It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giacomo Casanova and the Freemasons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I heard Casanova was a high-ranking freemason. Does anybody know where more information could be found on this? Does Casanova ever mention his membership in his autobiography at all? I know he knew Cagliostro, who was a freemason, but from what I understand he did not like Cagliostro at all. As a matter of fact if my memory serves me correct Cagliostro ripped him off. Anybody have any kind of info on this topic?

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Mackey tells us: "Casanova claims to have been initiated in the latter part of 1750 at Lyons, on his way to Paris, where he was made a Master Mason. At Venice in 1755 he was arrested on charges of sorcery and of being a Freemason, his Masonic clothing being found by police and deemed incriminating. Not only does he tell of meeting prominent Freemasons in various countries but in Rome itself he asserts that several prelates and cardinals were secretly members of the Craft."

freemasonry.bcy.ca...

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Casanova, the world-renowned romantic, became a Mason in Mystic Brotherhood Lodge in Lyons, France in 1750. He appears to have also been a member of the Rite of Perfection and Rite of Strict Observance. He never expressly mentions these writes by name in his memoires, but does mention that he had received �higher degrees�, and gave his opinion that they added nothing to the degree of Master Mason. Due to his friendship with Cagliostro, he also may have been a member of the Egyptian Rite. Goethe even vaguely hinted that Casanova had belonged to the Illuminati of Bavaria (Goethe himself was a co-founder of the Illuminati, and his statement is probably accurate).
Cagliostro has gained the reputation of a swindler, but that reputation is not deserved. There was a misunderstanding that concerned a an expensive diamond necklace belonging to a Countess that went missing. Cagliostro was accused of theft. He was, however, later exonerated after the necklace was found, but unfortunately, he is still sometimes mislabeled as a thief and charlatan.

Fiat Lvx.

join