It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

........That Liberal Press: Fact or Fiction?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 07:55 PM
link   
That Liberal Press: Fact or Fiction?

That is a question that will most likely never be answered to the satisfaction of most of American�s political junkies who bang heads on a daily basis.

A new report from the �Pew Research Center� shows some interesting trends in news consumption. Americans who regularly watch Fox News channel, for example, has jumped from 17 percent to 25 percent in the past four years, while other cable stations market share has remained stable.

The report also found that Republicans have become more distrustful of the major media in the past four years, while Democrats' views of media have been unchanged.

And online news has jumped in popularity, especially among minorities and older people. This report is packed with information vital to anyone who consumes news on a daily basis. SEE THE REPORT

people-press.org...

Ra

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Every major paper in the USA is either run by or owned by far-right christian-fundaMENTAList-talabanIAN wackjobs that refuse to report anything that actually resembles the truth about this bunch of thieves that are stealing our present & future, and lining the pockets of their rich cronies with the massive booty that was once our hard earned tax dollars.

Since its only the middle class that pays taxes these days they might as well be sticking thier greasy country-club paws right into OUR pockets!!!
Enough is enough people!!! Stand up for what is ours, like OUR country!!!
THEY HAVE DISMANTLED EVERY THING THAT THE WORKING PERSON IN THIS GREAT COUNTRY HAVE WORKED AND SWEATED FOR OVER THE LAST 100 YEARS.

ALL THE WHILE THEY SEND OUR YOUNG PEOPLE INTO HARMS WAY, WITHOUT THE PROPER EQUIPMENT, NOT EVEN ENOUGH AMMO FOR THE DOGFIGHT THEY'VE CREATED WITHOUT JUST CAUSE, BY LYING TO ALL AMERICANS ABOUT WHAT WAS THERE OR APPARENTLY WHAT IS NOT THERE!!!

THIS NEW BUNCH OF THIEVES FROM THE OLD BUSHCRIMEFAMILY HAVE TAKEN OUR JOBS, OUR HOMES, OUR YOUNG PEOPLES LIVES AND NOW OUR COUNTRY AWAY FROM THE PEOPLE WHO ARE SUPPOSE TO TELL THEM WHAT WE WANT!!! INSTEAD THEY STEAL AND STEAL AND STEAL SOME MORE AND YET WE'RE EXPECTED TO SIT BY QUIETLY WHILE OUR GOVERNMENT SIGNS OFF ON THE OUT-SOURCING OF AMERICA, AND GIVES THE CORPORATE CRONIE A TAX BREAK JUST FOR PUSHING HARD-WORKING AMERICAN TAX PAYERS - THIER FRICKIN' BOSSES ACCORDING TO OUR CONSTITUTION, PUSHING GOOD HARD WORKING AMERICAN INTO UNEMPLOYMENT AND POVERTY!!!!

WELL IT'S TIME FOR REGIME CHANGE RIGHT HERE IN AMERICA TOO!!! OUR'S WILL BE DONE LEGALLY WITH OUR VOTES, UNLIKE THEIRS THIEVERY IN THE 2000 ELECTION!!!! TAKE BACK OUR COUNTRY FROM THIS ILLEGAL REGIME IN NOVEMBER!!!

THE WHOLE BUNCH OF THEM SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM THE DC OFFICE'S IN LEG IRONS AND SHACKLES!!!

BY THE PEOPLE AND FOR THE PEOPLE, NOT THE CORPORATE WEENIES!!!

KERRY IN 2004!!!

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Well, just shows to go ya there are some very strong opinions out there�.Had you asked me to guess, I would have thought that the first one to reply might be of another persuasion ���.political that is, then yourself.

I have watched from both sides of the fence for the past 30+ years this debate rage on���early on conservatives (I being one of them) used the cry �liberal press� to explain why our message was never getting out����..later as the right moved forward in acceptance it became a rallying cry and fun raiser��today it seems its only use is in providing an excuse for some RW screw up.

Recently we hear the moans of, �Why do they always print the bad news stories? It makes people believe everything is not well��. There�s lots of good news THEY NEVER cover������.hear that one lately.

For me, I solved the problem: I read ALL sides plus the foreign press���..I make note of all the facts of one story in several reports��filter out all those subtle adjective, adverbs and other modifiers of meaning����..and you know what?........I get damned near the truth of the story��..

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 02:54 AM
link   
As a +10yr person working tin TV news, I'd have to say that the owners and most managers in media lean twords being concervative with the reporting, not because thats their political slant, but because they dont want to be SUED!!!....Broadcast outlets are terrified of losing $$$ like any other business would, except that because broadcasters are "high profile", they seem to be a bigger target. Just look at FEARCHANNEL and the FCC to see why the broadcasters are withdrawing from pushing the "liberal" envelope.

You'd be suprised at the diversity represented in any given newsroom....

Mabey Fox network news has shown such a strong increase is that viewere ARE tired of hearing "nay say" news...especially concerning the war, where fox waves the flag high and proudly daily....witha we can overcome mentality, instead of constant negativly phrased questions begging an answer that they want you to recieve.

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 11:36 PM
link   
So Caz..............it would be fair to say.................it just ain't as easy a call as some folks seem to think it is................

For me I like to make up my own mind and really get all tensed up when someone else try to tell me how to think or what to think.........be it direct or indirectly............... The good lord gave me grey matter for me to use; and not to be "used".......................if ya catch my drift..........

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I don't generally believe that there is a huge left/right media bias in the United States, to be perfectly honest.
There are liberal news sources and there are conservative news sources. Ultimately, it's the populace's decision what station to watch. For instance, CNN is generally considered more liberal, FoxNews (Or, as I loving call it - "The War Channel") is generally considered more conservative.

HOWEVER....And there is a big however...

Some 81% of jouranlists/news reports/anchors in America are self-described liberals.
Compare this to the fact that less than half of American citizens are self-described liberals - this number is about 47%.

Just something to chew on.
If you're going to argue about how rightist the American media is, I'm sure you won't go near the book "Bias" by B. Goldberg. While I think Goldberg is somewhat on a personal crusade, he does raise many, many, many valid points in regards to a left-leaning "liberal" media.

To be honest, though, it really comes down to where people choose to receive their news. I tend to read more "conservative" sources -- National Review, Wall St. Journal, etc. This is based on my own fundamental beliefs. However, I don't think that it's a question of how `biased' (or unbiased) the media is on its own: It's all about where you look for your news.

df1

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 12:42 AM
link   
The major media outlets represent those that wish to maintain the status quo, the extremely wealthy and powerful (think 10 billion plus net worth). Terms like democrat, republican, liberal conservative are a grand deception perpetuated by this power elite inorder to control the masses.

Does it make any difference whether you are getting screwed by Fox or CNN?

Does it make any difference whether the lies you are deceived with are liberal or conservative lies?

"The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words." -- Philip K. DICK

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 12:42 AM
link   
For me, and I�ve stated it before here. I read them all, plus the foreign press. Pick out all the facts from a story after I eliminated all the adjectives, adverbs and other modifiers��then I put it all together��.if there are, fact differences���I re-check. I�ve even email reporters to check their facts.

All news reports are biased. Either by errors, personal bias (both conscious and sub conscious), publishers� bias, etc�����. I trust none of them.

But to blankest statement the whole lot of them as being one way therefore all they say is lie�����..please, don�t go there.

If you want to see who is REALLY bias don�t judge them by the stories they cover; judge them by the stories they DON� Cover.

But our media, except for a few majors, sucks���we get no real news any more,. It�s mostly newsertainment����..

All these high profile trails of degenerates�����.we really need this crap to suck the time and space away from real news?

The foreign press is much better�����read it all and then the Foreign press, think a bit on your own, before you thing you have the real skinny on a story.

Don�t let any clown tell you what to think. God gave you a perfectly good brain���..USE IT.

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I believe that most television news is liberal as evidenced by the likes of CNN, Couric, Brokaw, Rather, Jennings, Lauer, etc. I also see it manifested in sitcoms and other programs, such as West Wing, Whoopi, Law and Order, The Practice, Mr. Sterling, etc... In Hollywood you've got... well, heck, just about all of them.

For radio, you'll notice it's a bit more conservative with Glenn Beck, Rush, Hannity, Dr, Laura etc... This is countered only by NPR (liberal) and the super-failing Air America with Al Franken(stein).

Print media is up in the air... Leftist tomes include NYPost, LA Times, Washington Times, USA Today and, believe it or not, even the Wall Street Journal with exception to their editorial page which is ALWAYS conservative.

In short, it is fairly balanced across the spectrum in terms of total content. However, since most Americans receive their news and political commentary from the television, they will more likely be subjected to a liberal point of view.

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 11:07 AM
link   
And if so...............like so what.

Is liberal a virus that's catchy?

What most forks seem to miss is the following:

1. Even if a source is liberal........it does not mean everything they report is unfactual and/or a lie.

2. Have you noticed that the "liberal press" charge is all to often used as a cover/ excuse of a RW failure. A smoke screen to distract folks from seeing the warts and pimples...............and this from the "responsibility' people. What a G-Djoke they be............... and ............folks but it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 11:54 AM
link   
NBC's "Law and Order"... One character referring to Bush as, "That dude that lied to us" and said, "I don't see any weapons of mass destruction, do you?" The detective that he was talking to replied, "Saddam used to have those weapons because Bush's daddy supplied them to him."

ABC's "The Practice" showed one of the lawyers decrying a "Free speech zone" that kept protesters away from Bush and responded with "What is happening to this country?" In another episode he referred to Bush as "That liar."

"The West Wing", created by liberal activist Aaron Sorkin, supported all things liberal... in every episode.

NBC's "Mr. Sterling" featured (liberal) Barbara Streisand's son as a liberal Democrat Senator.

As far as the talking heads in the news... PUH-leeeeeeeez! Anyone with an IQ higher than their shoe size can see who is liberal and who is conservative, the same with the radio talk shows.

As far as Hollywood is concerned, just look at what has happened to Mel Gibson. Then look at Barbara Streisnad, Michael Moore, Modonna, Dixie Chicks, Sean Penn, Brad Pitt, JUennifer Aniston, George Clooney, Robert Redford, Jane Fonda, Daryl Hannah, Richard Dreyfuss, Martin Sheen etc... All of these nitwits have unleashed, half-cocked, a littany of liberal drivel on the public.

Come on, Mcnulty... I know that you are not so blind as to not see this.

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Did you think I was arguing with you?

I say, ........."LIKE SO WHAT?(no yell. caps used only for emphasis)

I'm not into a "mine's bigger then yours" .......if you said the sun rises daily is about the same for me........like so what.

What does it mean to you?

Tell me that, Please! Some are liberal some are conservative some are nothing but stupid...............so?

Why is it so important to you?

I've agreed with you.......since day one....If I gave the impression it might be something else............I was wrong and this is the correction.

So I say once again....................like why should I care and why do seem to be so exercised???????????

I've been puzzled by this 'back and forth' for years now........can you explain it for me!

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Great post, Ra. And can you believe that SO wants to get rid of the Pit after such great prose.

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 12:53 PM
link   
American 'liberal' is still right of center. . .maybe it could be called 'center'. . . all American media/press I see is center or right of it. . . Conservative and Very Conservative. . .maybe Conservative and Not-as-Conservative. . . Don't fully relay on American media. . . Check British, other European, Canadian, or other foriegn media idea's and views. . .But your head might explode from the liberalness of it all.

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 01:31 PM
link   
My bad, buddy. With all of the bad grammar around here, I thought that maybe you were asking me for examples. Apparently not; my bad.

As far as "Do I care?" Nope, not really. I'm smart enough to go investigate both sides of an issue prior to formulating an opinion. AND I certainly don't let ANY political faction make it for me. As far as the who Lib versus conservative thing... BOTH sides are really partisan idiots letting others make decisions for them. But that's just my opinion.

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 01:54 PM
link   
What media? I though they bankrupt all the real media that was still around and...................yes they banned them from the air.

All we get right now is the 10 time edited big hair do's butox and plastic looking, anorexic and high pay domies.

Free and spontaneous thinking in this country is obsolete.

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
NBC's "Law and Order"... One character referring to Bush as, "That dude that lied to us" and said, "I don't see any weapons of mass destruction, do you?" The detective that he was talking to replied, "Saddam used to have those weapons because Bush's daddy supplied them to him."

ABC's "The Practice" showed one of the lawyers decrying a "Free speech zone" that kept protesters away from Bush and responded with "What is happening to this country?" In another episode he referred to Bush as "That liar."

"The West Wing", created by liberal activist Aaron Sorkin, supported all things liberal... in every episode.

NBC's "Mr. Sterling" featured (liberal) Barbara Streisand's son as a liberal Democrat Senator.

You do notice that you listed only TV show series', not TV news shows. This is the limit of liberal media on television as I see it. Thanks for pointing out that liberal views can only be seen through movies and TV show series'.

So who do you think the public is going to trust more, the raving actors/script writers or the conservative news anchors? I would guess that the news anchors are more trusted because they are just that, a source of supposedly "true" news for the masses. Conservatives have control of the media, with only a few rebelious liberals spouting their wares on the sideline.

-Attero

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 02:25 PM
link   
The whole thing boils down to one obvious fact. That in this time we are fighting evil poeple. But, it's not the taliban, al-queda, or muslims at all. It's those damn NEOCONS. Neo-conservative, evangelical, I Love god people. It's not that I don't believe that god exists, it's just that it's infinetely more likely that the GOD they believe in is just a Goa'uld. Or some other supertechnilogical parisite that want's us to believe they are almighty.
The proof is in the pudding, or in this case the BIBLE. It said that satan was the snake in genisis, but from what I read it sounds like the snake just told the truth. Then they say that god blinked man into existance...
IS ANY ONE FORGETTING THE LAW OF CONSEVATION OF MATTER?
It plainly states that matter is neither created nor destroyed.
Back to the bible.
If then god is as they say he is all knowing and all seeing then why would he have wasted his time in the first place, if he knew the world would end up like this? No answer? I thought not, so just be quiet.
But I say NEOCON is what the media is

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Attero Auctorita

You do notice that you listed only TV show series', not TV news shows. This is the limit of liberal media on television as I see it. Thanks for pointing out that liberal views can only be seen through movies and TV show series'.

So who do you think the public is going to trust more, the raving actors/script writers or the conservative news anchors? I would guess that the news anchors are more trusted because they are just that, a source of supposedly "true" news for the masses. Conservatives have control of the media, with only a few rebelious liberals spouting their wares on the sideline.

-Attero

Sure... if you are selectively viewing my posts and NOT taking into account that this particular post is in response to mcnulty's post where I though he was asking for clarification. In my first post, I very clearly pointed out the likes of Brokaw, Rather, Couric, Lauer, Jennings of the tv media. I would also like to add people like Moron Dowd of the NY Times, Regina Brett and many others.

So, NO, I would like to thank you for demonstrating how the liberal partisanship has perfected their ability to parse out only that which they would like to acknowledge in support of their own causes as opposed to addressing the collective information available. I bet you could get a job working one of those news desks.

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by jakken
The whole thing boils down to one obvious fact. That in this time we are fighting evil poeple. But, it's not the taliban, al-queda, or muslims at all. It's those damn NEOCONS. Neo-conservative, evangelical, I Love god people. It's not that I don't believe that god exists, it's just that it's infinetely more likely that the GOD they believe in is just a Goa'uld. Or some other supertechnilogical parisite that want's us to believe they are almighty.
The proof is in the pudding, or in this case the BIBLE. It said that satan was the snake in genisis, but from what I read it sounds like the snake just told the truth. Then they say that god blinked man into existance...
IS ANY ONE FORGETTING THE LAW OF CONSEVATION OF MATTER?
It plainly states that matter is neither created nor destroyed.
Back to the bible.
If then god is as they say he is all knowing and all seeing then why would he have wasted his time in the first place, if he knew the world would end up like this? No answer? I thought not, so just be quiet.
But I say NEOCON is what the media is

What in Heck are you talking about? If you would like to rant about religion, then might I suggest that you visit the forum for religious scandals. Your argument is both a non sequitur and a hasty generalization... in other words, it is a fallacy of the worst kind.

Also, I find it amuzing how quickly you grab the liberal media torch and use cute terms like "Neocon" which they coined.

As far as your Biblical assertions... it is apparent that you are clueless when it comes to the teachings of the Bible. If you had even a remote clue as to what you were talking about you would understand what God's point was in the first place. So there is my answer, and NO, I will NOT just be quiet... especially with fools like you wandering around ranting like a lunatic when it is apparent that you are clueless. It takes people like me to point out your illogical, wrong-minded drivel.

new topics

top topics

join