It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gender roles really F me off

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I'm annoyed i keep coming across members on ATS that cling to gender roles.
"Men go out and hunt, women take care of the kids"
"Men are leaders, Women are followers"

I'm sorry, i think your generalizations of both genders is whole field full of BS. These people get threatend when someone steps out of their "Natural" role. You cannot accept someones right to be whoever they want to be and i think its BACKWARDS. I think its counter-productive and i think its fracking ignorant! What is it to you if a woman goes out and works? What is it to you if man chooses to stay at home? Seriously, what concerns you?!
You want to blame one gender for the breakdown of 1950's style of familys, You want to blame one gender for making it so that two incomes barely get a family by. You post stupid opinions saying women shouldnt be allowed to vote or own property because they didnt "fight" for the country BUT on the same note, cant explain why it was okay for the rich to avoid being drafted into the army while owning a substantial amount of land????
You claim feminism destroyed the west and then push ideas of patriarcal societys being "right" and "Normal"

Welcome to 2010. Men no longer need to go out and hunt because supermarkets bring food straight to your door. Men no longer need to be sole providers because women now have the right to work and provide, which is useful if the father is more trouble then hes worth.
With 6 billion people on this earth, how can you possibly dictate gender roles and expect people to be happy about them?
People should be free to do whatever they want and not be subjected to to this crap.
Things have changed for the better. Get over it.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
EDIT: to remove rude comment

Nice rant though!

[edit on 3-7-2010 by Signals]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I love women, but most don't tend to like me..
It's all in your head, love life, and get over it. People who believe there are gender roles are the people with the problems

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
The only thing I'll say is that in my experience, the women who fight the "gender role" thing are typically the ones who get the most insecure when they're not being taken care of. I'm not saying there aren't women out there who are strong enough to take care of the alpha side of things, I'm saying I haven't met many.

The probable reason for this is because I tend to like girls who enjoy the coddling and being taken care of. Providing is just something I like to do. I wouldn't say I'm a manly man at all, but when it comes to women, I like being chivalrous.

Its all about who you want to be.

Now I may not have hit an answer to the intention of your thread so I'll say this: People who disagree with someone else's lifestyle are scumbags. They're ultra conservative and most likely driven by a religious force that tells them to fulfill gender roles.

The only answer is complete equality and just being cool with the way people want to live their lives.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   
I think this is something that goes both ways. There are men that want their women to cook and clean but also expect them to bring in the bacon. There are women who preach out about wanting to be independent and what not but still are quite high maintenance and depend on their man to take care of them and then there is every situation in between.

I think men and women both are still getting used to the changes and some of these changes can take decades to smooth themselves out.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   
This was such a well-written thread, and on a great topic as well.

Seriously, your writing ability is top-notch!

I agree with everything you say completely.

There are many cultures around the world in which there can be as much as 5 genders. You should do some research on that. I will try and get some links to that information in a second.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   
I just think people should be who they want to be regardless of gender. Its messed up that we expect certain things out of both genders, for example, a man to be alpha and the sole provider. Or a woman to be emotional and needy. Why cant society just accept that there is a middle-ground to which people dont naturally abide these expectations.
Ive seen a rise of ignorance on these boards and i know its only a minority of people but its enough to piss me off.
I just want to live in a world were people dont make preassumptions based on what they expect of a gender. Its just stupid.

CX

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Go through a divorce where you have the kids more than half the time like i did, and you get no choice in taking on both roles, at least i do for half the week.

Tonight i've mended school uniforms and adjusted some curtains on the sewing machine, done the housework and helped the kids with thier homework too.

I'm in the middle of knitting a scarf(one of many for charity), and later i have to sew a teddy bear that has had an unfortunate accident with a pair of scissors.

Don't worry though, i have balanced it out with a decent weights and punchbag session, later i will be playing with my new Makita jigsaw...so i won't be accused of batting for the other side quite yet.

I just see it as normal every day life. It's being self sufficient and also teaching my girls that whoever they end up with shouldn't expect them to do everything around the house.

CX.

[edit on 5/7/10 by CX]

top topics

join