It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon Destroys Copies of Officer's Controversial Memoir

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Dept. of Defense destroys nearly 10,000 copies of the controversial memoir 'Operation Dark Heart' by Lt. Col. Tony Shaffer, pictured at left, because officials say the book contained information that could damage national security
source

Been waiting to hear about the outcome of this. Would have been a good read for sure

edit on 9/26/2010 by mikelee because: Link source & pic

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   

The agency also attempted to block key portions of the book that claim "Able Danger" successfully identified hijacker Mohammed Atta as a threat to the United States before the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks

The DOD is currently working with the publisher to ‘mitigate the resulting effects of the disclosures,’ the official said.

source

Mitigate the effects? Thats a broad statement there but one whose action could be directed towards anything. .

edit on 9/26/2010 by mikelee because: Add text & link

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   
There seems to be a torrent out there. I don't know anything about it and whether it's B.S. or not.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Surely a Lt. Colonel would know what you can or cant put in a book,whats secret and whats ok to discuss,I hope they re-imburse him thats a lot of money down the s-bend.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by anglodemonicmatrix

Regardless, what he put in it "they" do not want it there. Thats the story here fellas.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikelee
reply to post by anglodemonicmatrix

Regardless, what he put in it "they" do not want it there. Thats the story here fellas.

Sure it's not just another case of "There is no bad publicity"?

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

After reading the story and some other related media. No I do not. Although I do understand where some may think (or want to) otherwise. I do not believe thats the case here.

edit on 9/26/2010 by mikelee because: Spelling

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by anglodemonicmatrix
Surely a Lt. Colonel would know what you can or cant put in a book...

And you would think a four star would know what he could say to a Rolling Stone reporter.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by mikelee

I cannot understand, in this day in age, why destroying a hard copy anything would make one feel like they accomplished something. I less than 5 minutes, I found it here for Kindle with 71 reviews already:

www.amazon.com... /dp/0312612176

I found it here on the dude's website:

www.operationdarkheart.com...

...and I am sure it is elsewhere in other media formats. But you have to be careful. There is the original version and the "corrected" version. Really nice in the land of the free. I can make a pretty good guess what happened with this.

The book was originally cleared through the US Army for publication. This means it had to be scrubbed/vetted to ensure it did not contain sensitive material. It was blessed of on and the book was off to the printers. Somewhere during the printing process the DoD decided there was indeed something sensitive but the horse was out of the barn. But not quite far enough. Ergo, now we have both versions floating around out there.

You have to understand the definition of "sensitive". Some folks confuse embarrassing information or counter-message information with craft secrets or operationally critical information. Unless we can get the un-corrected version to compare to the corrected version, we will never know.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
He didn't want to talk about seeing UFOs and how much he thinks
that alien technology is instrumental in their making.
There is not much else that is allowed for the services to talk about.
Pentagon review must be difficult.

new topics

top topics

join