It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would a Supreme Being Qualify as Such if He/She/It Didn't Create the Universe?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Definitely yes, I must say.

Is all politics really local? In the apparently ever-hypothetical Salvation of Humanity via First Contact with the Truly Divine, it's conceivable the best we Earthlings can do is (formally) hook up with some type of Creator in Chief for THIS planet only. He or She or It will have been, somehow provenly, responsible for the creation of (Earth) humans, or modification from the earlier (Neanderthal) hominid. Said Creator, obviously, wouldn't have to have responsibility for creating ALL life on this rock. We have to allow for enough common sense evolution...

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Dean Goldberry

Such a being would not be "supreme", because it would be possible to imagine one more supreme- ie one who did create the universe.
All you're getting is a subordinate.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Before the universe was created, there was nothing. So a supreme being cannot be a supreme being in my opinion, if he didn't create the universe. His power is awesome!

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Yes. All they have to do is be superior to us and that automatically makes them a supreme being, regardless if they created a universe, or just created a simple little star system.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by prophecywatcher
Before the universe was created, there was nothing. So a supreme being cannot be a supreme being in my opinion, if he didn't create the universe. His power is awesome!

Um, if there was nothing, then there was no "god" either. Just remember that.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
My journey on this rock has lead me to believe that there is no end to anything therefore there cannot be a beginning.
If there was a big bang, what caused the bang?

Energy is not created nor destroyed.

There is infinite small and infinite big.
There is always something smaller or bigger than the next.

So is there a supreme of supreme being? Who created the creator? There is no end.

Not to say we were not created by a "supreme" being. It's just does not make sense for a creator to just appear and create everything you see now without having a creator or creation event of their own once upon a time.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
What I would like to know is how does one go about proving that it created the universe?

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Dean Goldberry

This belief is known as Gnosticism.

Gnostics believe the Supreme Being did not create the universe--did not, in fact, create anything, for to do so would be to mar His own perfection. The universe was created by a demiurge--a distant 'emanation' from the Godhead, with creative powers but not much in the way of brains or morals.

join