It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tamil supporters call for refugee 'status for all'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Tamil supporters call for refugee 'status for all'

www.winnipegsun.com

OTTAWA — A refugee rights group protested outside the Citizenship and Immigration Canada offices here Monday, demanding the feds release all 492 Tamil migrants and give them refugee status.

About 50 people attended the No One is Illegal rally at the corner of Kent St. and Laurier Ave., holding placards and banners reading, "Let them stay," and "No one is illegal."

Among the chants: "Jason Kenney go away, Tamil migrants here to stay," and "Refugee rights under attack. What do we do? Unite, fight back."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I really don't have much to say becuase I already made my position clear in another thread. This quote from the article sums it up for me.

But a spokesman for Immigration Minister Jason Kenney lashed out at the group, saying they're "completely out of touch" with Canadians.

"They think the world’s six billion people all have a right to move to Canada, they want us to stop enforcing our immigration laws, and they think it’s racist to call someone an illegal immigrant or a bogus refugee claimant," Alykhan Velshi wrote in an e-mail. "They are completely out of touch with ordinary, hardworking Canadians, as well as those legal immigrants who wait patiently in the queue to live in our great country.”

www.winnipegsun.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Amazing how these people think! It took me 3 & 1/2 years to go through the system and become a landed immigrant LEGALLY. Why should they be given refugee status? I know of many South Africans who have also suffered in life, and yet South Africans can not be given that status - I only know of 1 family who were allowed to come here, and that was because a family member suffered from a rare skin disorder, and Canada's mild climate alleviated this person's problem.

(Oops - sorry, forgot about the 1 white dude - and look at the reactions)

www.nationalpost.com...
www.guardian.co.uk...

I've been working here from 2 weeks of landing and contributing to the economy, and these guys want to free load. I don't think that's fair at all.

Oh yeah, and who fits the bill - The Canadian taxpayer (whether you be a resident or a citizen)

[edit on 23-8-2010 by TortoiseKweek]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by FreeSpeaker

I made my opinion on this issue clear on another thread discussing the arrival of this ship before it docked only to be called a racist? i also metioned that I believed that there were likely more ships en route and I was also correct in that assumption. Canada is considered a haven among less fortunate as we seem to have an open door policy towards refugee status. Because as you know turning away anyone who arrives on our doorstep claiming refugee status would make us racist. I say we should simply send out a military hospital with supplies (medical, food , water etc) and turn them around in the direction they cam from. If they want to try and come here legally and join the queue of thousands I have absolutely no problem with that.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by nepafogo

Because as you know turning away anyone who arrives on our doorstep claiming refugee status would make us racist. I say we should simply send out a military hospital with supplies (medical, food , water etc) and turn them around in the direction they cam from. If they want to try and come here legally and join the queue of thousands I have absolutely no problem with that.

The bleeding hearts are immune to logic and common sense so we will just have to keep voiceing our opposition and continue to be ridiculed as racists. It doesn't bother me because I know the majority of Canadians agree with us.

[edit on 23-8-2010 by FreeSpeaker]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Finally a statement from the Tamils I agree with: Refugee status for all.
I get to sit home and collect my refugee cheque just like they do. 10 generations since my ancestors were dumped here when the British turned Scotland into deer parks and sheep farms.
Are these cheques retroactive?
My teeth are bad and I have not been to doc since..., my calculator does not have enough zeros.
If only every Canadian got the treatment of refugees.
But who would pay the freight?

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by TortoiseKweek
Amazing how these people think! It took me 3 & 1/2 years to go through the system and become a landed immigrant LEGALLY. Why should they be given refugee status? I know of many South Africans who have also suffered in life, and yet South Africans can not be given that status - I only know of 1 family who were allowed to come here, and that was because a family member suffered from a rare skin disorder, and Canada's mild climate alleviated this person's problem.

(Oops - sorry, forgot about the 1 white dude - and look at the reactions)

www.nationalpost.com...
www.guardian.co.uk...

I've been working here from 2 weeks of landing and contributing to the economy, and these guys want to free load. I don't think that's fair at all.

Oh yeah, and who fits the bill - The Canadian taxpayer (whether you be a resident or a citizen)

Thanks for the reply and imput. The funny thing is the people saying let them in hold up examples like yourself to say "see, they are contributing to our society". The same people don't bother to consider your concerns about refugees entering without following the proper, time consuming, procedures like you yourself did.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by SimplyGord
Finally a statement from the Tamils I agree with: Refugee status for all.
I get to sit home and collect my refugee cheque just like they do. 10 generations since my ancestors were dumped here when the British turned Scotland into deer parks and sheep farms.
Are these cheques retroactive?
My teeth are bad and I have not been to doc since..., my calculator does not have enough zeros.
If only every Canadian got the treatment of refugees.
But who would pay the freight?

Nice!

second line.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Second line: Proud people who have spread the seed east to west, north to south. People who feel for others who are escaping.
But even to this day Culloden is remembered

new topics

top topics

join