It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dog Catchers Now Coming Door to Door to Investigate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Last summer the state dog wardens in Penn. decided to start a door to door program to hunt down unlicensed dogs and fine the owners.

They are using a new computer database that lists every dog license and plan to search out every one who is not up to date.

"Wardens will knock on doors of homes where dogs were previously licensed to see if they still have the pet. They will also patrol neighborhoods looking for signs of dogs at homes where there is no record to indicate a canine lives there."

www.pittsburghlive.com...

What undisclosed consent are you giving to the state when you agree to enter into a license contract on your pets?

Why this shake-down for revenue?

Are other states following suit? Will this set a national precedence? Is it happening in your area?

[edit on 23-7-2010 by Alethea]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 03:37 AM
link   
I'd say your following an international precedence, I've seen it in most countries I've visited over the past ten years, including the UK, Australia, China, Germany.It has nothing to do with increasing revenue in my opinion. Whats weird is the amount of similar actions being taken by countries unconnected, all aimed at criminalising ordinary people, taking away rights, and of course making you feel small and helpless. Please someone stop the world, I want to get off!

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Now you see, it's over reaching authority.

It used to be, that they were there to prevent dogs in the street, but no, it's not about that anymore.

They want to know everything about what you are doing. What you eat, where you sleep, what pets you have, etc.

Sad really.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   
I would like to see them try and pull this on the dogs guarding the local crack or meth house. I'd go for a pay-per-view of that.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

I’m sorry, but I’m speechless…..

America??? WTF!!!

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   
This has been going on in my community for at least 15 years...as soon as you register an animal the first time they are at your door every single year to make sure the fees are paid.

Posters are correct, the dog catcher used to be concerned with strays. In my area now though they refuse to do this most basic of jobs...if there is no fine to be collected they don't bother (besides, the job goes to a retiree usually and they aren't going to risk it...that dog may be dangerous).

My parents several years ago got called in front of the town council for refusing to pay a fine that had been levied against them (they live near a park and bred dogs at the time, one of their dogs supposedly escaped and they were fined for it). My father played it perfectly...he waited while the dog catcher explained everything and even named the guilty dog and it's license number.

When he was done, my dad presented the Vet's records showing that the dog in question had been euthanized 3 years earlier after having a stroke at 14 yrs old.

Priceless.

I wasn't there, but according to my parents it was worth the aggrevation of the whole ordeal to watch both the animal control officer and council try to back-peddle out of the hole they had dug for themselves.

ETA...Since meeting with the town council my parents haven't paid any fees and no-one has been by to ask for any either.

[edit on 23-7-2010 by [davinci]]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Legal definition of License:

The permission granted by competent authority to exercise a certain privilege that, without such authorization, would constitute an illegal act, a Trespass or a tort. The certificate or the document itself that confers permission to engage in otherwise proscribed conduct.

In order for a pet licensing scheme to have any legal validity, it would first have to be illegal to have a pet. Are there laws in your state prohibiting pets? It is doubtful that any state withing The United States actually has any legislation prohibiting pets, as such legislation would more than likely be unconstitutional, and I am not talking about the federal Constitution, I am referring to any given state constitution.

In Los Angeles, there has been a push to make illegal the term "pet ownership", and have it replaced with "pet custodian". The difference in language is essential, as in the State of California the right to own property is protected by constitution. Thus, if someone in L.A. applies for a pet license, they are then voluntarily waiving their right to "pet ownership" and agreeing that they are merely "pet custodians", and that the City of Los Angeles as legal authority to dictate what, when, and where a custodian may do with their pet.l

In today's tyrannical environment, licensing your pet is a really, really, bad idea.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

I guess this is a neat idea for the pets.
However, the dogs living at my house are not my pets, I am their keeper.
They are almost religious to me as I practically live to serve them and comfort them.
Plus dogs are protected by animal cruelty laws, so we must make sure they are well kept.
And if all of that lawyer double talk is not enough for the lawyers.
I have the FINAL option, and for my doggies that is a no brainer.
Take my money, take the kids, repo my home, touch the dog and lose your hands.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
you're looking at your freedom taken away people, slowly but surely. next up, the right to use a toaster, door to door searches to unlicensed toasters.

i do not understand why its necessary to get a license for your dog. sure, they kill us but it is so rare. we kill each other by the minute. maybe the dog catcher needs to be paid, but i'm sure we pay plenty of taxes to cover that. maybe the politician want more money in their pocket and these dog catchers are taking a tiny piece of their pie so they want us to pay for the dog catcher too.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Looks like everyone wants to jump on this untapped source of potential high revenue!

From Chadron, Nebraska: Doggie ID to replace license

"The current license rule doesn't have a penalty for violations. Under the new rule, the fine would be covered under the city's 'blanket' fine schedule."

This means a judge could impose a penalty of up to $1000.00

(This was just published yesterday)

www.thechadronnews.com...

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
This is one reason I choose to live outside of any city area. In Canada, most cities, you are only allowed 2 dogs, and 2 cats maximum. All must be licensed. Cats aren't even allowed to roam anymore.

In some cities certain dogs are prohibited, such as pitt bulls, and rottweilers. Some others are to be muzzled when outside, licensed and leashed at all times. Hybrid wolf or coyote mixes are also not allowed. If a dog can be heard barking inside your home, you can be fined
and yet they are great protection.

I have 3 dogs, one isn't allowed (my coydog), and one isn't even like a dog (shihtzu). Outside of the city I don't have to worry about anything other than rabies vaccines, there are wild little animals that might carry this.

I understand making sure people are taking care of the animals they have, but this constant money grab and wanting to know if you have large dogs is getting ridiculous. As long as your large (or possibly vicious) dogs are not getting out, and are well contained and looked after, it shouldn't be an issue. Door to door sure seems like a money grab for broke states.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Bureau of Dog Law Enforcement ( This is for real!
)
State Dog Warden

" Violations of the Commonwealth's rabies or registration requirements can result in fines up to $300.00 PER DAY for EACH unlicensed dog or non vaccinated animal."

I have no problem with the rabies vaccine requirement, although some people may protest due to toxcity of vaccines or alternative methods of treating for rabies. But in order to get a lifetime license permit, you must submit to allowing your pet to be permanently marked.

"After receiving a license number, the owner is required to have the number tattooed on their dog before obtaining a lifetime license."

www.greentreebora.com...

I wonder when cats will rate having their own Bureau of Cat Law Enforcement. Run Pussy run! Here comes the Cat Sheriff!

Is Fido now to be marked with a bar code just like a bag of potato chips?

Seriously people, have animals really become this big of a problem? Are pet owners really neglecting the health and safety of their animals to the point that agencies need to get tough and stricter like this?

Are stray dogs running in packs in your area? Are ferral cats rampant in your neighborhood?

top topics

join