Obama administration have rejected requests from voucher supporters to reauthorize the program.

Regarding vouchers, Obama administration officials have said the best federal policy is to support improvements for all schools.

So, after reading the article, Obama admits there are problems with public schools. Also a voucher system is allowed to lapse. Hmmm, oh well, how does that saying go?

Let them eat cake? No, sorry wrong one.

Let them go to the crappy public schools ruined by the federal government. There it is, right one.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
S&F my friend......I wonder if he forgot to mention the teachers unions......you know the ones he makes sure the government gives money to are largely at fault?

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Hey, found another fun one to look at. Here is a link to the comments on his video on schools at the Today Show.

Top 3 are pretty good.

Have fun reading the comments. I did.

today.newsvine.com...

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
S&F my friend......I wonder if he forgot to mention the teachers unions......you know the ones he makes sure the government gives money to are largely at fault?

Seriously...expand your media beyond fox.....

Why is Obama taking on teachers' unions right before Election 2010?
The teachers' union vote is reliably Democratic. Yet before Election 2010, widely seen as a difficult one for Democrats, teachers feel that Obama is antagonizing them with his reform agenda

www.csmonitor.com...

Obama Pushes Against Teachers Unions
June 29th

President Obama has come out vocally in favor of policies that are usually opposed by the Teachers’ Unions, most notably the issue of merit pay:

www.frumforum.com/obama-pushes-against-teachers-unions

Just today

In an interview Monday with NBC's "Today" show, Obama said the message to unions needs to be that they can't defend a status quo in which a third of students are dropping out.

www.realclearpolitics.com...

edit on 27-9-2010 by maybereal11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by maybereal11

Words are one thing, actions are another........
He may speak out against them, but he sure doles out the cash to them to help keep somewhat of a voter base..........
He talks out of both sides of his face.............after all, it's just politics.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   

You say to expand your media besides FOX, yet in the same thread you quote as an example saying this..

In "an interview Monday with NBC's..."

I dont know whether to laugh or cry.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Common Good

You say to expand your media besides FOX, yet in the same thread you quote as an example saying this..

In "an interview Monday with NBC's..."

I dont know whether to laugh or cry.

Feel free to do either. I provided three sources...NBC, The Christian Science Monitor and an independant website.

Here is Politico
www.politico.com...

Fox news and the GOP have been hammering the word "Liberal Media" into their followers heads for a few years now. In propagandist terms this is called "removing the referee". It encourages folks to trust no one but them and dismiss all other sources of information. It is the ABCs of propaganda. Are you incapable of researching on your own? Or is it that the only sources you will trust must tell you what Fox told you to be legitimate? None of us should allow ourselves to be used or manipulated....Conservative or Liberal.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I am not much of an Obama fan, but he does speak the truth sometimes.

There is a serious problem with public schools. It is common knowledge that private schools are far superior to public schools. The question is: why?

In my opinion it is a lack of expectation for performance in the public school system. A private school has a private source of income and a waiting list for students. If you don't perform well and put up some personal effort and have some support from your family, then you won't last long in that school. On the flipside a public school gets money from the government based on the number of seats filled and the results of standardized testing. They could care less how much effort you put forth or how good your education is. Their primary concern is filling the seats and preparing for the narrow information set on the standardized test.

My brother is a teacher and this frustrates the hell out of him. Rather than flunk students, they are instructed to lower the expectations. Rather than teach geometry and trig, they skip it to focus on the test subjects. Who cares if those students are going to struggle on the ACT or SAT or perform badly in college, the objective is to do well on one specific test, advance through the grades, and graduate to keep that Federal money rolling in.

Private schools are vastly superior, because their focus is on the student, and the student's effort and performance, and rounded knowledge that will benefit them in college and/or life.

Fix that Obama, and you will be my hero! The "no child left behind" act had good intentions, but it was immediately bastardized by the public school system and raped for whatever money could be stripped from it. We need a better....bottom up approach to fixing the public school system. We need an act that cannot be exploited, and we need a system of testing that cannot be manipulated.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I have to agree with your observation.

I call it the lowest common denominator or the weakest link.

When I went to school, they attempted a program where students that excelled were moved up in the classes. I actually got bumped up three grades. It was still easy but after about a month they canned the program and back I went to staring out the window finishing my homework while not listening to the teach. Handing in the homework as I left.

Kids are held back to the weakest link in the class for the good of the collective. Cannot have anyone excel, might make the others sad.

That is why we have to just #can the entire structure created. Average per capita about $10,000.

Just imagine if you had a private school receiving just that amount. Say 20 students. That is 200k, plenty to pay a highly qualified teacher and an extra 100k for supplies. BUT NO, we have to spend it on all the peripheries.

Anyway, our federally controlled schools are EXACTLY what they want. They do not want individuals that excel, they want the world of Idiocracy of a bunch of consumers.

Oh well. At least the elites are allowed to excel, they are great at herding the sheep.

edit on 28-9-2010 by saltheart foamfollower because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by saltheart foamfollower

I agree with your "lowest common denominator." They used to teach to the middle of the curve that way they only left out the extreme intelligent or extremely unintelligent. That approach was bad enough, but at least it seemed to benefit the majority. Now with funding tied to advancement, they have slid their target to the bottom. Now they teach to the lowest common denominator, because that will ensure the most funding. They don't challenge 80% of the people above that level, because there is no short-term benefit for doing so. They seek out the instant gratification of passing the most students and getting the most money. Over time it has damaged the entire system!

We need to set a standard of education and stick to that standard regardless of funding. Then we need to hold teachers, administrators, and districts accountable to their students. Parents, graduation rates, college acceptance, and an average of the many existing tests need to all be considered. In Florida we have the FCAT, but I think the SAT and ACT should be just as important. Equally important is college applications, and college acceptances. Equally important is the parent satisfaction and the student satisfaction.

We are extremely poor in educating our youth on World History, Geography, Math, Physics, Chemistry, World Literature, and Civics. If we fix that, and we flunk the ones that deserve to be flunked, and we demand effort, then the US can lead the world again.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Wrong Thread!

Whoops!

edit on 28-9-2010 by getreadyalready because: delete wrong thread post

top topics

join