It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it possible to create a new language (metaphysically based)?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
This all started for me on the direct experience of seeing that language is limited and that the thought of something is not the actual something. An actual something, when experiencing that something, is without words without labels ...it just is.

Then relativity comes in and labels the "actual something" with labels relative to the the labelers upbringing, gender, ideas. concepts, class, culture, education, biases, etc.

So language itself limits us, we got lost in translation, debates stir, etc.

So is it possible to create a language to destroy all this or at least circumvent it?

Perhaps using symbols, or postulating words that cant be defined would help?

For example just like we have these Ω, ॐ, ∞, and so on..........

.......we can create new ones that are undefinable and brings the mind to a complete stop and leads to further examining what is there that one is left with.

This is all very philosophical of course. For example lets take a term like "nothing but nothing" = nobuno or "nothing not even the idea of nothing full stop" would be like nothing ≠ thought of nothing. We can use the ≠ symbol as nothing that can be fathomed.

And so based of these principles can a language be made?

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Yes, you can create a constructed language... in fact, there are a number of those and reading them and playing with them is a fascinating exercise. Rick Harrison's "Language lab" site has some resources that you may find interesting:
www.rickharrison.com...

www.rickharrison.com...

A friend of mine created the language Laadan to test the Worf-Sapir philosophy ( en.wikipedia.org...) She's a linguist -- and one of the most fascinating people I know, with endless kind curiosity about people and how they speak.

So, yes it's possible... but it is a difficult task. What you may want to be doing instead is making up words to "split" categories and make them more exactly defined. That's not as difficult a task but it's a pretty big one.

Anyway, go play with Rick's page. I think it's kinda fun.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
They created languages for both Avatar and Star Wars so that's possible.

As far as a deeply intuitive language of ideas/symbols, maybe something like Egyptian or any other ancient language.

[edit on 7-8-2010 by AProphet1233]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
The problem sits with interpretation. Everyone's idea of red is different. Yours is most certainly not like mine. It would be impossible to bridge the gap between my thoughts and yours. Or is it? Everyone has the idea of a perfect circle. Problem is, your circle might be different size, hence interpretation. But that idea of perfection.....can we build upon that? Not if its lost in translation.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

As alluded to earlier you might want to read about the Whorf-Sapir hypothesis. It covers a lot of your interests in how languages may effect the way we perceive the world, and research on languages constructed to test this hypothesis.

top topics

join