It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What am I missing in life?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

most people would go along out of fear or otherwise begrudgingly, not because they thought that it was a good idea.

But don't many Christians already do this? Aren't some Christians only Christian because their parents taught them to be Christians or because they're afraid of Hell?

Also it seems to me that the easiest way for God to be loved is for him to be around and be doing good things for us that are obviously good things and not just random coincidences (like those typically reported as believers as proof)... After all if God truly is our Father I don't think neglecting us and being an absent Father is the way to stimulate love, or forcing us to love him via faith while hiding himself away.

the more I lean towards a point of view that does not entail eternal punishment for mere disbelief.

That's good. But eventually you'll have to admit that the idea of eternal punishment itself is horrific regardless of what crimes have been committed. While I would like to see justice done and don't so much mind the idea of a just God punishing the wicked I also cannot see any hint of justice in much of what the Bible claims is divine justice. How is infinite punishment for finite sin at all a just punishment? After all once you're in Hell it isn't as if you can learn your lesson, which of course defeats the purpose of punishment anyway, there's no chance for reconciliation with the creator and so you are relegated to eternal torment and anguish. The whole idea of Hell is an evil and horrible one and given how scatter-shot the Bible is when it comes to what Hell actually is I think there's little reason for any modern day Christian to hold onto a literal interpretation of that place.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull
reply to post by adjensen

most people would go along out of fear or otherwise begrudgingly, not because they thought that it was a good idea.

But don't many Christians already do this? Aren't some Christians only Christian because their parents taught them to be Christians or because they're afraid of Hell?

There are definitely those who feel that way, yes. Not as many as one might think, but I draw a pretty big line between Christians and "check box Christians." If you claim to be Christian, but don't go to church, or do, and take nothing away from it and apply it to your life, I consider you to be the latter.

Also it seems to me that the easiest way for God to be loved is for him to be around and be doing good things for us that are obviously good things and not just random coincidences (like those typically reported as believers as proof)... After all if God truly is our Father I don't think neglecting us and being an absent Father is the way to stimulate love, or forcing us to love him via faith while hiding himself away.

This supposes a perspective of life, God, and time that I'm not sure we understand enough to draw such a meaningful conclusion from. However, I again suggest that for God to be as evident as some seem to require would result in a relationship based on fear in far too many instances.

Ultimately, it is up to us to accept or reject God, based on what he offers in the way of proof, and what our needs work out to be. If having a relationship with God was an onerous burden, I'd probably join you in the "okay, a little more on your side, please," but, for me at least, it's a pretty easy load.

the more I lean towards a point of view that does not entail eternal punishment for mere disbelief.
That's good. But eventually you'll have to admit that the idea of eternal punishment itself is horrific regardless of what crimes have been committed. While I would like to see justice done and don't so much mind the idea of a just God punishing the wicked I also cannot see any hint of justice in much of what the Bible claims is divine justice. How is infinite punishment for finite sin at all a just punishment? After all once you're in Hell it isn't as if you can learn your lesson, which of course defeats the purpose of punishment anyway, there's no chance for reconciliation with the creator and so you are relegated to eternal torment and anguish. The whole idea of Hell is an evil and horrible one and given how scatter-shot the Bible is when it comes to what Hell actually is I think there's little reason for any modern day Christian to hold onto a literal interpretation of that place.

This is another area that I'm of the mind that we lack sufficient information for drawing meaningful conclusions, but the Christian view, again, is that none of us deserve salvation, we are granted it through God's grace. In the traditional view of Hell, it is the only place in the afterlife that you can be apart from God, being the place that God created to banish the fallen angels to. By rejecting God in this life, you reject him in the next, so there is no place for you but there. However, there are those who view Hell as being a simple exclusion from God's presence, so the "torture" is merely understanding what you've missed out on, and others who figure it's simple oblivion.

I don't know, and while I can see your point about an infinite punishment, I'm also not sure what the conditions would be that would "parole" a person. I've been told that Jews believe that everyone spends a year in punishment, to atone for their sins, and the concept of purgatory is that everyone, save the very good or very evil, spends a period of time "working things out" and after a bit either opts for life with God or life without him.

Theologically, Christianity teaches that there is no salvation without Christ, so that would still need to be a part of it, but, again, I can see the sensibility of giving everyone a "second chance" to repent, accept God's offer, and enter into his kingdom, once it is evident what it is.

I just hope that I get a special hat or something to show that I chose early

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
what you are missing in life is that , you do not live.

<< 1   >>

join