It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ooops! U.S. Gov't Crash Data Suggest Driver Error in Toyota Accidents

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   

The U.S. Department of Transportation has analyzed dozens of data recorders from Toyota Motor Corp. vehicles involved in accidents blamed on sudden acceleration and found that at the time of the crashes, throttles were wide open and the brakes were not engaged, people familiar with the findings said.
The results suggest that some drivers who said their Toyota and Lexus vehicles surged out of control were mistakenly flooring the accelerator when they intended to jam on the brakes.
online.wsj.com...

So, will we see any corrections or 'fime-tuning' from the MSM? That doesn't sell subscriptions.

The findings are consistent with a 1989 government-sponsored study that blamed similar driver mistakes for a rash of sudden-acceleration reports involving Audi 5000 sedans.

The Toyota findings, which haven't been released by NHTSA, support Toyota's position that sudden-acceleration reports involving its vehicles weren't caused by electronic glitches in computer-controlled throttle systems, as some safety advocates and plaintiffs' attorneys have alleged.
"In spite of our investigations, we have not actually been able yet to find a defect" in electronic throttle-control systems, Mr. Smith told the scientific panel, which is looking into potential causes of sudden acceleration.

"We're bound and determined that if it exists we're going to find it," he added. "But as yet, we haven't found it."

That's the end of that. We won't hear any exonerating evidence, as it doesn't serve MSM (or ATS) needs.

NHTSA has been able to verify only one of those fatal crashes was caused by a problem with the vehicle, according to information the agency provided to the National Academy of Sciences. That accident last Aug. 28, which killed a California highway patrolman and three passengers in a Lexus, was traced to a floor mat that trapped the gas pedal in the depressed position.

Yet, we see repeated claims without basis in fact.

How sad.

deny ignorance

jw

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
the hoaxer who was going 90+ miles an hour and claimed it was the car's fault should be prosecuted for reckless driving and intent to defame toyota. We'll have to wait and see if he gets prosecuted, and if not, it means has ties to someone in power who wants to take down toyota.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
This is interesting.

I believe many were indeed making faked claims.

At the same time I believe there was something going on that Toyota was trying to take care of. I will watch this for a bit and gather some more information on it.

Raist

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

If this news were of a Toyota "study," or from an aligned interest, then I'd be skeptical.

The fact that it is from a branch of the Obama administration, in the face of an IPO from the "new" GM, lends it a lot of credibility.

I remember how the Audi 5000 scam drove down prices in the 80's
to where I could trade my 4000 for even money.

deny ignorance

jw

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

Any time money and politicians are or could be involved I like to look deeper.

I am not saying this study is incorrect mind you, I even state I believe many were frauds. I would like to see more information from maybe even another group though. Who I am not sure at this moment though.

Raist

[edit on 7/13/10 by Raist]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Raist

This probably won't help ease your skepticism (or mine), but today, Toyota released the results of their own "outside panel of experts," which pretty much refute the 'electronics' theory.Toyota To Study Quality Panel's Recommendations

The evidence is piling up on the side of driver error and floor mats. Who would've guessed?

jw

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

Honestly I doubt many of the drivers were “error” I believe many seen this as an advantage to get out of a car debt they either could not or did not want to pay. Face it the economy is screwed up for many Americans (and others throughout the world) right now and at that time as well. It was funny how all of a sudden every day you would hear of another one, two, three, or even more car going nuts. There is no way unless Toyota suddenly had a complete drop in quality checking that this would happen. Having done quality checking of various types of things for many years now I can say that yes people miss things, but unless you are just out right not checking things that many will defects will not get out even in mass production.

What I would really like to see that would convince me fully (so long as no money was involved) is for the people (like those on ATS) to do the investigation. But if more than a few outer firms did the testing I would eventually take the side that Toyota was completely innocent in the ordeal, with maybe some minor skepticism. I believe more than anything Toyota did a recall for some other reason. Someone dropped the ball some place but I doubt it had to do with sticking pedals (though a few might have been defective as it is bound to happen).

Raist

top topics

join