It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ground zero mosque protests Sept 11 2010 - My belief

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Yesterday (September 11th 2010) saw New Yorkers, and millions around the globe, pause to remember the tragic events of September 11th 2001.

New York also witnessed two opposing protest regarding the plans to build a mosque within a community centre just two city blocks from ground zero.

These protests have, obviously, become politicised; seeing the like of Dutch politician Geert Wilders becoming involved and adding to the debate.

However, I do not want another thread discussing whether or not the mosque should be allowed!! Nor do I want to express my personal beliefs regarding the mosque (I have expressed my beliefs in other threads)

I just want to ask this one simple question...

Regardless of if you believe that the mosque should or shouldn’t be built...

Regardless of if you believe 911 was an inside job or that of fanatical terrorists...

Regardless of your personal beliefs, regarding the war in Iraq and the Afghan invasion...

The fact is that 9 years ago 2,977 innocent people died in horrifying circumstances.

Should there not be just ONE day a year put aside for people to remember, grieve and morn?

To politicise such a day and use it to further a cause, whatever that cause may be, is crass and distasteful in my opinion... Show some respect and dignity... I ask again, can we not have just one day of quite reflection and peaceful morning?

Peace!

www.bbc.co.uk...

edit on 12-9-2010 by Muckster because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   
I don't believe that tragedies should be remembered, and I've always preferred to visit a relative's grave on their birthday, not the day they died. Remember how they lived, not how they died. September 11th should be just another day. I stopped watching TV yesterday because it was being thrown in my face all day. I am disgusted at History Channel for having a 9/11 marathon the entire day.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by MrAndy

Yeah i agree... to be honest that’s how i prefer to remember people. But i am referring more about a nation morning (or for that matter, the world) I just think that this one day should not be used as an excuse to prop up some political belief or ideology. My own belief is that it would show far more respect to the dead to spend this day in quite reflection.

like i said before... to spend this day pointing the finger and arguing, over what you believe in, just seems crass.

Oh... i also agree with you about the marathon of 911 documentary’s we always get on this day... i think it’s a sad reflection on the lack of dignity and decorum, of the viewers, and shows just how voyeuristic and self-indulgent some of the human race have become.

Peace

join