It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Research says good or evil actions can lead to improved physical performance

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Research says good or evil actions can lead to improved physical performance

news.harvard.edu

New research from Harvard University suggests that moral actions may increase people’s capacity for willpower and physical endurance. Study participants who did good deeds — or even just imagined themselves helping others — were better able to perform a subsequent task of physical endurance.

The research, published in the journal Social Psychological and Personality Science, shows a similar or even greater boost in physical strength following mean-spirited deeds.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Well this is an interesting bit of research that would seem to give credence to the beliefs that eastern religion seems to hold. There are many that believe in Karma, and this would seem to confirm some of what those people said.

It will be interesting to see where this research leads. Perhaps there will be more breakthroughs like this in the metaphysics field in the near future.

news.harvard.edu
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Nice info OP.

SnF

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
^ WOW I had no idea that would be considered an extreme violation of the terms and conditions. Guess I need to read them again.
Sorry if I caused offense.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Happyfeet

Gray’s findings are based on two studies. In the first, participants were given $1, and were told either to keep it or to donate it to charity. They were then asked to hold up a 5-lb. weight for as long as they could. Those who donated to charity could hold the weight up for almost 10 seconds longer, on average.

In a second study, participants held a weight while writing fictional stories of themselves either helping another, harming another, or doing something that had no impact on others. As before, those who thought about doing good were significantly stronger than those whose actions didn’t benefit other people.

But surprisingly, the would-be malefactors were even stronger than those who envisioned doing good deeds.

Very interesting, though I don't know why you think karma is involved here. I think the bit I posted above would actually contradict a theory of karma, no? If you get more physical prowess from thinking negative thoughts than you do from positive thoughts, then being a good person is less beneficial in the long term.

I always had problems with the theory of karma for similar reasons. If bad deeds eventually come around and harm us, then why do scumbags like George H Bush enjoy a lifetime of lawless debauchery?

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Son of Will

Yep. Same thing I was thinking. Nothing to do with karma. This just shows that you can channel powerful emotions into physical drive. I think it goes the same way with mental powers as well. They say there's a really thin line between madness and genius. My guess is that geniuses channel their madness into intellectual performance.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Son of Will

VERY GOOD question. It does seem the SCUMBAGS of the world enjoy a lifetime of bliss without karma ever touching them.

It seems the high-profile scumbags are above the laws, EVEN Karma.

[edit on 28-6-2010 by Shine71]

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Shine71

Karma is conscience. People who don't have a conscience don't deal with it.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Yea, that does make a lot of sense actually. Perhaps that is the truth of the matter.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Shine71

I envy the Evil, they have it so good I want to be like that but I have a conscience, why me?

top topics

join