It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woah! Did I just see the entire sea floor lift up?!

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Okay ms paint to the rescue.

I was in the same boat for a few seconds as some of you, I was convinced the seabed just rose and then dropped. Nah, think of it like the camera is attached to the equipment that was stabbing the ground (or taking a sample, who knows).

If you watch the video with the mindset of something 'crazy' is going on, you're going to influence yourself into believing what you read/see. As this IS an 'illusion'.

Take a step back, open your mind and think of it this way and see if it changes your opinion:

(The red thing with the C being the camera)

Sorry my mspaint skills are astonishing, but I hope it gives an idea. Watch the video again if you understand my drawing and you will see the light! The equipment moves up and down but not the seabed.. the height of the camera changes as if its connected to a pole, but also attached to the 'arm'.

[edit on 4-8-2010 by MurrayTORONTO]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
With all due respect to everyone's point-of-view, the ocean floor did not rise up and sink back down. The remotely-controlled rover embeds itself into the floor (for stability) prior to the extending arm beginning to bore.

What is then considered as an ocean floor shift, is simply the rise of the hydraulic stabliser legs...the whole machine lifts, probably to reorientate in preparation to bore another hole. That is all that is happening.

What looks like the rising of the ocean floor, is in fact an illusion, it all depends on your visual reference point. Think of the train illusion effect, where you are sitting on a stationary train in a station whilst another train on the other track also waits. One of the trains begins to move, and for a second or so, one is unable to acertain which train is actually moving...it is the same effect here.

If you use the rover arm as your only visual point of reference, then it is only the rover that moves. If you use the ocean floor in the background as your reference point then it seems that the ocean floor rises up and then sinks down. If the ocean floor did indeed rise up and down (similar in a way the street floor rose and sank in Speilberg's version of War of the Worlds), the rover also would have been violently shifted, and the scene would be much more chaotic than presented.

I also take task with the guy narrating the film. I cannot believe that someone capable of manipulating technology to present the film he shows, is not capable of discerning what is actually going on. He has purposely set out to try and cause undue alarm. In fact, he's just a drama queen.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
notice at about 1:50 how the sand and detritus settles so quickly...not lingering and dispersing slowly in the liquid medium like would make sense, but rather it comes crashing down to the sea floor almost as if the camera was quickly pulled from a downward orientation upwards...

edit for grammar.

[edit on 4-8-2010 by Threadfall]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Some are still saying the sea floor rose up or buckled others are saying not so. I think we do all agree the rov bent over and touched the sea floor (taking into account it is heavy) and we all saw something, right? My question is what was the Rov trying to do by touching the floor and why did we see anything at all when it did this? There was a lot of silt, and motion - so for those that say it was not the sea floor rising tell us what you think happened, please?

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Base on my observation this is genuine, why am i telling this, coz when the arm of the rover streches to the soil you will notice the arm slowly burried under the soil as the seabed rises up and there was no movement on the joint of the rover as a sign that the hand of the rover is pushing up. Try to notice the side of the screen as the seabed pushes up still there was no movement between the edge of the screen and the hand of the rover and there should be a little movement on the camera as the seabed suddenly pulled down but there is non. try to notice that

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by boomadatigger

It was only the camera and ROV moving, not the seabed. Now, if you want to see a good video of the corruption in the gulf spill, check these.

Project Deep Horizon Cut-Throat Part 1
www.youtube.com...

Project Deep Horizon Cut-Throat Part 2
www.youtube.com...

Project Deep Horizon Cut-Throat Part 3
www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Threadfall
Geez. I've watched this video about a dozen times and after each viewing it becomes more and more obvious that the phenomena is caused by movement of the rov. People, please look at the video as much as you need to...but the sea floor DID NOT move. Don't believe me? I'll ask the question many here have already asked in case anyone missed it: where's the damn tsunami?!?!?!?!?!!??

(my first double barf thread), S&F for that!

Did you see the seafloor rupture?

NO

Then why would you expect to see a tsunami

The seafloor moved up, then back down.

It's not possible for it to be the ROV. The thing weighs over 4 tons and rests on the seafloor. Have you seen the picture of it?

It's not the panning of the camera. That was clearly shown in the beginning. Notice how the arm moves in relation to the camera angle. That doesn't happen when the seafloor rises.

It's obvious that people are blinded by their emotions here, else are disinfo agents.

I really didn't want this to be.

I shot about 20 "what ifs" to my friend, and he debunked everyone.

Dude has an IQ of 174. I trust his assessment.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
Some are still saying the sea floor rose up or buckled others are saying not so. I think we do all agree the rov bent over and touched the sea floor (taking into account it is heavy) and we all saw something, right? My question is what was the Rov trying to do by touching the floor and why did we see anything at all when it did this? There was a lot of silt, and motion - so for those that say it was not the sea floor rising tell us what you think happened, please?

Likely, it's job was to cause exactly what we saw. Pressure was building, so it's job was to cause the seafloor to burp, so that we could by time for the "kill" operation.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Rupture or not, the displacement of that much water should have caused some kind observable wave event somewhere...

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
It's not possible for it to be the ROV. The thing weighs over 4 tons and rests on the seafloor. Have you seen the picture of it?

It's not the panning of the camera. That was clearly shown in the beginning. Notice how the arm moves in relation to the camera angle. That doesn't happen when the seafloor rises.

It's obvious that people are blinded by their emotions here, else are disinfo agents.

I retract everything I said. Unityemissions is correct...how could something that weighs in over four tons possibly move?!

[edit on 4-8-2010 by Threadfall]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Threadfall

I don't think so.

The tsunami that people are talking about comes from when a bubble happens at the surface. It bulges up, until it becomes too unstable and bursts. The water in the surrounding area fills in the gap which has been created, and a tsunami occurs.

We're talking about 5,000 ft under the water here. Completely different.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Threadfall

Don't be a smart ass, you know what I meant. It's impossible for this whole thing to move VERTICALLY. Notice that the drilling arm was in the seafloor.

WTH would they risk screwing up an incredibly expensive bit and arm by moving the whole unit down and up? That makes no sense. If it was just a camera mount that moved, you would have seen the arm change in reference to the camera height. You don't.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

No! I honestly don't know what you mean sir or maam. I know you said the rov weighs over four tons then declare it couldn't possibly be the rov moving...what else should i assume you mean? And you are right about one thing though, people are blinded by their emotions.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Yes, that was all I mentioned...

I'll be off to other conspiracy sites that are much more enlightening, not filled with disinfo agents, and quite much more mature.

Have fun kids!~

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   

I discussed this with a highly analytical friend. He convinced me it's the seafloor. This ROV weighs over 4 tons. It's resting on the seafloor. You can see the camera panning up and down initially, and the arm moves in relation to it. When the sea floor rises, you don't anything else move, also the ground bulges around the arm that is piercing the floor. This is for real, guys. The oil and methane are seeping through a leak far under the surface, and it could go BOOOOOOOOMMM at any moment.

Your highly analytical friend appears to be just as easily swayed by dramatic commentary as you are.

When you say the camera is panning, it is merely the arm moving. The camera remains stationary. Then you contradict the point you are trying to make by saying the ROV is resting on the sea floor. If the sea floor rose, and the ROV was "resting" on the floor, you would not see any perceived movement. Unless.... the ROV tilted!

Think of it this way. You enter an elevator and the doors close. You are resting on the elevator floor. Now the elevator starts moving up to a higher level. You do not see a dramatic rise in the elevator floor, as you are moving with it. Of course, you could tilt your head to create an optical illusion to make it seem as though the floor is rising.

When "the sea floor rises", you can see other things moving. You can see a couple of specs lit in the light, moving up at a similar angular velocity to that of the sea floor. This indicates that the position of the camera is moving, not the sea floor.

Also, you should learn how tsunamis are formed before trying to educate others. Any movement of sea floor will displace water. The energy from the displaced water propagates out, which can cause a tsunami. Of course, not all displacement causes a tsunami, but not for the reasons you have stated. Tsunami's are rarely generated from a "rupture" or a "bubble".

I definitely agree people are blinded by their emotions, though. Especially when they start resorting to name calling, like "disinfo". You can label me disinfo if you like. Or I could just say my IQ is 180, therefore you must believe everything I say.

[edit on 5/8/10 by Curious and Concerned]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Free4Ever2
Is it fear? is that why as soon as something like this comes along you all start saying its just the camera moving. There is clearly something happening in that video!

If the camera is moving why does the robotic arm stay where it is!

Why does the sea floor actaully go above the hand of the robotic arm?

Now i havnt been much attention to all this stuff in the gulf but this made me sit up and take a little sharp breath! In my opinion i think methane is building up uncrontolably. Ive heard a few people talking about this methane build up and to be quite frankly honest i believe it!

So again i ask, Is it fear that leads you to be so disillusioned?

Fear?

No. It's called intelligence.

"Fear" is what ignorant people spread when they think they have the whole story, and rush to judgemement before asking tough questions.

My problem with ATS is none of these people who start these ZOMG! threads ever come back and say, 'my bad i was wrong'. when they inevitably turn out to be hyperventalating nonsense.

[edit on 4-8-2010 by justadood]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Yes, that was all I mentioned...

I'll be off to other conspiracy sites that are much more enlightening, not filled with disinfo agents, and quite much more mature.

Have fun kids!~

Feel free to post or U2U me some of these magical sights where the uneducated dont spread fear and disinfo and call anyone who DARES to challenge them 'shills'.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Threadfall
Geez. I've watched this video about a dozen times and after each viewing it becomes more and more obvious that the phenomena is caused by movement of the rov. People, please look at the video as much as you need to...but the sea floor DID NOT move. Don't believe me? I'll ask the question many here have already asked in case anyone missed it: where's the damn tsunami?!?!?!?!?!!??

(my first double barf thread), S&F for that!

Did you see the seafloor rupture?

NO

Then why would you expect to see a tsunami

The seafloor moved up, then back down.

I really didn't want this to be.

I shot about 20 "what ifs" to my friend, and he debunked everyone.

Dude has an IQ of 174. I trust his assessment.

Let me get this straight:

You are saying the entire sea floor moved to that degree (because of a massive 'burp' of methane and crude underneath) and it just moved back down as if nothing happened?

no rupture, no displacement, just highly fragile ocean floor pulsating?

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Want to correct myself as i studied this video, i concentrate on those numbers beside the lower left of the screen, try look youreself folks as the seabed rises the number also increases, and as the seabed pulled down suddenly the numbers quickly decreases. So its the ROV is lifting and not the seabed

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 04:32 AM
link   
I genuinely can't believe this thread is still going, oh dear oh dear...

I just had one final look at the vid. Has anyone mentioned how the floor 'rises' slowly then 'falls' two or three times as fast? To me, it appears as though the back of the rover lifts up slowly, pushing the arm/drill bit (or whatever the hell it is) into the floor. I can't say for sure why it would be done this way instead of just moving the arm but it could be that it's just easier to keep the 'drill' in position that way.
The floor comtinues to 'rise' until it reaches it's peak - basically the rear of the rover has lifted sufficiently to get what IMO is a core sample - and then it drops again.
Notice how the rover stayed perfectly still (Eg. didn't wobble or shake) while the floor 'lifted' - this simply couldn't happen. We would have seen the rover tilt BACKWARDS and then level out again, if the floor rose in a wave like people on here claim.
As soon as the rover has leveled out (or the floor dropped... whatever) it immediately becomes unstable. How? Because it's rear legs have made contact with the floor and it thrusters have kicked in, also causing the plumes of dust that pass infront of the camera. This is backed up by the rover then turning. Simples!

And by the by... those other dust clouds you see that are well out in front of the rover before this dull event? They could be caused by underwater currents, or fish that are just out of view. Use your heads people.

Does anyone agree with my opinion? I can guess there'll be those that don't...

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join