It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Banning F-words and nakedness

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I just heard in the news that F-words (and similar) and nakedness are banned against high punishment in the US (TV, maybe also movies).

But any kind of violence can be shown: slaughtering, torture, massacres ...

HOW UTTERLY RIDICULOUS!

The most common F-word means just the same as sex or intercourse. So why should it be worse?
Well, that is - of course - a matter of personal opinion, but should not be a matter of the law.

But a FACT is that any good psychologist will confirm that scenes of violence do MUCH more harm to a child (and anyone) than "dirty" words!

First ban violence, and then one can discuss the rest!

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I forgot:
Showing people naked is showing them how they were created by God. He didn't create us with clothes on!

Of course there are limits, but basically: Why should it be wrong to show a person the way he or she was created?

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I do not believe such nonsense. The whole idea is ludicrous.
Films, books, video games, etc - most of them are there in an attempt to display the lives of people, ofttimes ordinary in extraordinary circumstances. ORDINARY people swear. ORDINARY people are naked once in a while (well, everybody, not just ordinary people). ORDINARY people engage in intercourse.
I really cannot believe that they would attempt to re-implement some sort of 'Hays' Code' after all these decades of wonderful profanity, nudity, and sex.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by memyself

Dear memyself

The F work of which you speak is *snip* which come from fornicate which come from the Bible. I could not agree with you more.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

Profanity and Censor Circumvention on the Rise

[edit on 15-7-2010 by GAOTU789]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by memyself
Showing people naked is showing them how they were created by God. He didn't create us with clothes on!

I think, people invented clothes and evolved that's why we aren't furry like apes. But I used to run around naked when I was two, making that illegal would just be silly.
But your god theory could be plausible.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   
I cannot write those words here, but I'm sure a simple search of the origins of most of the curse words used today including hand signals, are not only non-English, but have no relevance to the way that we use them today.

As far as nakedness, other countries that allow being nude and being free, have less sex crimes than the US. When we teach that being naked is wrong we suppress our natural inclination to either procreate, or satisfy our natural selves, which causes and out lash of crimes (sexual) against one another due to, being bottled up to satisfy our peers and the rating systems then to actually be ourselves, the way we were meant to be.

There's a video on youtube about sex and cartoons, when you ask a person to draw a sexual organ, 95% of the time it will be the exact same picture, even though its not on their person, that is from sexual suggestion that is displayed by the same people who want to control it, by showing what they want to make either a profit or to manipulate a generation by subliminal messages.

Peace to you...

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Who wants to be naked anyway,with all your bits hanging in the breeze waiting to get hooked up on barbed wire fences .[SNIP]that!

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 15-7-2010 by elevatedone]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   
I will fight them and make my own movies with the F word and plenty of nudity.
Now all I need do is find a market for my flabby old nude butt and I got it made!

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
I sat there and listened /watched CNN show a script of the Mel Gibson tape, as a narrator read it. They kept saying "n-word" and "c-word" but both showed, and said GD.

Now my dad flinches when he hears someone say GD, as does his wife - both elderly and raised that you just don't take the lord's name in vain.

Are we more sensitive to racial slurs than we are to slurs against God?

(I'm not even Christian and yet that just FLEW out at me as being...WEIRD)

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 02:08 AM
link   
I think you heard wrong. BTW from who (nice links you provided)

Here is the story from ABC yesterday:
Court Strikes Down FCC Indecency Policy

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The U.S. Federal Communications Commission's indecency policy is unconstitutionally vague and could create a chilling effect beyond "fleeting expletives" heard on broadcasts, an appeals court ruled on Tuesday in a major win for broadcasting companies.

The ruling, by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit in New York, arose after Bono, frontman for the rock band U2, used what the FCC calls "the F-word expletive" during the live broadcast of the 2003 Golden Globe Awards. News Corp's Fox Television, CBS Corp's CBS Broadcasting and others challenged an FCC ruling in 2004 that on-air expletives that were not bleeped out were indecent and their use could be penalized.

The FCC regulates radio, television, wire, satellite and cable communications. In a statement, chairman Julius Genachowski said: "We're reviewing the court's decision in light of our commitment to protect children, empower parents, and uphold the First Amendment."

The U.S. Supreme Court had weighed in on the case in 2009, ruling that the FCC had the authority to regulate profanity on the nation's air waves. The high court declined, however, to decide whether the FCC's policy violated First Amendment guarantees of free speech and returned the case to the Second Circuit for a decision on that aspect of the policy.

"We now hold that the FCC's policy violates the First Amendment because it is unconstitutionally vague, creating a chilling effect that goes far beyond the fleeting expletives at issue here," the panel of appeals court judges said in a written ruling on Tuesday.

abcnews.go.com...

In short the news can now show video of events that contain foul language and not be fined. So grab your camera's and make some [snip]news!

[edit on 15-7-2010 by 12GaugePermissionSlip]

[edit on 15-7-2010 by elevatedone]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by memyself
I forgot:

Like totally, OMG.

If humans were meant to be clothed, then we would have been born with clothes on!

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Like totally, OMG.

If humans were meant to be clothed, then we would have been born with clothes on!

Or at the very least, fur, like our avatars.
By the way, Exuberant1, yours is sooooo cute

[edit on 15-7-2010 by snowspirit]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Well the slang word for sexual intercourse WE USE EVERY DAY IN CONVERSATION is banned here in order to better protect ad revenue. So for TV i would imagine its very similar.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by memyself

When I watch South Park I want to hear them say, "# you Kyle, you stupid #ing Jew!". I Don't want to hear them say, "Beep you Kyle, you stupid beeping Jew!".

And when I watch a movie that has nipples, ass and crotch as a purchased movie, then watch it on TV and all of that is banned. What's next? Should all women on TV be forced to wear a burqa!?

It's because of retarded parents that would rather keep everyone from seeing and hearing what they want because they don't want to monitor their child's programming! Give me my freedom to see and hear whatever I want, not just what you want me to see and hear! What I watch is none of your damn business!

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Should all women on TV be forced to wear a burqa!?

That would actualy be pretty #ING hilarious.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by 12GaugePermissionSlip

I freaking hate the FCC! Who the hell gave them any authority to tell me what I can see or hear, or should I say, not see or hear!?

Family Guy summed it up best.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
i personally refuse to cuss. the system is pushing cussing on us and our kids. they want us to talk like ignorant fools. they have pushed so much garbage on us that garbage is coming out of us....its sad that we cant even say one sentence without saying ten cuss words. ever seen Idiocracy the movie? www.youtube.com...
this is where we are heading...i feel really bad for future generations. they want us dumb and talking like fools......you can see it being pushed on us everywhere you look.

top topics

join