It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you spot the oxymoron in this headline?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Do these people even think before they say something?

Too Many 'Non-Criminal' Illegals Deported, Leftists Say

Left-wing activists are upset that the U.S. Government is deporting too many illegal immigrants who don’t have “serious” criminal records, the Miami Herald reports. “Few deported aliens have serious criminal records, activists say,” ran the headline in the paper. Question is, what do the activists and the Herald consider a “few”? The number apparently hovers at about 40,000.

Secure Communities, via ICE's 287(g) program, permits local police agencies to check a suspect’s fingerprints against a federal database containing those of criminal aliens, and the leftist Center for Constitutional Rights isn’t happy about it. With the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law in New York, it analyzed ICE documents. The group, the Herald reports, “says that the majority or 79 percent of people deported in connection to Secure Communities were non-criminals or had been picked up by local police for relatively minor offenses including traffic violations or petty juvenile mischief.”

The New American

Don't they realise that when someone is an "illegal" that means that they have broken our country's laws to enter illegally? Isn't the definition of a criminal something along the lines of someone who has done something illegal?

I still can't believe the audacity of the people who support the "illegal" community.

[edit on 8/17/10 by FortAnthem]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
According to the patriot act, patriots are illegal.
How Or(un)wellian..
As I post this, on the radio I hear:
The DOJ has been investigating Sheriff Arpao for a year alleging his anti illegal immigrant sweeps are discriminatory racial profiling.
Catching criminals is illegal?

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
While I personally do empathize with those who want to come to America for the opportunity to participate in the opportunities provided here, I absolutely do see the oxymoron in the above headline.

Everybody is aware of and caught up in the controvery over amnesty - something I think that will probably happen eventually. But I spend my time trying to figure out what amnesty is a political step towards...

Mexico as a state?
An American Union not unlike the European model?

I do know that it does't take too much common sense to understand that "illegal" means, by definition "outside of the law".

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Ugh. That might be our winner of the week as far as dumbest headline.

What the HELL is happening to journalism? Great catch.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
As long as people demand secure borders with any amnesty package, we won't see amnesty, thank god. Back when amnesty was instituted in the 80s, securing the borders was ignored so it was a win-win for TPTB but this time, most likely due to the [false] threat of terrorism, people are demanding secure borders. You won't see one without the other, therefore you won't see eather one.

You see, TPTB will never secure the borders because not only do they get cheap labor from the illegals, but they can also smuggle their illegal drugs too. If you secure the borders, it will be much harder for both to come to fruition and having a bunch of legals who used to be illegal would mean that cheap(er) labor would dry up and the facade for drug smuggling would no longer exist.

--airspoon

[edit on 17-8-2010 by airspoon]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem
I still can't believe the audacity of the people who support the "illegal" community.

Hear hear!!

So I take it that you are running a political campaign to have the North American colony reunited with the British empire?

Good luck with that!!

Don't let them pesky First People Enjuns tell you any different about borders and respecting them.

Milk and two thanks.

-m0r

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

I have attempted to get a new catch phrase to take hold-

Criminal Invaders

But for some reason I keep getting called a racist by the progressives.

When I ask them what do they mean racist, they say I am racist against Mexicans.

When I respond that Mexican is not a race, just as American is not a race, their eyes glaze over, they get a facial tick, their head starts to shake and then-

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2d00ab782a42.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   
how can one have canammex, with closed borders, not only that but then what about the canammex highway? part of NAFTA, still looking for the true name if there is one, see also Texas Trans Highway. form mex to canada and yes folks it is here

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

While I personally do empathize with those who want to come to America for the opportunity to participate in the opportunities provided here,

And what opportunities are there? REALLY??? The sooner these people from outside our country realize they're sucking on a dried up teat, the better it'll be for them, because they will find they probably will live better in their country of origin than us eventually. The American dream is dead, and they're not helping matters any!

[edit on 17-8-2010 by ldyserenity]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   
What I'd like to know is how they are living like this here:

KPHO-TV News in Arizona last month examined the case of the Salazar family in Phoenix. All 10 members of the family have lived in a four-bedroom public housing apartment for the last six years, even though both parents are illegal immigrants from Mexico and have no right to be in the U.S

source

And most of US are living like this here:

Can anybody find the oxymoron in the picture above? HMMMMM???

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

While I cannot argue at all with the current trend in the economy. I can say, from having travelled abroad that my life, that life here, while by no means ideal. is quite preferable to other places I have been, including rural areas of Mexico.

[edit on 8/18/10 by Hefficide]

[edit on 8/18/10 by Hefficide]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   

crim·i·nal:
Adj. 1. Of, involving, or having the nature of crime: criminal abuse.
2. Relating to the administration of penal law.
3. a. Guilty of crime. b. Characteristic of a criminal.

crime:
n. 1. An act committed or omitted in violation of a law forbidding or commanding it and for which punishment is imposed upon conviction.
2. Unlawful activity

il·le·gal:
n. An illegal immigrant or a person who has entered or attempted to enter a country illegally.

I understand your argument that crossing the border is a crime and a 'non-criminal' illegal is an oxymoron. I think the article and 'leftists' are focusing on crimes that actually affect other people...theft, violent crime, etc.

If someone crosses the border, rents a house or apartment and does odd-jobs in the community WITHOUT being on welfare or any governmental supplement I don't view that as a crime. However, it is...which is why I advocate reformation of immigration laws to make such illegal actions, as simply crossing the border, legal.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

It may be today, but I doubt that will be true very soon. I tried to write a long reply to your post but my computer is beng dingy and I just do not feel like typing it out again! The fact of the matter is the dream is dead, and many people in many other countries will soon be having much better times than us by far!

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by bekod

"...still looking for the true name if there is one, "

The NASCO Corridor .

See : North America SuperCorridor Coalition , Inc. (NASCO)

North American Inland Ports Network (NAIPN)

Security and Prosperity Partnership of North America (SPP)

www.spp.gov...
www.nascocorridor.com...
www.warriorsfortruth.com...

[edit on 18-8-2010 by okbmd]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 03:39 AM
link   
The liberal in me tells me that these people while here broke no law but the centrist in me tells me that these people broke the law the second they entred United States grounds.

This is not a "Left-V-Right" issue but the only most logical conclusion that is to solely and exclusively here is the fact that these people broke the law to get here thus making them unlawfully and illegally here and that is the only point that matters.

There are already legal avenues that someone can do to legalize themselves as a fully backed and flegged United States citizen but the target on this debate is over those who are here illegally. The target here is not those who followed the letter of the law and came here legally.

This is the land of oppourtunity and with that in mind to be able to play you got to play by the rules.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 04:15 AM
link   
winner winner chicken dinner,
this is one for the ages if you read this and dont realize how ridiculous it sounds then wow!! and the fact of the matter is illegal is illegal that means if you are a illegal immigrant then you have broken the law how hard is it to understand and by the way im latino (mexican)

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 04:20 AM
link   

No. The quotes around "non-illegal" indicate that the definition is not meant as the literal one but to be taken within the context of the irony that the sentence embodies. If a person were talking to you and used their fingers, you probably would have gotten it.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   
The problem is the legal status is poorly defined. They technically aren't criminals because being in the country without immigration documents isn't a criminal offense. There's no statute and no punishment except deportation.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Your source headline read

Originally posted by FortAnthem

Too Many 'Non-Criminal' Illegals Deported, Leftists Say

The article they cited had the headline ..

“Few deported aliens have serious criminal records, activists say,” [edit on 8/17/10 by FortAnthem]

Those are not the same meaning by a long shot.

What they are stating is that amongst those deported, very few have "criminal records"...you do understand, don't you...."record"?

A first time burglar can be found to have no criminal RECORD.

Carry on...

[edit on 18-8-2010 by maybereal11]

join