It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thinking & driving

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   
I've noticed something through the years that I'm curious if anyone else has experienced or has thoughts about the reasoning for it. While driving, especially alone, I seem to think better than when I'm at home alone. This almost always occurs while listening to music but not always so I'm unsure if it's a factor or not. By better, I mean more open minded and free flowing thinking. I tend to think of more ideas during this time than during other times. I actually thought about writing this while driving earlier.

I don't know if this is part of the reason but the roads I usually travel are mostly 2 lane country roads without a lot of traffic. I also experience it on major 4 lane interstate highways which also don't have a lot of traffic. My mind doesn't wander while driving as in not paying attention to the task at hand but it seems to be some catalyst for better thinking.

One thought involves the possibility of the different parts of the brain being active while driving that acts as some sort of trigger for this more active thinking. Maybe it's the driving conditions, maybe it's the music, maybe it's something else. I'm curious if I'm alone on this as well as any thoughts on the reasoning.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 05:32 AM
link   
I dont think its parts of your brain being more "active"

In fact I think it's just other parts relaxing.

When we drive, we THINK we are paying attention and being active, but in fact a certain part of our nervous system takes over, because its such a repetitive task, and we go into a deeper, more relaxed brain state.

Being focused, but unfocused, like a sort of meditation.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Three_moons

i went through a phase for a few years where this seemed to be the case with me. i would think of one liners, or i would think about something i wanted to look into and research or study while driving to or from work. for awhile when i was having these thoughts while driving i would keep a notepad and pen handy, pull off to the side of the road, or in a parking lot somewhere, jot down my thought, and then start driving again. i never did get a voice recorder, but it was one of the ideas i wrote down

no, you are not alone with this habit of thinking while driving. maybe it has to do with stimulating the mind, and associations our brain cells have when driving and thinking.

buckle up, it's the law,
et

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

That's an interestingly different way of looking at it. I'll have to get my brain waves recorded driving to check it out.

reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking like that. Those voice recorders are great, too bad you never got one.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I totally agree with the OP. I live(d) out in the country most of my youth and young adult life. I can especially remember how 'lofty' my thoughts drifted as i managed to swing my little Toyota celica through the well maintained various Carolina Foothills roadways.

Although i was paying attention to driving, my angle of attack, speed, and the gear i was in at the time, and calculating just how hard i could pull the turn before i broke traction. I was still able to think about myself and various aspects of the self as i was driving and had a tendency to think of thoughts of a similar nature.

It sometimes seemed to me that the more i was 'in the zone' whilst driving the clearer i could think.

my thoughts plead at me to make some connection between the complexity of operating a car correctly (especially if its a 5 speed and you're young and like hitting the sweeping corners hard) and a trance state i know ive had while driving long periods. It's as if our brains are able to 'annex' the functions needed to operate the car, while another aspect of ourselves is able to ponder whatever it wants. An autopilot some may say.

there are other activities i have found that do it for me. Free sketching or art of some type. While reading a book i really am not interested in at the time. 'Trying' to listen to someone that i have absolutely no interest in their speech. And taking a ***T, or reading while performing said activity.

top topics

join