It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coast Guard promises greater media access to Gulf exclusion zone, but there’s a catch

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:09 AM
link   

After intense public outcry over members of the press being fined and prosecuted for walking within 20 meters of oil boom or spill response operations, U.S. authorities promised Tuesday that reporters and photographers would be given increased access.

Of course, there seems to be a catch.

The spill response operations commander, Coast Guard Admiral Thad Allen, said in a media advisory that due to equipment which had been "damaged", officials will attempt to "discriminate" between media and "somebody who's hanging around". The advisory did not specify what criteria would be used to make such a determination, nor does it say the Coast Guard is backing off the exclusion zone, which was claimed in some initial online reports.

The announcement does not mention the penalty for violation of the 20-meter rule; indeed, it appears as though a Class D felony charge and fine of $40,000 are still real threats to reporters who refuse to ask permission.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.
Source: rawstory.com...

I see what's happening, they are only trying to politely say that if you don't go along with their spin and propaganda, they will just exclude you entirely. "See how your *little media outlet fairs if you are the only one not getting the 'scoop' and you are arrested on a felony and fined more than you make". This is disgusting and people need to start calling it like it is.

If no names were in this article, I would think that I was reading about Nazi or Stalinist policies. TPTB are getting more and more blatant with their corruption.

--airspoon

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
sorry, but the oil spill is very far from where i live.
do i get you right on this ? no reporter or photographer is allowed to get near a beach that is contaminated ? what i see in the news, there should be lots of miles of beach with oil stuff swimming around.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by icepack

Yes, from what I understand, they are trying to keep reporters from reporting the truth on the situation.

--airspoon

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
If you're confused don't feel alone. Yes, there has been an attempt to stop reporters near the coast line. There's a thread titled something like *Suspension of the 1st Amendent* I watch ABC Nightly News every night & am startled by how clean everything in the back ground looks. Nice staging. Then we hear different numbers, every day. Different time tables, every day. Different plans, everyday. Confusion is the best weapon around & it's being used to the max.

My advice? Look up the definition of 'Contaminated' before you let your children play in that witches brew. Not everything is seen with the naked eye. I know the tourist trade is really important to the area, especially in light of the destruction of the coasts other primary industry. It breaks my heart to say this...but I suggest you take your vacation in the Grand Canyon.

k

top topics

join