It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More heat ahead as average NYC temperature in July is 82 degrees, nearly 6 degrees above normal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   

The average temperature in Central Park for the month so far is 82 degrees, 5.7 degrees above normal and ahead of the July 1999 record of 81.4 degrees, according to the National Weather Service.

www.nydailynews.com... xzz0uoUfXkCd

It has been a really hot summer, I think it is a foreshadowing of things to come if we stay on the same path and keep causing the Earth to warm up.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Somebody forgot to tell us about the pending doom and gloom here on the west coast of Canada. Up until a week ago or so, we had one of the coldest spring and early summers on record.

Then there is this:

www.laht.com...

Peru Government Declares Cold Wave Emergency in 16 Regions

LIMA – The Peruvian government declared a state of emergency because of the cold wave gripping a number of districts in the nation’s 16 regions, according to an urgent decree published Saturday in the official gazette.

The decree covers all districts of the country more than 3,000 meters (9,800 feet) above sea level, as well as three regions in the Peruvian jungle that have registered strangely low temperatures in the last few weeks.

According to official figures, so far this year at least 409 people have died of pneumonia and ailments related to the cold weather, most of them younger than 5 years old (200 deaths) and over 60 years (158 deaths).

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by finemanm

82? Wow that must be nice. Here in West TN the average daily temp is hovering around 99. With an average heat index of 115. I'd give my right eye for it to be 82, even at night.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
This shouldn't be news.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Hypntick

82 is not the average high temp, its the average 24 hour temp. It has been in the mid to high 90's almost everyday this month.

The average monthly temperature in Central Park has been 81.6 degrees Fahrenheit (27.6 Celsius) so far, warmer than the record set in July 1999 of 81.4, said Matt Scalora, a weather service meteorologist in Upton, New York.

The higher-than-normal temperatures have driven up electric power use around the U.S., including in New York, which recorded its third-highest hourly peak load of 33,542 megawatts on July 6 when temperatures reached a record 103 degrees in Central Park.

www.bloomberg.com...

Around the world, above-average temperatures have been recorded in Europe and Asia as the Jet Stream, which divides and mixes warm and cool air, modulating temperatures, has stayed at far northern latitudes, Rouiller said.

This has allowed warm air to push farther north and has prevented much in the way of relief for the Northern Hemisphere, he said.

The world last month posted its warmest June on record and its warmest average temperatures for April to June and January to June, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Global temperatures in June were 61.1 degrees, or 1.22 degrees higher than the 20th century average of 59.9, according to a NOAA statement.

Same article.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mythic Chris
This shouldn't be news.

Why not?

IMO its very interesting news. But perhaps you only want to hear what you want to hear? Or maybe you have another reason for saying that this is not news? please elaborate.

Obviously weather happens and a heatwave here or a cold spell there means nothing on a global scale - but ots ver much news and very important for those affected.

As an aside, her in this part of Britain weve had a boringly normal summer so far - but elsewhere in the country its been hotter/drier/wetter than normal.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hypntick
reply to post by finemanm

82? Wow that must be nice. Here in West TN the average daily temp is hovering around 99. With an average heat index of 115. I'd give my right eye for it to be 82, even at night.

Right now, where I am in Wyoming weather underground says its

85 °F
Clear

new topics

top topics

join