It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report says Americans get fatter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Report says Americans get fatter

news.xinhuanet.com

WASHINGTON, June 29 (Xinhua) -- Adult obesity rates increased in 28 U.S. states in the past year, and declined only in the District of Columbia, according to a report released Tuesday by the Trust for America's Health (TFAH) and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF).

The report also shows that more than two-thirds of states (38) have adult obesity rates above 25 percent. In 1991, no state had an obesity rate above 20 percent.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 06:03 AM
link   

The poll shows that 80 percent of Americans recognize that childhood obesity is a significant and growing challenge for the country, and 50 percent of Americans believe childhood obesity is such an important issue that the government need to invest more to prevent it immediately. The survey also found that 84 percent of parents believe their children are at a healthy weight, but research shows nearly one-third of children and teens are obese or overweight.

This is good and bad news. Good news is that 80% people realise that obesity is growing problem in the country. The bad news is people don't do anything about it. I saw a thread which said "Eating Healthy Food is Mental Illness" which can be considered so in extreme cases but not normally. The government should promote good lifestyle and eating habits.

news.xinhuanet.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   
id like to state first that i realize obesity is a serious problem.

ok.

i just wanted to respond to this comment you made:

"The government should promote good lifestyle and eating habits."

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I Strongly Disagree with that train of thought.. sure people should try to live and eat healthy, but it should NOT be mandated by our government..

the sad fact is though they are slowly but surely doing this, with things like the suger tax on soda, or the proposed salt ban in NYC.

its a very dangerous road to go down when the government can step in and say, "listen Mr. you can eat that bacon double cheeseburger if you want but until you lose 50 pounds we will be taxing you on everything "we feel" has excessive calories or fat."

~meathead

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   
All the newfangled cellphones, videogames, laptops, motorized scooters etc. are all contributing to this. The kids these days are texting ALL the time.....about what, Spongebob??? I have a hard time understanding this new take on "childhood".

When I was a child, we all played outside!!! Sports, summers spent swimming at the pool and riding bikes, winters spent playing ice hockey and building forts/snowball fights. Half the kids i see these days are no older than 12 and are already little porkers who don't do anything but soak up the various forms of media and entertainment.

This is all on the PARENTS in my opinion. If you're going to have a child, you should be spending enough time with that child to at LEAST teach them how to play properly. Sticking your kid in front of a computer because you "don't feel like it" is not good parenting.....unless you want a little chunker.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   
I do not think that it is just the USA. I see the Brits starting to outgrow their clothes, the Germans are getting bigger too. I was also shocked to notice, when I went home to France for a long weekend, that an increasing number of people are starting to look a little chubby. I aggree that it is our modern way of life. TV, computers, motorised transport and fast food.

We have forgotten how to get out and have real fun. When I was a youngster, we used to play out in the fields and go for long walks in the summer, play sport and.............well, we were just more active.

For instance, my wife's son comes back from school and is straight on the computer or playstation.

I think that we need to take a step back and review our lives.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLoneArcher

Agreed!!! And I must admit, you summed up the problem quite a bit more eloquently than I

I know that children enjoy videogames.....heck, I love them too! It's all about balancing the computer/videogames/media with some activity. Kids should be active for at the very LEAST a couple hours out of the day! It's terrifying to think of the health issues that will be arising in these next generations due to a lifetime of inactivity.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Has anyone considered that our chicken, cows and pigs are now all fed growth hormones.

Going a step further, when people eat meat that was given growth hormones, they injest the growth hormones too.

Think food chain.

The human herd is being fattened up, dumbed down, distracted and entertained.

Now ask yourself by whom and for what purpose?

I may be mad but dammit I'm going to figure a way out of this box yet.

[edit on 30-6-2010 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

I understand that completely, and it is a very REAL and imminent threat to us as a species. Our food supply is so obviously being tampered with, and yet the masses just don't seem to care.

I can tell you this though--i'm eating the same crap as everybody else, but with regular exercise and eating reasonably well, i'm happy to say that i'm in pretty good shape. Just making the point that it IS possible, and we need to stop making excuses for ourselves and our chubby little offspring.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Just imagine though, when the economy finally collapses, and the COREXIT and acid rains destroy all our crops, we'll be living high on the soylent green while all those other nations of skinny people starve and waste away. And it will be easy picking too, if you're not one of the biggie sized slow moving ones, lol.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Shamanistical

lol!!!!!

Thanks for the laugh, we need a little bit of humor every now and then when dealing in such depressing matters. Star

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
We're being fattened up by our reptillian overlords.

Actually it's a result of all the gobbledy gook they put in our foods to make the foods safer for consumption.

Which is quite ironic.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by evilminime

Americans got fatter, is that possible. If this keeps up soon the earth will be a moon of America. I wonder if this means they will have to pass a law to change the standard door size.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
It's not just America. It's all around the world. The UK is now experiencing the "epidemic" of obesity; they're about a decade behind.

-Dev

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Mike Stivic

I agree.We should be allowed to eat what we want.NOone has the rigyt to stop us.

We are SICK AND TIRED of interfering busy bodies telling us what to do.

Look at it positively.

No one in America dies of starvation unlike the blacks in africa who are always starving.

Growing bigger is simply the next stage of evolution and we are simply ahead.

We can destroy an smaller enemy by simply falling on them.

Also a larger size means a gun bullet will find it harder to kill you.

top topics

join