It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biometric scanner at my kid's daycare.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Howdy all,

I just dropped my kid at daycare, and they have a new "security" system in place as of this morning. Both my wife and I had to scan our fingerprints in four times each, to "register" with the new biometric scanner they have installed, as well as enter our new, 8 digit, individual ID codes. Really? Is this really necessary? The hairs on the back of my neck stood up.

Before this morning, we just had to enter a four digit code into the computer to log our kid in or out of the school. Ostensibly, this new system is to provide additional "security" for the children. What parent could object to that?
Surely the computer is not networked, and no police or government agency will have access to this biometric information, right? Is there some new plague of rampant kidnapping I hadn't heard about?

This daycare is located across the street from our house, attached to a local church. This church also happens to be the local polling location, where we go to vote. As I walked away, I saw several video cameras attached to the building, which I hadn't noticed before. As I drove to work, I also noticed the video cameras monitoring every intersection along the way. As usual, every couple blocks there were a couple uniformed police officers standing at the intersection, chatting with each other. I also couldn't help but notice the police helicopter hovering about fifty feet above the road, with the video camera slung beneath swiveling intently, searching for...

I live in a major American city, and surveillance and visible police presence is to be expected. But it seems to be becoming more and more prevalent and intrusive. I've recently taken to not wearing my seatbelt as a small gesture of rebellion, which has caused me to notice just how often I am given the once-over by police. I can't make it more than a couple blocks without having to snap my seatbelt into place to avoid a ticket.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Every tightening of the noose will have a good reason. Safety for you, your kids, your dog...

The threat never seems to appear though, even though most of these things would not stop a real criminal or terrorist from doing their worst.

I guess it is supposed to make us all feel safer.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by moonwilson
Howdy all,

As I drove to work, I also noticed the video cameras monitoring every intersection along the way.

They are using motion detection and vision systems to change the lights now as opposed to the old school pressure switches under the pavement. This really saves money and time in addition to detecting motorcycles and bicycles better.

This is not to say that the cameras are not out of control

As for the bulk of your post, I would not provide prints to a daycare, just pull the kid due to the pussification of whomever deemed this a solution. My wife owned a large day care center, and found this way over the top.

If the staff is not competent enough to send your kid home with the parent, and requires prints to "be sure", I lost my trust in them to care for the child prior to pick up.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by SLaPPiE

Pulling my kid from the daycare is not an option. He was on the waiting list before he was born, and was one year old before his name came around and he could attend. Quality daycare/ preschool is very scarce, competitive and expensive where we live. Aside from their ridiculous "security", which I'm sure is lawyer-driven, the school is excellent, one of the very highest-rated in the city. My boy loves it.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I wouldn't be too worried. Companies with biometric technology are only allowed to take a few select points on a finger there is NO way to fully link your finger print or re create it. Meaning IF it is sold to a government they cannot use it as substantial evidence or can link it.

There was a huge controversy with this in my home town when the water-park created a Biometric system so you didn't need to carry your wallet around. Its quite safe if you read up on the legalities of it. Yes its a bit invasive but its further measure to prevent kidnappers.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Looks like you've had your wake-up call.

A people that give up their liberties for security deserve neither. --Benjamin Franklin.

This is a defining moment for you, either this moment will define you or you will define this moment.

All this since 9/11? Imagine, just imagine what the next terrorist act will bring? Whether it's a real act, or a false flag, it's going to send us to a fully controlled police state --FULLY controlled.

People really need to stand up or soon no one will be there to pick you up.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by moonwilson

Get used to it, more cameras will appear. The UK has them all over the place. As for the biometric security measures...you should ask them if they share their database with ANY other organizations, including law enforcement, if it really concerns you. Did you have to sign any paperwork when you submitted your prints? Do they associate the print IDs with your name? Any other info? They should legally have to mention on paperwork that/if they share their database with anybody else?

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Xiamara

Many vendor devices capture a whole print...the algorithms just match the minutiae points to confirm if the ID matches.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
They have the noose around our neck, they just keep tightening it a little more at a time.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by didact

Depending on what your privacy laws are. In Ontario, Canada I believe its only the points and not whole finger. Its one of the reasons why it was so huge people wanted to know if it was whole or partial.

[edit on 27-7-2010 by Xiamara]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Xiamara

I'm operating under the assumption that it is a whole fingerprint scan. Why else would they have me scan my finger four times? At any rate, I have assumed myself to be living within a panopticon for some time now. Cameras are everywhere, might as well comport oneself accordingly. Fingerprint scanners are a new, ominous wrinkle, however. I have not been fingerprinted since my time in the military, ages ago. Until this morning, that is.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I know someone who runs a daycare and this is for fraud more than security. The government uses the fingerprint scanners to validate that you actually watching humans and not someone made up on paper. People were doing that just to recieve extra money from the state, so they implemented this. Any daycare recieving government funding will probably have this. So I wouldn't get alarmed over this. Basically it's just an in onvenient fraud monitoring service that is a hassle to the childcare providers. At any rate, this is the case where I'm from.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I haven't been fingerprinted since the day they lied to us at grade school telling us that our prints will help save our lives if kidnapped.
I'm still pissed off about this btw.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Marrr

Weird, the same thing happened to me at my school when I was very young and now a days I often wonder about that and if it means anything.
Maybe it does maybe it does not.

top topics

join