It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The UN is to appoint an astrophysicist to be the first contact for any aliens

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Quote:"WHEN aliens arrive on Earth, they will no longer have to worry about who will greet them.
The United Nations, tackling head-on the problem of what to do if an alien says “take me to your leader”, is poised to designate a specific individual for the task.

Some would argue that the job should fall to the US president, the leaders of Russia or the European Union. Others might suggest the Pope. One thing is certain: humanity's lack of a leader would not make a good impression.

Instead the UN is set to select an obscure Malaysian astrophysicist who is head of its little-known Office for Outer Space Affairs (Unoosa).

Mazlan Othman will describe her potential new role next week at a scientific conference at the Royal Society's Kavli conference centre in Buckinghamshire.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
.End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
She will tell delegates that the recent discovery of hundreds of planets around other stars has made the detection of extraterrestrial life more likely than ever before - and that means the UN must be ready to co-ordinate humanity's response to any “first contact”.

Visit link : SUNDAY TIMES

New York Post

I'd like to see the UK Sunday Times article from todays paper if anyone has a link.

This has just been mentioned on Sky News without the giggle factor which is quite rare.

edit on 26-9-2010 by Did you see them because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-9-2010 by Did you see them because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   
I'd put a shotgun blast to any alien asking me to be taken to our leaders. They have clearly proven their stupidity by that point; either it indicates a lack of observational skills or a certain impulsivity about making contact.

Well, maybe, I mean, if it was to help us get rid of them, then, well, you get the point. Maybe I should give them 10 seconds or so to answer "for what purpose?"

If they don't like my diplomacy they can try to vaporize me with their laser pistols.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 03:30 AM
link   
well .... its best to be prepared.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Why would they need to be greeted by a specific person? If I see them, I will be the one to contact them.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Hi, You will find that this topic is already being discussed here:

UN to appoint Earth contact for aliens

Peace

top topics

join