It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cut Social Security to Fund the War?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Cut Social Security to Fund the War?

alethonews.wordpress.com

In a remarkable interview with the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, House Republican Leader John Boehner explicitly called for cutting Social Security in order to pay for the war in Afghanistan. The article reports:

“Ensuring there’s enough money to pay for the war will require reforming the country’s entitlement system, Boehner said. He said he’d favor increasing the Social Security retirement age to 70 for people who have at least 20 years until retirement, tying cost-of-living increases to the consumer price index rather than wage inflation and limiting payments to those who need
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   
How did the politicians forget who their work for? Their primary concerns must be the welfare of the people who put them into office, isn't it?
How can they justify lowering living standards so they can continue their pointless and never ending wars?
You know it's beyond hope when they dare say such things, knowing perfectly most of the population is too idiotic to react.

sigh

alethonews.wordpress.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   
How about cut social security, medicare, medicaid and the war(s). We'll either have to do it now or later...unless you believe in magic fairies that eliminate debt with their pixie dust. I believe the role of government is to maximize freedom and welfare, not give you free stuff and marching orders.

FYI, I think this article takes the Congressman out of context anyhow...but regardless, we should cut both.

[edit on 3-7-2010 by yellowcard]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Social Security would be fine if they remove the tax cap on it.

The federal government currently imposes a $90000 "cap" on taxable salary under Social Security.
If they taxed everyone's entire income SS might even have extra money.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Or make the unemployed work for their money by seeing how many Taliban soldiers they can line up in a rifle sight.You get cheap cannon fodder and you keep the war going long enough to beat the soviets at "how long can you stay in Afghanistan before you realise you cant win".

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   
...sorry didnt mean to post.

[edit on 3-7-2010 by HrdCorHillbilly]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Why dont they cut the War budget to pay for the social security payout?

Why is a war more important then the very livelihoods of the citizens?

So basically he said- "war is more important, sorry old people".

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   
OMG end the DAMN WARS!

Dont cut SS!

thats POLITICAL SUICIDE!

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Has John Boehner gone loco???

I am totally shocked and stunned an elected puppet leader of his stature would make such comments!

Keeping corrupt foriegn govts alive and killing non americans is better justification for use of taxpayers fund than to help uplift lives of fellow americans in need so that none gets left behind?

I don't get it...

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Fools!! They should cut the war to fund Social Security and Border Security.

Edited for spelling.

[edit on 7-3-2010 by groingrinder]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by TheOracle

How about the US brings all its troops home to protect its borders,

Bans ALL imports.

Encourages US business to produce all it needs...

No unemployment very quickly!!!

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by TheOracle

Heh. The GOP was poised to gain seats in Congress, but as is usual, there's no need for Democrats to strategize themselves to counter the GOP plans. lol. You can always count on the GOP to snatch victory from their own hands.

I am a rather conservative person, at least that is what I think I am, according to years ago ideals, and I can always count on GOP critters to muck themselves up just as they seem to be on the cusp of victory.

Democrats aren't much better. They seem to shoot themselves in the foot, too, but republicans, oh gosh, heh.

Meanwhile, you all know that the age of retirement for social security purposes WILL have to increase eventually, yes?

The GOP makes an absurd statement through a major spokesman and is dismissed as an idiot. Raise the age for the purpose of waging war?

Meanwhile, the age will be raised later, but it will be made to look more acceptable for the masses.It's all in the presentation.

But both of these two major parties always get what they want. That's because both parties want the same things. One party is Yogi Bear and the other is Boo Boo Bear. They still get your picnic basket. And the ranger can't stop them.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 03:07 AM
link   
How about cutting the war to fund Social Security?

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

That's already happening with the all volunteer army. Do you believe that someone who has great opportunities at home just signs up now because they are patriotic and want to protect America's freedom from the evil entities who want to destroy the U.S.?
Aw, hell, never mind. I might be wrong. Probably am. I have many friends from my career in the U.S, Army and they are now encouraging and sending their own kids off to fight these wars.

My kids? I told them, if you want join the military, I will kick your butts, and I will kick them much worse than a drill sergeant will pretend he or she will do. My butt kicking will be a real one. However, no mercy will be given to you from people who are pissed off at you for invading their lands. They will make my real butt kicking look like a night being grounded from going to the movies.

Yet, there is no lack of bodies to send to wars right now, because there aren't enough opportunities for young people right now. And the goverment and the MSM talking heads create this false sense of patriotism.

I'm reminded of Muhhamed Ali, when he was given his draft notice to join the military and maybe go to Viet Nam. He said, why should I go and kill some little brown people? They've done nothing to me. And idiots claimed, well, you don't mind getting into a boxing ring and beating the hell out of another boxer. You're just a coward and just want to make money. Heh.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Taking on the AARP is more dangerous then taking on the NRA.
AARP has 40 million members.
the NRA only has about 4 million members.

This is another politician that plans to retire because taking on the AARP is a good way to lose a job in government.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by yellowcard
How about cut social security, medicare, medicaid and the war(s). We'll either have to do it now or later...unless you believe in magic fairies that eliminate debt with their pixie dust. I believe the role of government is to maximize freedom and welfare, not give you free stuff and marching orders.

FYI, I think this article takes the Congressman out of context anyhow...but regardless, we should cut both.

[edit on 3-7-2010 by yellowcard]

So, those who are retired or disabled, would not be allowed to get back what they paid into the system for so many years?

Why take it out on those who had nothing to do with the SS money being spent on everything but what it was intended for when our government started dipping into it way back in the late fifties, then went whole hog with it in the sixties and seventies?

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by kyred

Yes It must be tempting for a young person to join up with all the benefits that come with the military ie escape your small town with no job prospects,maybe get a trade certificate,escape the boredom and drugs being pushed in your face.very tempting indeed until you realise the reality of war and the futility of fighting for something you are told is a just cause only to find out you've been used.The current economic climate is the perfect recruiting tool and if you cut out benefits even more will join the never ending war on everything.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   

“Ensuring there’s enough money to pay for the war will require reforming the country’s entitlement system,

What is this man talking about ? He's out of his mind if he's thinking about taking on senior citizens, as well as those about to be seniors. It's not like he's talking about people that are getting handouts, that's their money, money that was taken from them by force.

Maybe there wouldn't be such a problem with Social Security if they hadn't been stealing people's money in the first place
And if they didn't give SS disability benefits to alcoholics, drug addicts, and children for cripes sake. Social Security was never intende to be used for these things, it sure as hell wasn't meant to be given to children, I'll never understand how a child qualifies for SS disability benefits.

What needs to be cut is the funding for the wars ! Bring our soldiers home, enough is enough already.

alethonews.wordpress.com...

top topics

join