It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS DEMOGRAPHICS OVERHAUL-Very Important

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Greetings Earthlings.

I regret to inform the members and moderators of this site that it seems as if
lately there have been a lot of heated discussions when it comes to certain
political and personal conversations on this board. A lot of outright attacks on personal views of all sides, and a lot of mudslinging more lately than I have ever personally witnessed in the past. People accussing other members of ganging up on each other, members who say that this site is more favorable of one side then they are the other, and that this site has become an outlet for people who are against our current government and certain political parties who want nothing but to destroy this great nation from the inside out. Members who feel as if this site has become a breeding ground for those who wish nothing but ill mannered hatred for those who oppose their sets of views. Simply put, some members dont feel comfortable anymore posting their beliefs on this board for fear that they will either get ganged up on, or be told that their opinions dont matter.

What I do see is a bunch of people who want nothing but good for their fellow citizens/members, and to do everything they can to spread the message to anyone that they can of the corruption that goes on in our day to day behind the scene political environment.
I know that right now, tensions are flaring on both sides, and for good reason.

Its not looking good at all.

With that said, I am calling for an ATS overhaul of the demographics of this website to put an end to this issue once and for all.

Occassionally I will check the ATS demographics to make sure I have a better consideration for the members on this board, because to put it bluntly, I love this site and I love what this site represents. I dont want that ruined, and I am sure MANY other members feel the same way. Afterall, it is the differences that unite us.

What I am asking(And I know it may be a lot to ask) is that ATS do a poll, a REAL Poll on the members on this board. Not the same as the last demographics poll, a serious one. One that includes peoples alliances to political parties, religion, beliefs, age, agendas, and basically a whole overall view of how members on this site really feel about the current affairs our world faces today.

I notice the last time ATS has done a demographic, was in 2007 and it contains some questions that I personally think dont do the site justice, such as "would you buy our book?","would you listen to our radio program?","whats your household income?".
While these are all good statistics to have, I personally think that ATS do a REAL poll to show how members of this board feel about the real things that effect us all while we are engaged in conversations with others on this board.

I think many members on this board(including myself) could use some closure on what they are up against while communicating with other members of this board, that way they are fully aware of their surroundings so they can feel more at ease about posting on certain topics discussed on this board.

I think that this really needs to be done, and that the members deserve it.

This would not be limited to just politics either, this needs to be done on mostly all the forums this website has to offer.

And to make it all anonymous as to make sure nobody gets singled out.

Like I stated earlier, I think this needs to be done to provide some closure for the members on this wonderful site, and that they make sure that EVERYONE has quick access to these findings.

This would be strictly between the staff and the members.
NO PERSONAL INFORMATION WOULD BE DISCUSSED ON THE BOARD.
The survey would be CONFIDENTIAL- SO NOT TO SINGLE ANYONE OUT.

I would really like to hear what the moderators feel about this, as well as the members.

What are your thoughts? Please share.

Thank You.

-Common Good

Edit-cg
ATS Demographic Link-
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 30-7-2010 by Common Good]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

I don't quite understand what the suggestion would do to control heated discussion.
Can you explain how knowing the exact mix of political views would lead to the result you desire?
It will "put an end to the issue"? How?

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

Its not to 'control' anything.

It would simply be for members to know whichway this site leans according to its members own objective views. (sorry I didnt say that in the OP)

It would put an end to the issue of ' this site is more in favor of this side than it is of the other side', because a lot of members believe this site holds nothing but extremist views (which I dont believe).

I hope that answered your question.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I agree. The political and religious aspects in particular could be very useful, if only to see if there is some sort of correlation of numbers.

The 'what is your favourite topic' section would need expanding, too. I've only skimmed through the forums other than the 'Political Ideology' forum.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Hmm... i can kind of understand what you are saying but i view it like this...

I honestly believe that most people on ATS are still open minded, considerate, polite and intelligent...

However, in all walks of life you will get extreme minority’s... These extreme minority’s often seem more in number than they really are, because they are far more vocal and rude.

I believe that this is down to insecurity... almost like a defence mechanism... because they are smaller they must shout louder.

While the rest of us sane and reasonable people just roll our eyes and think "whatever"

I may be wrong... but that’s the way i see it

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

Yea, it was really hard to put this post together without trying to make it sound too personal on my part.

I just want people to be able to feel comfortable about their postings instead of feeling bullied or whatever, and if we could get the demographics to show that what you say is correct, that they would feel more at ease about posting their beliefs.

I agree, some posters just have no idea what they are talking about when they walk into the lions den, and that when someone calls them out on their bluff, they start screaming "bullies" and such. I dont think this is fair to the people who are giving important information/views on certain subjects.

I PERSONALLY see it the way you do, but like I said, I didnt want to make this a personal thing or call out certain members. I think this is a very serious problem so I wanted to keep some level of professionalism in the way I presented this to the board.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Anyone who leans to the critical thinking side gets barred.

I know.

This site is purely for those with an imagination and nothing to substantiate it by.

Don't waste your time.

Read and don't post (unless it's for a friend like my current predicament).

-m0r

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by m0r1arty

Thanks for your input and also for your ability to defy your non-posting beliefs to post on my thread=) I feel honored.

And I just cant help it! Im addicted to it. haha

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Demographically you can place me in the "people like you" section.

I have been referred to so frequently as "it's people like you"...

That I have embraced this designation!

PLY and proud of it.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

hahahahahaha

thanks for that.

I needed a good laugh today.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Common Good
reply to post by whaaa

Glad you were amused. However shouldn't you get this party started by telling us your demographics? Ideologies, religion, sexual preferences, boxers or briefs, etc.

You first!

Personally I'm always a bit suspicious of anyone data mining!!!

Anonymity.....yeah right!

[edit on 30-7-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Unfortunately, I must disagree with the OP.

Only in annonymity will others be given that freedom and lattitude to speak up. Let them do so and freely in all annonymity, without fear or any favour, to speak from their heart.

If it is ill will as such from trolls, it is immediately recognizable, and their input is discarded at will, or responded in kind. Such is freedom, and the intellectual capacity of each member to discern.

Perhaps the intellectual maturity and quality may not be the same for each and everyone, for all comes from various difference in life such as age, location, beliefs, etc, etc, but each too must have a voice and the right to express it, which ATS had done a good job compared to other sites, to be discussed, debated, accepted or thrashed.

Knowledge is not about fears and seeking comfort through control measures to allay such fears. True knowledge is about the courage to listen, discern, and rationalized what is said. This is the way to evolve. No, no more must we allow any form of fear to come into our lives.

Each human should be given the freedom to voice out, as his comfort level in annonymity or full revelation, and every other human the right to respond or not to a post or thread.

Peace.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I also have posted a previous thread, noticing so much rudeness by some members.
We must at least do our best to RESPECT others, especially their point of view or beliefs.
The rude folks always say something like: "If you don't like it, then go to another thread." Or: "If you cant handle a healthy debate, then dont post anything."

There can be a debate, but rudeness, name-calling, and belittling someone is UNCALLED for and is not a debate. It is an excuse to treat someone like crap because they themselves are having a bad day or bad life in general.
I have seen so many threads started by a person who meant well, though didnt know EVERYTHING about the topic, and some members jump in and start chewing folks up. Those members either need to think before they type or if they are unable to think or show adult like behavior, then they look like the fools, and waste everyone elses time trying to scroll past their B.S. antics.

And the excuse of telling folks to go to another thread when they dont like some members starting crap, all I have to say is dont corrupt the threads, and be kind enough to stay off for a moment to cool down and either give a decent mature response, or simply avoid the thread alltogether until you cool down. That like some person throwing a nice party and some jerk a$$ fool shows up, and acts ignorant, then tells all the guests at the party "If you dont like me being an a$$, then leave"......THAT is EXACTLY what some membershave been doing.

We have a hard enough time living with daily B.S. and we dont need it to come to this site.
Whether the topics are true or not, ridiculous or not, everyone needs the respect....and if you click on the thread and you dont care for it, then you really do not have to post anything to it. At least we still get to check things out regardless....

there are threads I really dont have a good opinion about, but I avoid posting B.S. Because I know there are folks out there who may think along the same lines and they must be really interested in that kind of stuff.

Please have respect and if you cant do that, then take a break or just go to threads you like to actually participate in.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

Originally posted by Common Good
reply to post by whaaa

Glad you were amused. However shouldn't you get this party started by telling us your demographics? Ideologies, religion, sexual preferences, boxers or briefs, etc.

You first!

Personally I'm always a bit suspicious of anyone data mining!!!

Anonymity.....yeah right!

[edit on 30-7-2010 by whaaa]

data mining? hmm. Isnt that what ATS is? A place to go for answers?
Is it now against ATS law to know what the members of this site really represent?

Anonymity-yes... You know... where people take the polls like they did under the last Demographic in 2007. Im looking at the 2007 version, and I dont see anything on there about certain members.

Why do you have a problem with seeing which way this site leans?

And my idea can be expanded upon, no doubt about that.

But certain groups are crying about how extremists have taken over ATS and that they get ganged up on. I want to prove to them that is not the case. I dont see it, but if you do, than the poll should be able to tell the truth of the matter.

Im just sick and tired of everybody screaming "Oh, what I say doesnt matter because they will gang up on me" or "My opinion dont matter here".

Im trying to keep this thread civil, but you are making it extremely hard for that to happen by your petty remarks.

Oh and I dont know if you are confused, but this 'poll' would be purely confidential.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
OK I will go first

My name is Dorian and I am 3x years old.

I live in the midwest.

I like long walks and laughing under the moon light.

I dislike mean spirited dishonest people.

I make $XX,xxx ish a year

I have 2 and half kids ( right on the American average )

I like the snow, but not the cold.

I like sunshine but not sun burns.

I like the water but not drowning.

I like ( or dislike ) republicans and democrats alike.

I like the city but not people.

I like the country but not bugs.

I travel in an old english phone booth and like it just fine thank you.

Hope that gets things going.

Dorian Soran
The good doctor!

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Dorian Soran

Not publicly.

That was all unneccessary.

But ok

This would be strictly between the staff and the members.

Then they would post the results at the end.

new topics

top topics

join