It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Airforce ROTC Scholarship

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Im trying to get an ROTC scholarship for the Air Force and I wanted some advice/help.

Im trying to get a type 1 scholarship or a type 2 if I cant get type one.

That means I have to excelt at my physical assessment, personal mission statement, interviews and profile.

I willl take any advice from how to max out the Physical Assesment or the Mission Statement.

My father was an army helo pilot for 20 years so I have that running for me and I got an 30 on my ACT and my GPA was a 3.46 but grades came out and it could be higher.

My only problem is my extracurriclurs are weak. Ive done youth and government for 3 years but other than that I really didnt do any sports and I could barely say I did key club volunteering.

Right now I run a 12 flat 1.5 mile and a 7 minute mile. Im 5'9 and 153 so Im not overweight I just need to start training.

So any help with buffing up my situp/pushup numbers would be greatly appreciated as would any help with answering the personal mission statement questions.

This may be BTS stuff but I put it in this forum because the front page is where all the traffic is and Im trying to get as much feedback as possible.

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 02:21 PM
link   
*Bump*

Last time I put this up was 2am, so its gonna need a lil shove.

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I'll probably get more response in Chit Chat so move it there if you feel it fits Admin.

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 11:34 PM
link   
well as a former high schooler (graduated last month
) ive been looking at the AFROTC after i got through with my air force enlistment. (starting august 10th im so excited) had to get that outta the way.

i can get you some pretty good information.

academically, you have it in the bag. i think the min is a 2.7 GPA and a 24 on the act.

although the physical requierment ill have to look up and get back to you.

in my own humble opinion, i believe that prior enlisted officers are better than the ones right out of the Academy or ROTC. if i were you id enlist first, that way when you do get your comission youll still e a 2nd Lt., but you get more money than the rest of the officers. and not to mention being an NCO will give you leadership training that no college or AFROTC course could give you. and youll know what your subordinates are going through so you could help them, and earn their respect.

also, youll only get the schloarship if you're majoring in what the AF needs at the time. and get ready to wait. they used to take cadets 3 times a year, but now they are only taking thme once per year.

there is also a service commitment. pilots i believe its 10years, navigators is 5 years and i dunno how long everything else is.

and,denpending what your major is,(AF will classify it as technical or non technical) that will also determine what kinda schloarship you get.

they have 4,3,and 2 year programs avaiable. U2U if you wanna know more on that and to find out what detachments the schools your looking to atend have.

sorry so allover the place, getting ready to call it a night here.

hope this helps, and if you need something cleared up just U2U me.

ivan

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 11:53 PM
link   
First off, the AFROTC scholarship(s) will vary per the school you wish to attend. Example: some schools may require a GPA of 3.0 or better, while others may require 2.5.

Secondly, your ACT scores, on average, are 6 points higher than required (required is 24).

Thirdly, there are existing or co-existing scholarships that can be obtained on top of the AFROTC ones.

Fourth, your size, weight, and fitness are seemingly within the guidelines. Your extracurriculars appear to be also enough. The more the better, but really doesn't matter. Maybe a letter of recomendation or two would help. Air Force Acadamy used to, and may still do, require a letter from a state Congressman or Senator, which was fairly easy to get.

Wish you the best of luck....it is very competitive, but is again, based on where you wish to attend.

seekerof

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof

Wish you the best of luck....it is very competitive, but is again, based on where you wish to attend.

seekerof

I knew youd have answers

Thanks for the feedback.

I want to attend the University of Texas at Austin so Im trying to get a type 1 scholarship that puts no limit on tuition costs and pays 510 for books and fees.

Thats something 5 percent of applicants get.

The type two has a 9,100 dollar cap on tuition and is given to about 20 percent of applicants.

top topics

join