It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Korea deploys defensive robots at the DMZ

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   

South Korea deploys defensive robots at the DMZ

tech.ca.msn.com

South Korea has recently bumped up security on its side of the DMZ with something straight out of your favourite sci-fi novel or videogame: a machine gun-equipped robot.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Sorry im still fairly new to the posting, not sure if this is in the right catagory, also unsure how to upload pics of it...

This kind of reminds me of terminator with the exception that they claim it cannot fire on its own, but who knows what if something goes wrong and it just starts unleashing bullets at everyone, also i wonder if someone could somehow hack it and take control of them...

tech.ca.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by lost_on_earth

Oh intresting..... What you say about it unable to fire on its own, there was a story about robot (may of been turrets) used in Iraq on trial by the USA, it was claimed that it too was supposed to recognise its own side. Seemed it smoked about 15 soldiers.... I will try to find a source.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Here you go....

www.theregister.co.uk...

US war robots in Iraq 'turned guns' on fleshy comrades

"Ground-crawling US war robots armed with machine guns, deployed to fight in Iraq last year, reportedly turned on their fleshy masters almost at once. The rebellious machine warriors have been retired from combat pending upgrades.

The revelations were made by Kevin Fahey, US Army program executive officer for ground forces, at the recent RoboBusiness conference in America.

Speaking to Popular Mechanics, Fahey said there had been chilling incidents in which the SWORDS* combat bot had swivelled round and apparently attempted to train its 5.56mm M249 light machine-gun on its human comrades."

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
This has already been posted somewhere else, but it's still cool.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Master Shen long

Hmm i wonder if these are the upgraded robots they were talking about, these ones are stationary only, used more like defensive turrets, One thing i am a little concerned on is that the SGR-1 is capable of firing rubber bullets as a warning, i wonder if they will ever put these into use for crowd control, all they would have to do is setup a whole bunch of these to keep people from getting somewhere, or they could possible load them into vehicles, drive up and use them for crowd control... hopefully if that does ever happen there wont be real bullets in them, just the rubber ones,

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by lost_on_earth

Im not sure.... But 1 thig i am sure of is John Connor will be spinning in his future grave in the past.

Scary stuff whatever they do with them. If they unleash them during crowd control could get realy messy

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I hope it walks and talks like ED209.

"You have 20 seconds to comply"

[edit on 15-7-2010 by crisko]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Recently posted Isreal ia also trying these type of things out....
Training young ladies to operate them too.....

new topics

top topics

join