It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pac-Man hacked onto touch-screen voting machine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Pac-Man Hacked Onto a Touch-Screen Voting Machine Without Breaking 'Tamper-Evident' Seals

This is your Sequoia touch-screen voting machine....

:pic in linked article:

This is your Sequoia touch-screen voting machine with Pac-Man hacked onto it without disturbing any of the "tamper-evident" seals supposedly meant to protect it from hackers...

:pic in linked article:

Any questions?...

We've heard about voting machine companies not wanting their software and devices tested by outside entities. Now we know why - they're not secure.

The Pac-Man hack onto the Sequoia/Dominion voting machine was revealed this week. It was accomplished without breaking any of the "tamper-evident" seals that voting machine companies and election officials claim are used to ensure nobody can physically hack into them without being discovered.

"We received the machine with the original tamper-evident seals intact," the hackers from Princeton and University of Michigan report. "The software can be replaced without breaking any of these seals, simply by removing screws and opening the case."

In an election with a large turnout and a large margin of victory, it would be difficult for hacking to make a difference. But in a close one - like 2000 or 2004 - it would be easy to swing a couple of closely-contested states with large electoral vote totals with just a few lines of code.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Pac man is a more realistic video game than voting so it's pretty cool.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
So much for "completely safe, and unhackable" electronic voting systems.

There is NO SUCH THING as a "UNHACKABLE" electronic system.

But at the latest voting, I think I would of had a better voice if I got the high score on Pac-Man, rather than voting.

But I will never stop voting for what or who I think is right.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
If you compare the regulation of electronic gambling to electronic voting you'll find an appropriate illustration for just how much this country appreciates profits over proper governance.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
more bull .doesnt any one even read this stuff?
come on people it says All you have to do is take out a few screws.
Now ovesly the kids relised that they could access part of the inerreds this way and just replaced a chip with the chip that had pack man on it.
This is a FAR cary from hacking as Hacking implys you brake into the SOFTWARE not hard ware.
ok so the ONLY question you need to ask is How can you make it possible to repair this machine wile making it hard to use that to replace HARDWARE .
so what they would need to add is a locking mechanism like pay phones have maybe?
Not that this will stop someone who really wants to do this.

[edit on 30-8-2010 by xxcalbier]

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
We are going to see big problems come November and our election system, with all of its massive flaws, will be revealed for the whole world to see.

All of the most contested elections will end up being settled in court. Not good!!

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
The question is:
Does it really matter?

We all know that they put who they want in office anyways.
These people are hand picked and have been for decades.
Regardless of who "the people" think they voted into office.

The voting machines are easily hacked into?
Big deal.
When they went digital it just made it easier access.

These people already got what they wanted and are just looking for another pawn.

I don't care what anyone says...your vote does NOT count.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Voting electronically should require FINGERPRINT AND SS# TO KEEP THE TECHNOLOGICAL GAME FAIR.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Votes counting on electronic machines

The real question is what are we going to do about it

HOUSTON – A three-alarm fire swept through a northeast Houston warehouse early Friday wiping out more than 10,000 pieces of voting equipment. City officials said they are unsure what will be done when voting begins in the next few months.

The Harris County Election Technology Center, located on Canino at Downey, caught fire around 4:20 a.m., and the blaze quickly grew to three alarms.

The warehouse stored more than 10,000 pieces of equipment, including voting booths and eSlates, the computer-based machines used for collecting votes.

The fire comes just months before the general elections on November 2, which include the governor’s race. Early voting is scheduled to begin in October.

www.bradblog.com...

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by xxcalbier
more bull .doesnt any one even read this stuff?
come on people it says All you have to do is take out a few screws.
Now ovesly the kids relised that they could access part of the inerreds this way and just replaced a chip with the chip that had pack man on it.
This is a FAR cary from hacking as Hacking implys you brake into the SOFTWARE not hard ware.
ok so the ONLY question you need to ask is How can you make it possible to repair this machine wile making it hard to use that to replace HARDWARE .
so what they would need to add is a locking mechanism like pay phones have maybe?
Not that this will stop someone who really wants to do this.

[edit on 30-8-2010 by xxcalbier]

disinfo agent.

It doesn't matter HOW........all that matters is that is CAN happen and most likely DID happen.

How many products are widely excepted without anyone else getting to review or test them.

Gadget/electronic magazines and websites would fail this for not wanting anybody to see if it's actually secure......because it would have been found out.

Fact. As soon as electronic software is created, there instantly becomes a way to hack it.

As soon as electronic software is created, also a viable way to hack is instantly created.

With a hack into it, it would be impossible for the Electronic software to even exist at all..

Because this universe deals with duality. And positive and negative forces...
there HAS to be a hack for everything.

They don't tell you that though..and people are dumb and stupid and gullible.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Just another way to "stuff" the ballot box.

Did anyone actually think that when they made it electronic, it would be harder to corrupt?

Any time they make things easier for "the people", they just make it easier for themselves. Easier to be taken advantage of.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Id rather play pac man then vote. I mean seriously its not like your vote counts. Hence the electronic machine, its merely the illusion of choice. I always feel sorry for people who think their vote matters or that they matter.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost of Chewie
So much for "completely safe, and unhackable" electronic voting systems.

There is NO SUCH THING as a "UNHACKABLE" electronic system.

But at the latest voting, I think I would of had a better voice if I got the high score on Pac-Man, rather than voting.

But I will never stop voting for what or who I think is right.

Right on!
The gobermt wants us to believe that we voted in the person when in reality, they have selected the "weanners" long ago.
The only way to confirm a vote is with a paper trail.

top topics

join