It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hope for the Turtles in the Gulf!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Gulf Coast Turtle News: No More Fiery Death; Relocating 70,000 Eggs

source

Things may be looking up, ever so slightly, for the Gulf of Mexico’s endangered sea turtles. A few days ago, environmental groups announced that they were suing BP and the Coast Guard over the “controlled burns” that were intended to burn off oil slicks in the water; the environmentalists said that sea turtles were getting caught in the infernos and burned alive. This morning a judge was prepared to hear arguments on a proposed injunction, but at the last minute the parties declared that they’ve reached a settlement.

Awesome!
That was pretty quick, too, considering how long it usually takes to get on a court docket.

more:

According to Sea Turtles Restoration Project, one of the plaintiffs in the case, BP and the Coast Guard have agreed to station a qualified biologist on every vessel involved in the burns, and to remove turtles from the burn area before setting the blaze. This is good news for the leatherbacks, loggerheads, and Kemps Ridley turtles that make their home in the Gulf. Of course, it would be better news if their home wasn’t saturated with oil and periodically set on fire, but we’ll take what we can get.

it WOULD be better...but this is a good thing! a step in the right direction!

i hope things start looking up all over this disaster. something's gotta give and i can only hope and pray it gives the right way...

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Some refreshing positive news for a change, thanks QA!

A biologist on each boat should really bring some perspective for the turtles as well as other wildlife and systems in the Gulf.

I hope the same concern and effort goes towards the residents down there too.
Peace

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I'm with speck here.

Finally some good news from the Gulf.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
S&F for finding this one. Positive news coming out of this mess. With any luck, the onboard biologist will be able to give them some further perspective on saving more of the eco system before they just torch it all.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
YES~!~~

now, if we can just get them to quit using the corexit!!!

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Those of you in this thread that say "Good news" and " This is good" are beyond naive.

So some goons win a lawsuit against BP for a few million dollars, heck, lets just say they won a billion dollar lawsuit, but what does that even do? Where does the money from a successful lawsuit go?

Does the profit from a lawsuit then go to casting spells of resurrection on the turtles?

Is the damage fixed?

all this does is cause money to switch hands, nothing more. This is just more crap.

top topics

join