It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question regarding what constitutes very large quotes

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

Originally posted by EnlightenUp

Ok, then, I might suggest that even quotes be automatically provided with a link like the Reply [to]....

I like that idea, too. Perhaps you could suggest it.

Well, I'll demonstrate just this once what I mean by nesting for context, how I use it and essentially what I meant to suggest about links. I suppose I can reference it for the link idea in the Complains/Suggestions forum then.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Good idea on the link, Three_moons.

About the fairness thing. I'm being as fair as I can be and dinging as few members as is possible and get the job done in the forums I moderate.

One member got hit harder than I intended.

Just remember that good work gets rewarded on ATS too.

All I can say is don't worry so much about the excesses of others and try to comply with the rules and police yourselves.

These things can be contagious, if those who care are faithful in their effort.

Thank you all for participating in this discussion. I'll be out for awhile.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

Paraphrasing can be dangerous on a forum like this. It is very, very easy to completely misrepresent the position of another poster either by accident or design. I appreciate that there are T&Cs we must adhere to, but paraphrasing entails the danger of somebody's views being misrepresented. We all know where that can lead to...

Your example of "essays and academic papers" paraphrasing is comparing apples and oranges in my opinion. When we are quoting other members (in the context as is being discussed in this thread) we are not doing so to give credit or back up our own arguments to establish a position of our own; we are doing so to identify a specific section(s) we wish to discuss further or comment on.

[edit on 26/8/2010 by Dark Ghost]

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join