It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Science and Religion study the same thing albeit with different tools

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by vinrock

I am not trying to pit one against the other, I was trying to investigate the possibility that they are both similar in the notion that they are both exercises ordained by consciousness. Not necessarily to adopt another groups ideas or practices, but to realize your own. Certain thought processes lead to certain outcomes and I think the important processes intersect both religion and science.

I was trying to see the dynamism of this interplay of religion and science and violence and industry as a chemical reaction, I believe man is a fractal representation of other innumerable particles, and all his actions are merely the affect of the actions of greater (and lesser; cellular) sentience. Awareness, being the articulation of countless overlays of folded magnetic fields, which is what matter is derived from.

I see true religion as inexhaustible awe at the implications of existence, and devotion to the raw miracle of awareness through necessitated positive action.

Coupled with mans inherent ability to forecast future events using the minds eye, he is ordained to expand throughout the universe as a fungus expands, consuming resource to transform into the scaffolds that support him, elements. He will replace the universe as minerals replace a tree buried deep in a lake. Man was generated, and thus he will generate.

I am not trying to stir the pot or misinform, I am presenting the idea that these respective things Science and personal attenuation to ones ideals (religion), must inevitably acknowledge one another. They are firing arrows at the same target, ultimately.

[edit on 13-7-2010 by depth om]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by maria_stardust

I have to tell you a story about something that I did waaaay waaay back when I was in college. I decided to do a term paper based upon the notion that there was science afoot throughout the Holy Bible. This was at Utah State University, and my prof was not enthusiastic about the paper.

As a sidebar to the paper, I wanted to point out that much of the language was interpretive within context of the reader.

This all stemmed from me deciding one lonely night, that I would go through the Bible and highlight everything that strongly resonated to me as science. I was amazed. I stayed up all night and I had a majority of my Bible highlighted......... and I wasn't even to the interesting passages of Ezekiel yet!

So.... I went to various locally-accepted lerned scholars of theology to discuss my findings. I wanted first their view, and then I hoped to engage them in a discussion of what I had discovered. I was very amazed to find that all three of them were easily able and willing to discuss my ideas. This, of course, completely shattered my paradigms of the Mormons, as I'd cubbyholed them (in my mind) into a box of rather shallow mindedness.

Perhaps the paper was too charged with rhetoric, and perhaps my juvenile agenda was all too apparent, and perhaps it was just not a well written paper. I squeaked by with a C-.

I did the same exercise a few years later, just for my own benefit, trying to be very open-minded toward either direction. I did the same thing with the Qu'ran.

I believe that science and religion are completely compatible; I believe that they use different language to describe similar phenomena. Certainly there are stories in various religious text about people for which science has no offering. Just my..... very humble........ opinion.

I have been called a universalist before. I could swear both of them wanted to spit afterward. It doesn't sound so bad to me.

peace

Isn't it a very interesting time to be alive? I think it is.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by maria_stardust

Science operates in a vacuum and is free from philosophical constraints. In other words, it is what it is.

The only common factor that science and religion share is perhaps the quest for truth and knowledge. However, one is achieved through internal introspection and the other through quantifiable observation free from outside interference.

Very well said, IMO. I would add that both science and religion deal with variables which we, as mere mortals, seek to quantify.

Wouldn't it be grand if we discovered that they both held keys to facets of the whole truth....... which would require a... sort of collaboration to solve? I would like that.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by argentus

This inevitably leads to the overlord meme, I think tptb understand the importance of the twin gauntlets of science and spirituality. I was going to say religion, but the baggage allocated to the word turns it into a black hole.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by depth om

Both are from observation and written records.
Science is manipulated by the illuminati.
You know for sure Aliens by observation of Tesla aircraft.
You didn't see UFOs because science has answers for you.
Religion is the man to God observation criteria and illuminati free.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Religion, I think may be a prototype of a physics of the nous, the mind.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join