It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Cornish Mystery Of The Men-an-Tol Stones

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   

The Cornish Mystery Of The Men-an-Tol Stones

beforeitsnews.com

The stones are believed to be from the Bronze age and, if this is correct, would mean they are over 3500 years old. As to what they actually are or signify is debatable. They may once been part of a circle of stones - which would have given it a ritual significance - or alternatively they could have been part of a burial chamber - the hole being for access.

These ancient stones have much folklore attached to them and are said to have a fairy or piskie guardian who can carry out various cures.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
The photos on the source page are interesting. I am not to sure what to think of the stones. If they do date to the bronze age I do wonder how they were created. Chiseling out large stones with bronze tools would be difficult, so who ever made the stones invested a lot of time in them. The stones were something important to there makers. It is unfortunate there is nothing else to use for clues aside from the stones them selves.

beforeitsnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
That must have been the first LOL.

Bronze is very hard, so using bronze tools to make those stones look like wouldn't be has hard as it may look at first, but it surely took a lot of time.

It's a shame that we know so little about ourselves.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

I dunno ArMap - I know that I like long walks on the beach, Yahnni music, spam w/ hershey's chocolate sauce, and the beautiful and poetic skating of Tonya Harding. I feel like I know myself fairly well!

Larry Flynt has nothing on those guys...

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

Bronze is very hard, so using bronze tools to make those stones look like wouldn't be has hard as it may look at first, but it surely took a lot of time.

First thanks to both for posting

Thanks for the info on bronze. I did not really think it would be hard enough to carve stone. It would be nice if more info on the shapes could be found somewhere that will give us more of a clue to there meaning aside from the male, female interpretation.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
The Stones are alleged to possess ancient and mystical powers.

en.wikipedia.org...

My favourite band The Levellers recorded a song entitled Men-An-Tol.
Apparently Simon Friend and a fellow band member were walking in the Cornish countryside and when they came upon the stones Simon passed through The Crick Stone.
He felt a rush of energy, had an urge to run around the coutryside and was engulfed with emotion which he tried to capture in the lyrics of the song.

So I find myself among
The brave Southswestern hills
Running like a madman on the moor
Let the sweet Atlantic rain
Wash away my youth
The Men-An-Tol shone strangely in the storm
I get the strangest feeling
In the air around
It's more than just a feeling
A different way of seeing
A different kind of life
Something I believe in
But in amongst the city lights
The feeling's not so clean
Faceless signs and neon lights
Hide what I hold dear
It's there to find if you have the mind
And you don't live in fear of it
I rest among what still remains
Of lifes that passed before
Lighting strikes the top of Zennor Tor
I find myself amazed again
At man's pathetic score
Years of knowledge wasted and ignored

www.musicsonglyrics.com...
www.youtube.com...

[edit on 28/8/10 by Freeborn]

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

One thing that I find strange is that these stone formations in the UK look like they were built in (or at least used until) relatively recent times, when compared to other megalithic formations.

Bronze was only surpassed as the toughest metal used with the invention of steel, and is still used in some machine parts. I saw once a TV show about old cars and one of the cars had bronze engine, and even being a 80 years old engine, all the parts were still almost as new.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I notice that one of those pictures looks like a sighting device. I wonder if it is to focus on any particular heavenly body or the sun or moon on a certain day. In 3500 years there might be some shift in the heavens but still it very well might be a recognition of a time or place of the calender year or sky!
Zindo

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I have heard of these being interpreted as pagan fertility symbols i.e. a lingam and yoni... I'm sure I don't need to draw a diagram of why. just look at the pictures

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
The Stones are alleged to possess ancient and mystical powers.

Maybe.

When one enters a barely accessible monolithic stone circle (interception point), relaxes, chills out and opens their soul to the spirit realm, who knows what the spirits will do with them. (location: Boskednan Stone Circle, NW of Madron, Penzance, Cornwall, UK. 5/9/2019).
Note: the place is so off-the-track, with a path that is nothing more than a 1/2 foot wide, rocky ditch of granite boulders and sand, one wonders if this stone circle was supposed to be accessible to us.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 03:31 PM
link   
One wonders if the Neanderthals had their own version of the "101" Torture Chambers mentioned in the book "1984".
Location: Boskednan Stone Circle, NW of Madron, Penzance, Cornwall, UK. 5/9/2019

Men-an-Tol

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 05:17 AM
link   
I live near Men and Tol (stone with the hole) and other megalithic sties in Cornwall.. I can tell you that children were put through the hole stone to "supposedly" cure rickets back in the day ( my mother can attest to this)..
its quite possible that most of the megalithic sites in Cornwall are much older than previously thought.

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 05:22 AM
link   
a reply to: RedGolem

Looks neat. I got over to Carnac once in Brittany. That was an amazing sight.

Cheers

top topics

join