It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is this? Strange Mushroom or Egg?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
My girlfriend and I were walking with our cat and dog through the woods and we stumbled across this weird something. It could be some kind of mushroom, it has however some strange features.
It looks like a mushroom that is inside out and it looks as if it literally exploded, the slimy transparent substance sprayed as far as 6 or 7 inches.
The opening has a diameter of 3 quarters of an inch, the mushroom or egg 1 or 1 and a half inch.
About a foot or so away I dug up some presumed mushrooms. I didn't want to disturb the site any further in case this is something rare and possibly protected.

I searched for clues and looked for mushrooms, but I couldn't find anything that resembled this. I also thought it could be eggs from some kind of reptilian.
What is this???

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
The last picture would leave me to believe it is a broken egg, though the first two do look like a fruiting body of fungi. It's hard to tell as there aren't many different angles. I would say that in the first two photos, the white stuff could be mycelium but it doesn't look thick enough to have a fruiting body, such as a mushroom. However, there are so many different species of fungi and mushroom, it could certainly be either. Do you have any more pictures from different angles?

All in all, based upon the first two photos, I would go with mushroom or truffle.

--airspoon

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

Image 1 +2 are of the 11oClock position of image 3 by the looks of it. Are those normal mushrooms in the centre?

If so may be a mushroom with head eaten and started to rot?

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
You should have touched it! The first 2 pics look like whatever it was, it sorta exploded. Thats the only thing I can think of to account for that slimy liquidy looking stuff around it... Though like Airspoon mentioned, 3rd pic makes one consider its an egg.

Should have touched it!

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Seems to be the collared earthstar mushroom, it was probably slimy looking due to a recent rainfall or just an accumulation of dew when it popped. The white substance would be it spores.

Geastrum triplex

Collared earthstar

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Since eggs have shells I am going with mushroom - interesting one!

new topics

top topics

join