It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BT and TalkTalk challenge Digital Economy Act

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   

BT and TalkTalk challenge Digital Economy Act

news.bbc.co.uk

Persistent pirates will be put on a blacklist and their details can be passed to relevant copyright owners to pursue the case through the courts should they wish to.

The code of practice currently only applies to larger ISPs with more than 400,000 subscribers.
Continue reading the main story

We believe measures are consistent with EU legislation and that there are enough safeguards in place to protect the rights of consumers and ISPs

Department of Business, Innovation and Skills

This puts BT, TalkTalk and the other large ISPs at a business disadvantage, said Andrew Heaney, ex
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   
As we probably knew, larger ISPs are well against the tightening control on file-sharing. BT and Talk-Talk are two of the biggest providers here in UK and they're right, if royalty companies start getting onto people in a big way then they are going to lose a lot of business.

For those who advocate file-sharing this is good news, the people with the money are on your side!

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Whether or not I advocate file-sharing isn't my/the issue.

I personally see this as a further tightening of a free exchange of information, you know like all the other laws that get passed to gradually erode our freedoms.

I think this is one of the few areas it will be easy to make a stand though and I think the ISPs understand this. If for example Orange cut my service, or threatened to - I'd just go elsewhere and so on...

I still contend that the root of the problem isn't people "pirating" - it's simply that there's very little worth buying.

join