It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Costner cleanup device gets high marks from BP

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   

It was treated as an oddball twist in the otherwise wrenching saga of the BP oil spill when Kevin Costner stepped forward to promote a device he said could work wonders in containing the spill's damage. But as Henry Fountain explains in the New York Times, the gadget in question — an oil-separating centrifuge — marks a major breakthrough in spill cleanup technology.

And BP, after trial runs with the device, is ordering 32 more of the Costner-endorsed centrifuges to aid the Gulf cleanup. "Doug Suttles was the first guy to step up in the oil industry," Costner said at the presser, "and I'm really happy to say when he ordered 32 machines, it's a signal to the world, to the industry, where we need to be."

Suttles said the additional machines will be used to build four new deep-water systems: on two barges and two 280-foot supply boats.

"We tested it in some of the toughest environments we could find, and actually what it's done — it's quite robust," Suttles said. "This is real technology with real science behind it, and it's passed all of those tests." He added that Costner's device has proved effective at processing 128,000 barrels of water a day, which "can make a real difference to our spill response efforts."

Source - Yahoo news

And people say celebrities and actors are good for nothing. Pretty amazing development that a former action movie hero would be the one to step in and actually offer a legitimate solution to cleaning up the massive BP spill.

Costner has spent $20 million of his own money over the last 15 years to develop this idea of a centrifuge that will clean 99% of the water that it absorbs, and now BP is buying over 30 of the machines after initial tests have been highly successful.

I really hope this works, we could use any help we can get right now.

Good job Kevin Costner, you were a decent actor, and apparently smarter and more innovative than BP, the EPA and the federal government combined.

Salute.

[edit on 25-6-2010 by BlackOps719]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
It is still limited to what the skimmers can feed it, sure it can separate 128k barrels but someone needs to skim those barrels to feed this monster. The biggest, baddest skimmers on site now can at best skim 1000 barrels a day if nothing goes wrong and the seas are calm. This is much ado about nothing. Only people that do not understand how it works get excited about it.
The machines will probably end up on a tanker barge, pumping fluid from on tank to another and getting rid of saltwater over the side.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Just Wondering

If these machines will do so little and the effort is so futile why are they even bothering to deploy these machines to begin with?

What would be the point of spending millions of dollars on 30+ machines that wont even dent the problem?

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

Thanks for some good news for a change. 20 million of his own money, I am impressed. Why the heck didn't they use this 2 months ago when Costner brought it up? Oh well, I guess enough attention was brought to his efforts to give em' a try. Best wishes and fingers crossed....

I found this idea to be amazing, successful and effective!
Posted by freighttrain - www.abovetopsecret.com...

Gulf Oil Spill Solution Restores Environment In Six Weeks

Thanks for the post,
Peace

[edit on 25-6-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Thats what I was thinking as well, Hey some good news for a change!!

But according to Mr. BP over here this wont do any good.

Good to see somebody trying to actually do SOMETHING about this mess, even if it is all for nothing.

I am beginning to really hate BP. Hate. BP.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

I hope it's not just too little too late. If it works maybe they can manufacture more or a bigger version. Let's just keep the solution lines open huh?

Costner Testifies Before Sci And Tech Committee

Peace

[edit on 25-6-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
great news But i would like to see some machines employed in the wetland areas......

still this is very positive indeed.

Mr. Costner I always liked him my favourite movie was dances with wolves and Silverado......I enjoy westerns!

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I still like mine better.(currently under review)
2nd line

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Hi marks from BP... now that's reassuring

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
It may be a little late,but you know what they say better late than never.I am up for anything that will help this situation out. Whatever it can do is a lot better than not having these machines. every little bit helps.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719
reply to post by Just Wondering

If these machines will do so little and the effort is so futile why are they even bothering to deploy these machines to begin with?

What would be the point of spending millions of dollars on 30+ machines that wont even dent the problem?

Public relations maybe.. to shut Kevin Costner up?

new topics

top topics

join