It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Wyclef? Ex-Fugee mulling Haiti campaign

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   

President Wyclef? Ex-Fugee mulling Haiti campaign

news.yahoo.com

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti – Singer Wyclef Jean is considering a run for president of Haiti but has not decided whether to seek a five-year term as leader of the quake-ravaged nation, the musician's family said Monday.

There have been rumors for some time the Haitian-born entertainer might enter the 2010 presidential contest, ever since his 2007 appointment as ambassador-at-large for the Caribbean nation by President Rene Preval, who cannot seek re-election.

In a statement e-mailed to reporters, the family said, "Wyclef's commitment to his homeland and its youth is boundless, and he will
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
gawker.com
www.popeater.com

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Wow. Just wow.

I can't even imagine this happening. The way that donation money was handled, I wouldn't trust him. I guess his being a celebrity, it may come to pass.

Wyclef says he hasn't announced it to the press that he's running for President of Haiti, but he didn't deny it.

I also read that he paid his mistress $105,000 through his charity.

I guess anyone shady enough to use donation money for personal gain makes a good political candidate!

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 27-7-2010 by Tha Girl They Call Roc]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Below is a link to a good documentary. There is an alarming rise in celebrities becoming politicians on the global scene.

Starsuckers

In this case I think Wyclef could help. He is passionate, love his nation and loves his people. That is far and away better than the average politician today.

If his intent is to make Haiti better I feel he is a better candidate than someone that simply wants to align with US/Corporate alignment to continue poverty and keeping sugar cane prices down.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
"Not me, it could never happen to me
Professor says what you wanna do? Sell drugs or get a degree?
Looked at him and smiled with 32 gold teeth
And said what you make in a year, I make it in a week"

-Wyclef Jean

For example, the Foundation claimed about $1,000,000 in revenue for 2006, but paid $250,000 to Telemax, a television station controlled by Jean and Duplessis, $31,000 to rent its own offices from Platinum Sound owned by Jean and Duplessis,[19] and $100,000 for Jean's own performance at a benefit concert in Monaco, when Jean had been paid only $40,000 as headliner at 2002 festival at the top of his career with the Fugees

Wiki

There was also some funny business where some spammers were posing as him trying to siphon off some donations for Yele-Haiti. All in all, he is a good Rapper, and a pretty good singer as well as an overall excellent musician. I rocked The Carnival for a while back in the 90's, and Will drop a few tracks when I DJ. Im sure he has a good explanation of the yele foundation shenanigans, But it still feels a little shady to me.

It would be kind of cool to see him as a president, but does he actually have what it takes? I guess time will tell.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Another American in control...
What is it with us ordinary westerners believing we have what it takes to run an entire country!
I don't believe in celebrities entering politics - it doesn't make any sense. Just because they're well known and have a lot of money means they know the best for a country. No. In fact, they are likely to be some of the most out of touch people out there, due to the fact that they live such exclusive lives. How can they represent the people?!

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Pras, former member of the Fugees, won't support Wyclef.

I agree with him.

new topics

top topics

join