It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian anti-aircraft missile troops to see almost complete rearmament by 2020

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Russian anti-aircraft missile troops to see almost complete rearmament by 2020

en.rian.ru

22:15 03/07/2010

The arming of Russia's anti-aircraft missile troops will see 85% upgrade by 2020, Brigadier General Sergei Popov, chief of Russian anti-aircraft missile troops said on Saturday.

"Now, the main is to implement already approved rearmament program by 2020. This program stipulates significant characters for the troops I command," Popov told Ekho Moskvy radio station on Saturday.

He said the Russian armed forced would see 30% rearmament by 2010 and a 70% by 2020.

"My branch will see 45% rearmament by 2015 and 85% rearmament by 2020," he added.

MOSCOW, July 3 (RI
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
en.rian.ru
en.rian.ru
en.rian.ru
en.rian.ru

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
New generation nuclear submarine successfully launched in Russia
PAK-FA Tests Underway

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
With the recent events of the alleged Russian spy ring here in the US, it is interesting to note some of the news unfolding within Russia itself these past few months.

While a couple of the news links and ATS threads I have linked to are not exactly new, I thought they tied into this particular story and added little more breadth to it so we may be able to discern the possibilities.

Since the old Soviet Union collapsed and Russia has stepped into place, their military has taken a lower priority. It would seem, however, that over the past few months this is changing, as Russia seems to be picking up the pace and resupplying her military.

On June 28, 2010 Russian President Medvdev stated

"Our country will invest in advanced weapons - this is inevitable"
(please see first Rian link below for source)

Further, Russia is upgrading her submarine fleet and her aircraft to more current standards, as well as expanding her training areas and missile defense capabilities, including the newer S-400 air defense missles.

Perhaps this is all just Russia playing a little catchup after having fallen behind for a time, but it does ask the question of whether the Russian bear is awakening. And if that bear is awakening then what kind of mood will she be in when she is up and about.

en.rian.ru
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
The Post Cold War arms race? heh.

You realize the military industrial complex will be making huge $$$ off this deal?

Not just the Russian MIC, but the NATO groups as well. And everyone else for that matter.

As each faction improves it's weaponry, all other factions are forced to invest even more in improving their weaponry as well.

This ensures that every nation down the line will be buying new weapons.

Of course, this circle of arms dealing has been going on for centuries. It's the biggest business there is. Arms.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

So true. It's all about the money. It looks like the Russian MIC got tired of their American counterparts making all the money and they want their share.

I've also been wondering since the US put their missile batteries up in Poland when the Russians would counter with their own systems. I guess I have my answer.

top topics

join