It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Year is 1999.......

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Mankind pushes towards new frontiers!
Levitating cars rule the roads!
Can't afford a car? Why walk to work? Get a Jetpack and arrive in style!

----

Morning ATS, i recently watched a couple of films portraying what people living in the 70's and 80's thought life would be like in the year 1999.
I'm wondering if some of the "older" members would like to come forward and post there own thoughts as what they thought like would be like in the year 1999 and beyond.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
This clip was made before my time, but it totally fails to anticipate radical feminism and thinks that women will still be mainly concerned about looking pretty and baking pies in the future..
I really love the futuristic Bauhaus architecture in the second clip, it's a shame that the Bauhaus designers never really took people into consideration when they made their designs as they look stunning, just terrible to live in

Am I the only one that thinks the girl in the first video is incredibly hot?

Personally growing up in the early eighties in Britain there wasn't much optimism about the future and the majority view I think was that it was going to be some kind of post nuclear apocalyptic nightmare,

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Thanks to this prophetic video from the purple one himself...

I thought that my life in 1999 would be a drunken, hedonistic, nuclear wasteland.

In hindsight, I made it 2/3rds of the way there!

edit on 9/11/10 by Hefficide because: Because even though English is not my second language, I often type as if it were.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
To be honest, I figured that shortly after 2000, we'd be in a Mad Max movie....but guess we're still just speeding down the road to armageddon... hehe...

I'm still kind of miffed we don't have those hoverboards from Back to the Future.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
I always love the phrase "The Year is 199(X) in opening monologues. Especially in timeline format spoken over a retro computerized vision of the future. Escape from New York is a perfect example of this.

I'm probably too young to have bought into the "2000 vision of the future" thing that was popular in the 1950's and 60's. I think I probably thought 2000 would be somewhere around what 2010 turned out to be. Sort of like, "We'll have (essentially iPads) but they'll read really small holographic CDs." Also, hoverboards.

So naive...

new topics

top topics

join