It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another principle of Quantum Mechanics has been confirmed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
www.sciencedaily.com...

ScienceDaily (July 23, 2010) — When waves -- regardless of whether light or sound -- collide, they overlap creating interferences. Austrian and Canadian quantum physicists have now been able to rule out the existence of higher-order interferences experimentally and thereby confirmed an axiom in quantum physics: Born's rule.

In 1926 German physicist Max Born postulated that the probability to find a quantum object at a certain place at a certain time equals the square of its wave function. A direct consequence of this rule is the interference pattern as shown in the double slit diffraction experiment. Born's rule is one of the key laws in quantum mechanics and it proposes that interference occurs in pairs of possibilities. Interferences of higher order are ruled out. There was no experimental verification of this proposition until now, when the research group led by Prof. Gregor Weihs from the University of Innsbruck and the University of Waterloo has confirmed the accuracy of Born's law in a triple-slit experiment.

Another piece of evidence in favor of quantum mechanics. It amazes me on how much people think a lot of the standard model, and quantum mechanics, is wrong.

It would be enjoyed if you place your reasons to why or why not quantum mechanics is wrong, or right, or just what this means to you below this post.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Cool find.

I lean more towards quantum mechanics being correct (or at least mostly). The math and theory just seems to back it up, IMO.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Before I go further....

Can a particle, such as an electron, exist in two different places at the same time?

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I am no expert by any means but:
I can't see how the universe can be precieved and studied in a way that makes sence at all without using QM.

When I noticed that the Yin Yang symbol expresses the duality of particles and waves I was sold...

Here is a good one too...
put light through a horizontal polarizer
it becomes horizontaly polarized
but a vertical polarizer next
no light comes out
put another horizontal polarizer next

and light comes out....

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Quantum physics has already demonstrated that The Standard Model is flawed.

Entanglement's ability to violate the speed of light speed limit did it for me.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by EinsteinLight
Before I go further....

Can a particle, such as an electron, exist in two different places at the same time?

Yep. Atoms and molecules can do it, too. This has been experimentally confirmed, by way of the double slit experiment.

Theoretically, even the moon has particle/wave duality, which means it can exist in two places at once, until its wave function is collapsed.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6
Cool find.

I lean more towards quantum mechanics being correct (or at least mostly). The math and theory just seems to back it up, IMO.

I see it more as the experimental verification for quantum mechanics.

You would think that all the CRAZY stuff they are predicting is obviously wrong but apparently YOU DO NOT KNOW CRAZY UNLESS YOU KNOW QUANTUM MECHANICS.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by MarkusMaximus

For me it was a bit more esoteric. QM fit rather nicely with the historical world view of vibrations and energy in all living things, etc. Anything that tends to correlate with legend and culture of ancient history tends to garner more favor in my book

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Gentill Abdulla

Good article.

Quantum Mechanics has been confirmed in experiment after experiment and technologies derived from Quantum Mechanics make up 30% of our GDP. You're on a computer or watch a DVD on your DVD player because of Quantum Mechanics.

The problem is materialist loved how the Standard Model put the universe in a box. Quantum Mechanics destroyed that box and many of them can't accept what Quantum Mechanics tells us about the nature of reality. So you will hear,"Quantum Mechanics is incomplete" or "There has to be something else that will explain these things."

Quantum Mechanics tells us there's no there, there. The universe is filled with waves and interference patterns but nothing is causing these waves to occur. This is why we have to talk about subatomic particles in terms of probability because even at absolute zero their still moving via quantum fluctuations. This goes against the standard model that tells us waves are caused by throwing a rock in a pond or plucking a guitar string.

So there will be those who accept Quantum Mechanics and what it says about the nature of reality and those who look for hidden variables or magic bullets to try and turn Quantum Mechanics into the Standard Model.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Hi Gentill Abdulla.

If you have not seen it yet, you are ready to
look at the 3 DVD set linked in the first line of
my signature.

Blue skies.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   

wow!
yeah - the idea of "interference" has been on my mind for some time, lately.

i saw a crop circle today that immediately brought "interference" to my mind!

circle page

a-ha!
now that i look in more detail, seems i'm not the only one with that idea about this circle, reading down the page.

earlier today when i first saw the image of the crop circle, i didn't click through to the page featuring it - i was looking for something else at the time.

cool.

quantum physics is about the only thing that really strikes me as absolutely true these days - and by "true" i mean in the same sense that math is always true - it just is!

it rules our being-ness and our environment and defies explanation most of the time yet always, in the end (so far), bears up under scientific method with repeated measurable data.

i think it is the foundation of all things and the most important field of study because upon its principles, everything else is built!

just my .02
thanks for the info, my friend!

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers

For me it was a bit more esoteric.

cheer to that

“Nothing rests; everything moves; everything vibrates.”–The Kybalion.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers
reply to post by MarkusMaximus

For me it was a bit more esoteric. QM fit rather nicely with the historical world view of vibrations and energy in all living things, etc. Anything that tends to correlate with legend and culture of ancient history tends to garner more favor in my book

vibrational energies

that's what it's all about!

sound & color are perceptible manifestations of these energies!

not understood except in the fifth dimension which is most likely the third form of energy: information!

another important concept in QM.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by queenannie38

very good explanation queen. although it seems our senses are fooling us. I am touching a keyboard that is solid, but yet it is still a vibration. still can't bend the spoon though.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaytagg

Originally posted by EinsteinLight
Before I go further....

Yep. Atoms and molecules can do it, too. This has been experimentally confirmed, by way of the double slit experiment.

Theoretically, even the moon has particle/wave duality, which means it can exist in two places at once, until its wave function is collapsed.

Thanks. If a particle can exist in two places at one time in our three space plus time dimensions, then there is a good possibility the particle can exist in other dimensions simultaneously. The other dimensions could be on the other side of an invisible membrane close or overlapping the same particle.

[edit on 23-7-2010 by EinsteinLight]

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   

... THe doctor who's sonic screwdriver was based on science ... this is science - fiction : the fiction is just the story : science fiction is science based fiction.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by psychederic

... THe doctor who's sonic screwdriver was based on science ... this is science - fiction : the fiction is just the story : science fiction is science based fiction.

As a house sound tech using 24.000 watts to the bass bins I used to vibrate screws loose two floors up in the hotel where I worked...
I could never get them to vibrate tight though....go figure.
I couldn't hide the PA system under my scarf ...I guess that makes me a primitive.
still non fiction screw un driver.

[edit on 24-7-2010 by Danbones]

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Good thread Gentill, keep up the good work.

Quantum Mechanics is very successful but still has many mysteries and interpetations. And as you thread shows it gets more confirmations almost daily.

Personally I think our current theories are in a superposition of 'wrong' and 'right'

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightFantastic

Good thread Gentill, keep up the good work.

Quantum Mechanics is very successful but still has many mysteries and interpetations. And as you thread shows it gets more confirmations almost daily.

Personally I think our current theories are in a superposition of 'wrong' and 'right'

In superposition of wrong or right!

Just by stating the facts it changes.

haha

top topics

join