It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ideas about what we as individuals can do

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
List some ideas....

Im tiring of hearing all of the griping and not many practical ideas or solutions to the mess in the gulf. Not the spill or the lies... but the real issue of the human lives being impacted. Its not always about the catastrophe itself, but our reaction to it and caring for our fellow man. The govt is supposed to be there when disasters happen... ours seems to stick its fingers in everything when its not needed and is curiously absent when its actually needed. If you havent figured it out yet, we need to become more of the mind of caring for our own. There is no one to fall back on but ourselves now. Fellow Americans are suffering and its only going to get worse.

Here is one of my ideas:
Opening my home to displaced folks. When they are forced to relocate, each of us can open our home to whomever we can. Id rather be crowded than see ONE American in another toxic trailer or FEMA camp. The economy sucks, but wouldnt you rather do without cable and the extras to hep another human being?

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
We can all meet up and drive to Louisiana dressed as a team of Captain Planets.

But seriously.

I have pondered this myself. I don't know if there is much to be done right now. We can't join cleanup crews for the oil and the animals seeing as they are trained professionals, more so the animal rescue teams. Oil still hasn't hit many places, and will just continue to make land fall even after the gush is stopped, if it is ever stopped. That's why I think there are not many oil cleanup crews down there. What is there now is just a fraction of what is to come.

I guess unless you are trained in handling animals, you can't do much besides "boycott BP" which won't do much, considering many gas station are locally owned and they may be BP and get their gas from shell, or be Shell and get their gas from BP.

I am weary of donations considering the scam threat.

But in all honesty, even though my first sentence was a joke, to me that is the most doable, sans costumes. Driving down there go give the people money or to help them in any way, though a daunting and almost unrealistic idea, is probably the most sure fire way to get something done.

The worst hasn't even happened yet.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
My post showed up twice...

[edit on 24-6-2010 by SubPop79]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
If you are a local. Start by documenting your own experience, spreading the word and most importantly going to public town hall meetings, neighborhood association meetings, etc . If there aren't any in your area, try organizing one. There have been many in my area.

More individuals have to speak out, because as it is now, there are mostly local politicians and large business owners that only care about one thing, and I think we all know what that is.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Start gathering locally at your city halls to find businessmen and judges who can begin proactive measures.

Step one: do not include or inform BP or Federal servants of your decisions or actions. Cut them out of the loop.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
If anyone on ATS has information or contacts in the affected areas, perhaps a nice link?

I'm thinking local charities, aldermen, that kind of thing? Trusted food banks? The kind of contacts that could be trusted and verified publicly...

Insider information here would allow those who wish to donate to do so in a safe and truly effective way.

Help us help you.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dixie70
List

Here is one of my ideas:
Opening my home to displaced folks. When they are forced to relocate, each of us can open our home to whomever we can. Id rather be crowded than see ONE American in another toxic trailer or FEMA camp. The economy sucks, but wouldnt you rather do without cable and the extras to hep another human being?

yeah, theres a large network that called 'Intentional Communities'... it can be as unique and as small as a residential house, wher you take-in an individual or perhaps a couple & we all share responsibilities...

i ain't about to turn my place into a flophouse, for lazy freeloaders no matter what... now a displaced person would be welcome for a month no questions asked, but a person that wants to hobo it permanently can go to the shelter & eat at the local community kitchen...

i will screen applicants to reside at this Intentional Home in myrtle beach...
most likely available after Sept-Nov 2010, will be 1 private bedroom, shared hall bath, community LR & utility room, car port relax area, & stake out your intensive garden spot

an Intentional Residence has a flexible list of requirements

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
The only problem I have with most charities is that a lot of the funds are mismanaged and do not reach the people that are in need....so if donating please do your own research and go with your gut if something seems fishy.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Thank you for your thread.

I was just posting on another thread (the focus of the thread complaining about all the 'lies') - that yeah, we're being lied to - BUT - in the end, just protesting the lies does NOTHING.

If people really want to help they've got to close their mouth and get into action.

Nice to see others feel the same.

I'd love to help - problem is I'm overseas at the time.
Maybe, just maybe, It's time to go back...

You've got me thinking.

peace and thank you

[edit on 24-6-2010 by silo13]

new topics

top topics

join