It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Take On The World As We Know It (Mass Communication and Future Shock)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   
In today's world I can't help but notice our increasing fears concerning the world around us. There is a new change we are seeing, and it is coming quicker and quicker. Today we have climate change, apprehension of nuclear war, terrorism, global economy, westernization, etc. Everything shouts global awareness. It has only been like this since the age of colonization though. Now anyone, on any latitude and longitude of the Earth, can connect in someway with each other. To think the world was once inhabited by civilizations that couldn't fathom other civilizations, sometimes even just outside their mountain range or desert, it really shows some kind of epoch of humanity.

Think of it like a meteor hitting the earth. The impact wave would circle the globe and eventually come back to a point on the opposite side of impact, where the process repeats itself until dying out.

In other words, everyone becomes aware of everyone, and the ability to know of and communicate with everyone increases. Coupled with technology and our ever increasing communication methods, our knowledge should increase exponentially.When I think of this, I think of the book Future Shock by Alvin Tofler and McKenna's TimeWave Zero.

I think they had it right somehow.

Even if Timewave is way off, and Tofler forgot about evolution, they still help to visual the shock that is coming from this ever increasing flow of information.

Everyday there is something new happening. We see see the devastation caused by natural disasters such as hurricanes and earthquakes. We see man made disasters like the oil spill. We all look at it like it is something so new. And it is.

My main point is that we are becoming so aware of the world around us and beyond, that it is increasing exponentially to the point where we will reach some sort of epoch in our new global awareness, just as there was an epoch when we discovered every last piece of earth.

Hopefully we will learn exponentially how to live with each other in our closest rendition of a utopia, but I have some doubts. Will our human nature kick in once we all realize we all want the world, where we then try to destroy each other into extinction, or will we finally learn how to embrace each other and realize that we are not just nations but one planet, and that our greatest threat to ourselves comes from space?

For those of you that took the time to read this, what do you think? (Much appreciation for those that did)

- Pop

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
We're moving along nicely at this exciting historical bottleneck, people.

This thread could attract more attention and responses except that people are probably already divided so that some take this for granted and see it demonstrated on a daily basis, and don't have much to add, while others are still rolling their eyes and thinking it's all wishful thinking. I look at these threads like the fruit produced whenever someone is so moved by new experiences that they finally have to share them. It's a shame they don't always get the attention they deserve because we should all be reminded of these experiences more often.

join