It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why We Need Something to Believe In

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 03:49 AM
link   
my.colfaxrecord.com...

Logic dictates, however, that all totalitarian political ideologies such as Nazism and Communism must by their nature be atheistic _ it is clearly not possible to achieve a state which has total power over the people if any non-government organisations (including churches) retain any influence over those to be governed.

geelongadvertiser

My whole argument against atheism is fairly simple. Basically:

1) If God doesn't exist, then that means that religions must be natural phenomenon. Unless you want to advocate free will, there is no other option but it being a natural phenomenon. (See part B).

2) What is this natural phenomenon? It is the ability for people to band together and share a culture.

3) Atheism is not disbelief in God, but disbelief in the divine - described in Eastern philosophy as equal to culture.

4) This disbelief in culture goes against the human way, and is not possible.

AMMENDUM: This disbelief in culture is a trap that arrogant societies can fall into, where they are miserable, but refuse to believe that their misery is caused by disbelief in something larger than themselves. In my opinion, this is part of what I believe happened with the Grays. Once your society goes from *belief* in atheism to nihilism and non-belief... I'm sorry. Which leads me to... nationalism (6)

5) In a certain culture, altruism exists because the culture acts as a single organism. Opposing cultures are very hostile to one another. For example: no matter how much atheists pretend to tolerate believers, they are extremely intolerant nowadays.

6) In order to install a totalitarian government with a dictator, one must go for a national culture. This means destroying all other cultural influences that get in the way, such as nuclear families, religion or culture.

7) The easiest way to do this is trick the people into thinking that religion is the enemy, by telling them that religion is holding them back, and to break up families by encouraging divorce and sexual promiscuity. Natural cultures like Native American or Black can be broken up by noting any cultural differences as "stereotyping." That last comment, I agree, is kind of dark, but true.

8) Culture is basically the minimum requirements that must be fulfilled before someone can be accepted and relax. However, in my experience it is also a field that can be navigated much like the internet by people who are attuned.

Lately, I have noticed that cultural field completely going away and being replaced by fluctuating, short lived cultural fields originating from clans of individuals.

9) If you are going to install a totalitarian dictatorship, you will probably be interested in forcing people to believe that they have to be complete slaves before they have fulfilled their cultural requirements. Or maybe you are an idiot who thinks that having a society without anything to believe in is a great way to live. In any case, expect complete reworking of reality.

10) This can be seen by the bitter atheist, who, without religion, is forced to consume infinite knowledge, good looks, and doesn't even enjoy their hobbies - but does them as a duty - because they do not know what to do before they can relax. This bitter atheist is also very hostile towards people who are not as talented as them, and even towards other atheists who have slightly different philosophies. In a nutshell, their life experience sucks. It is also possible that the atheist will become an empty shell of a person, without anything to believe in. Unless, of course, they are lucky enough to have some kind of philosophy or particular sect of atheism TO believe in. But this cultural organism will likely be very frail, short lived and possibly tiny. Unless it erupts on a national scale, causes death and destruction, and then eventually decays.

I am a proponent of Eastern philosophy or the possibility of a belief system evolving out of atheism. I just think that a cultural vacuum is a BAD idea.

Part B) Free will must exist in order to "trick" people into following a certain religion. In this case, spirituality must exist, although it may not be the same one presented to the masses.

It should also not be a duty to socialize a certain way, or lie, or make money, or have good looks. This promotes doing everything based on fear. This means you are controlled.

It should be love and your own choice to do these things. And the knowledge that having a positive attitude, helping other people and being part of a community gives you a better life experience, and even better, that what you are doing is moving your towards an ideal that you worship with comrades of the same vision.

Reality is that spiritualism exists scientificially. On two levels: the cultural, which means that even certain aspects of atheism could be considered theistic if there are values to believe in, and the spiritual: in other words, our minds are much more powerful than we think. As another ATS poster put it, our minds are waves and our bodies are particles. I am even conducting experiments at the moment that I hope can prove this.

Am I a Christian? Not necessarily. All I am saying is, unlike Dawkins who is a complete nut job, we have to look at why religions originated in the first place, what they provide and consider the ramifications of destroying them. If we do not do this, we might seriously run many risks including either becoming a slave society or a society of empty shells.

It might be time for a new prophet and a new religion, or a new chapter of Christianity, a New Age of belief.

For those of you who are skeptical of the spiritual and think that we are just lumps of meat, I am finally going to post my research project on a Quantum Theory of Mind for everyone to look at. I also have about twenty pages of notes in a journal that I can scan in for you guys.

In the future, I feel that the crusade against atheism (as the destruction of culture, the spiritual and the divine) is going to be so vital to the survival of the spirit of the human race that I hope to be at the forefront of the scientific progress in this field. I am willing to sacrifice my reputation and even risk anything from assassination attempts to smear campaigns in order to help bring the truth forward, whatever it may be. And that, my friends, makes my life worth living.

[edit on 26-6-2010 by darkbake]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Hogwash.

There are several "atheist" people who are equally "spiritual" than any of us. They just don't believe the fairytales about some bearded man in the sky. They are just very rational people who do not believe in anything unscientific. It's way better than blindly believing in the the bible.

Atheism is the future. But it's been said that everyone gets a "spiritual" experience once in their life..

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 04:00 AM
link   
religion is just a way for psychopaths to control other people, because they dont care about you and religion is the best tool for it

you can just analyze nowadays:

people prefer to look for answers in the bible or other book, than in their brain

who follows them just didnt realize that its impossible to base the same principles in a book, simply because books can have infinite interpretations, so, you need to be pretty slow to believe the only interpretation presented by the "pope" or whatever is the truth

there is no better or real interpretation, each brain can have their own interpretation; thats why sick killers use these religion books to justify their actions

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Tryptych

I never said I believed in the Bible, although I am currently going to church in order to at least feel connected to people. My church, the Episcipalian one, believes in gay rights and other similar issues, however they still believe that homosexuals should treat their partner with the same respect expected of straights.

I am more of a proponent of Eastern philosophy. These atheists you speak of must not be atheists at all, if you define atheism as disbelief in the divine.

If what you say is true, then I applaud you. This is what I am talking about. Bearded man in the sky? Not necessarily. But there could easily be a creation force, and who knows it could happen. But wouldn't the creator have to have both masculine and feminine traits?

And at any rate, the belief in this bearded man and his ideals has created cultural organisms that worship him and are very real indeed.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Faiol

Once again, I am interested in two things. Researching how cultural organisms such as religions work, what happens to human beings when these are taken away, and a more Eastern look at the reality of the spiritual. Both of which are quite feasible to look into.

The reality of Christianity is not in dispute, it exists. How does it function? I do not believe my research will ever lead me in search of proving that the Christian God is the One God, but there could be a creating force.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

man, divide? what would be divide

in my opinion something did create us, some species, us from the future in a computer simulation, or some event, ...

in my opinion, its impossible for you to not believe we were created by something and something probably intelligent, not saying it was their intention, but we were probably created directly or indirectly by something intelligent;

we need to realize that we may be the atoms in a bigger world ...

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Faiol

there is no better or real interpretation, each brain can have their own interpretation; thats why sick killers use these religion books to justify their actions

You have been tricked. The sick killers that use the religious books to justify their acts are not following the true Word of the Lord. If you were to actually go to a church, you might begin to understand what this means, and realize that the mainstream media is demonizing religion and blowing it out of proportion.

Do not forget that there have been atheists with their own agendas that have caused mass genocide: think Stalin, Mao and Hitler. Who knows, your bitterness towards believers might make you a follower of the next one.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 04:20 AM
link   

religion is an illusion, a tool, like I said above, to make people believe they cant imagine what this world is or what we are

if people lost religion but gained information, they would be able to created their own personal "religion" (beliefs) and with that, the whole world would gain, since we wouldnt have to live as GANGS like we do right now

one group thinks they are better than the other, and its amazing, because they base they religion in books that could be interpreted in infinite ways

so, lets use logic, the pope interpretation of the bible is the only one? no ... why would it be better than my interpretation? people are just misinformed, thats why they believe, and lets be real, most people are slow, and its much easy having someone to think for them

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 04:21 AM
link   

man, divide? what would be divide

in my opinion something did create us, some species, us from the future in a computer simulation, or some event, ...

in my opinion, its impossible for you to not believe we were created by something and something probably intelligent, not saying it was their intention, but we were probably created directly or indirectly by something intelligent;

we need to realize that we may be the atoms in a bigger world ...

Sorry, dude. I meant divine. And I believe that extra-terrestrials could play a part in the origin of mankind, but it still has a spiritual aspect, in other words we are still capable of free will and astral projection, having an afterlife, etc. and also, there would have to be a creation force still in the universe.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Faiol

I agree with you more or less. However, I have experienced life while trying to figure out a belief system that is not mainstream and sometimes I get scared #less because I can't relate to anyone else.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkbake

You have been tricked. The sick killers that use the religious books to justify their acts are not following the true Word of the Lord. If you were to actually go to a church, you might begin to understand what this means, and realize that the mainstream media is demonizing religion and blowing it out of proportion.

Do not forget that there have been atheists with their own agendas that have caused mass genocide: think Stalin, Mao and Hitler. Who knows, your bitterness towards believers might make you a follower of the next one.

what do you mean, the TRUE word of the lord

the true lord of the lord is based in ONE interpretation of the bible, but I can make another interpretation right now;

and there is just no parameter to know which one is the better or the true meaning of the book, because a freaking book doesnt have just one meaning, it can be interpreted the way you want, to fit your agenda

I just cant believe you didnt understand what I said, anyoen can interpret any book the way you want, there is no TRUE interpretation of the bible or any other book

and really, the church interpretation is not really a scientific interpretation, so they cant even say that it makes sense ...

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 04:34 AM
link   
i think some people might be mis interpreting the OP i dont think the OP is saying if you are an atheist you will be a shell or unhappy. i think he/she is saying that without a set of solid beliefs and a group that share those beliefs the human spirit will suffer.

for the most part i agree. without purpose there is no point in existing. existing for the sake of existing is in my opinion anyway pointless.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkbake

what do you mean, the TRUE word of the lord

the true lord of the lord is based in ONE interpretation of the bible, but I can make another interpretation right now;

and there is just no parameter to know which one is the better or the true meaning of the book, because a freaking book doesnt have just one meaning, it can be interpreted the way you want, to fit your agenda

I just cant believe you didnt understand what I said, anyoen can interpret any book the way you want, there is no TRUE interpretation of the bible or any other book

and really, the church interpretation is not really a scientific interpretation, so they cant even say that it makes sense ...

people get fired up when religion is mentioned it like their brain overheats and they stop reading what your saying and start READING WHAT THEY WANT TO READ OUT OF IT. I wouldnt worry about it too much. people who are fanatical about religion are usually suffering from one complex or another. if they have common sense to see the Hypocrisy of what the church says and does nothing you say is going to chance their mind.

new topics

top topics

join